Vertigo

JeJeTe

Happiness
I woke up one morning last week with the room spinning and me nauseous. The dr said it's vertigo from the fluid in my ears from the strep I had the week before. Anybody had this before? How long does it take to go away? Anything you take for it?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Did your doctor not prescribe you an antibiotic? :jameo: Take a lot of decongestants (sp?) even if he did. And I used OTC ear drops and compresses for pain.

Can take up to two weeks to clear up, depending.

I had fluid in my ears caused by medication. It took a month for mine to clear up.

Last edited:

JeJeTe

Happiness
I've had it but I was told it was an ear infection and not fluid. Miserable feeling isn't it? I got an antibiotic for it and it cleared up within a day or two.
It's the worst. The nausea is gone which I'm glad for but the vertigo feeling is really getting to me when it comes to driving, walking, etc. SHe said my ears looked fine, no infection just fluid.

Did your doctor not prescribe you an antibiotic? :jameo: Take a lot of decongestants (sp?) even if he did. And I used OTC ear drops and compresses for pain.

Can take up to two weeks to clear up, depending.

I had fluid in my ears caused by medication. It took a month for mine to clear up.

They did for the strep but that's it becuase she said my ears weren't infected. She gave me a nasal spray to open eveything up, someone for the nausea, an antihistamine to dry things up and then something that helps the dizziness. I think I'm going to start taking Sudafed to help everything out.

The OTC ear drops are a good idea. Something to help to help dry it up.

JeJeTe

Happiness
:yeahthat: I didn't have vertigo but I was extremely uncomfortable. Fluid wasn't going away and finally had to go get antibiotics :dead:

I'm not uncomfortable in the sense that my ears don't hurt. But the room spinning feel is aggravating as hell.

Midnightrider

I'm not uncomfortable in the sense that my ears don't hurt. But the room spinning feel is aggravating as hell.

antibiotics arent going to do anything for you. Meclizine is what you want. If you dont have a perscription you can use Bonine, it is OTC.
Vertigo can last a day or two up to a couple of weeks. One of the things the Dr told me to try was that if i moved my head in a direction that caused vertigo, to move in in the same way several times as fast as possible. That helped it end faster.

In the end its a pain in the ass but it goes away on its own.

JeJeTe

Happiness
antibiotics arent going to do anything for you. Meclizine is what you want. If you dont have a perscription you can use Bonine, it is OTC.
Vertigo can last a day or two up to a couple of weeks. One of the things the Dr told me to try was that if i moved my head in a direction that caused vertigo, to move in in the same way several times as fast as possible. That helped it end faster.

In the end its a pain in the ass but it goes away on its own.

I have Meclizine. I've been taking it 3 times a day. Hmm..I'll have to try moving me head. Do it several times for several times a day?

Good thing I have nausea meds. :lol:

Midnightrider

I have Meclizine. I've been taking it 3 times a day. Hmm..I'll have to try moving me head. Do it several times for several times a day?

Good thing I have nausea meds. :lol:

yep, several times, several times a day.

You can also try laying on the floor facing up. Be very still for 5-10 minutes then roll 90 degrees onto your side. repeat and then roll 90 more degrees onto your stomach, repeat and then roll onto your other side to finish up.

They say that vertigo is a common occurance as we get older. You will likely get it again in the future.

JeJeTe

Happiness
yep, several times, several times a day.

You can also try laying on the floor facing up. Be very still for 5-10 minutes then roll 90 degrees onto your side. repeat and then roll 90 more degrees onto your stomach, repeat and then roll onto your other side to finish up.

They say that vertigo is a common occurance as we get older. You will likely get it again in the future.

I just found Youtube videos for this. Thanks so much!

Ugh, I don't want to hear that. :lol:

punjabigyrl

Hope you feel better. One thing I learnt, was that sometimes people get vertigo because their VITAMIN D level is below what your body needs so as a result you develop vertigo. While you are at it get your D levels checked. For the last 4 years, I've been after my Father-in-law to get his checked because he was constantly getting vertigo. He went to the doctor and told him to check his D levels. He claimed that I was being paranoid. Long story short took him to another doctor found out his vitamin d was so low that he now has permanent damage to his nerves on his finger tips. He can't feel hot or cold and he's lost some sensation on his upper arm. Had to be on d shots for 2 years and now has to take d meds for the rest of his life. The first doctor was not happy after I got done visiting him and giving him an earful.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I had vertigo for several months. Was doing the meclizine and such. It managed it, but it never completely went away. I started taking Chantix to quit smoking and it went away completely about 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill. Pretty good side effect it had on me. :yay:

luvmygdaughters

Hope you feel better sweets. :poorbaby: A woman I worked with had it also, lasted about a week, the doctor told her was from an inner ear infection.

JeJeTe

Happiness
I had vertigo for several months. Was doing the meclizine and such. It managed it, but it never completely went away. I started taking Chantix to quit smoking and it went away completely about 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill. Pretty good side effect it had on me. :yay:

Seriously? Hmm...If it goes on longer than a week or so they said it should due to the ear infection, I'll bring these up. I'm taking the Meclizine short term now to help.