VFW Expects Apology From POTUS

transporter

Odd...more news our dear Comrade GURPS didn't post....none of the self proclaimed "Patriots" or supporters of our troops bothered to post this either.

I wonder why? I've been waiting for some to put this up...

VFW Expects Apology From POTUS

KANSAS CITY, Mo. –
"In light of today's announcement from the defense department that 34 U.S. service members suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of Iran's retaliatory strike and President Trump's remarks which minimized these troops’ injuries, the Veterans of Foreign Wars cannot stand idle on this matter.

The VFW expects an apology from the president to our service men and women for his misguided remarks. And, we ask that he and the White House join with us in our efforts to educate Americans of the dangers TBI has on these heroes as they protect our great nation in these trying times. Our warriors require our full support more than ever in this challenging environment." — William “Doc” Schmitz, VFW National Commander.

gemma_rae

Civilization Expects Apology From TranStupidus.

SoMD online, MD
Normal persons from life expect apology for extreme stupidity from deeply disturbed poster Transtupidus, along with buttkiss awschiff

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It states who he is within the link that was posted.

Trump comparing serious head injuries to mere headaches just shows he doesn't have a clue.
Actually the commander of the VFW would be the one with no clue, unless he accessed private medical records..
I do think Trump downplayed it, but it is true that more than half of those injured were returned to duty within a day..

I haven't seen an update on the remaining ones, but I would expect if they were more serious that yes, Trump would apologize and would provide further detail.

Barabbas

Actually the commander of the VFW would be the one with no clue, unless he accessed private medical records..
I do think Trump downplayed it, but it is true that more than half of those injured were returned to duty within a day..

I haven't seen an update on the remaining ones, but I would expect if they were more serious that yes, Trump would apologize and would provide further detail.
I suspect Trump gave out the information IAW how he was briefed - accurate as he understood it, as it was explained to him

As the Buck Stops Here guy, it absolutely is his responsibility to correct the record. I'm not sure apologize is the right action, but certainly updating his previous remarks is appropriate (if the problems are actually different from what he reported).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Trump relayed the information he received. All the news media - even the Trump hating ones - were reporting no serious injuries. I'm guessing they got that information from somewhere.....?

Midnightrider

Trump relayed the information he received. All the news media - even the Trump hating ones - were reporting no serious injuries. I'm guessing they got that information from somewhere.....?
the media was reporting no serious injuries because that is what the trump admin told them. Trump himself said
the orange man said:
...the American people should be extremely grateful and happy no Americans were harmed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/08/794404894/president-trump-to-deliver-statement-on-iran

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I'm not sure the context is as clear as the VFW would have it. Could be, but don't think it's a slam dunk.

When I first read Trump's statement and then the VFW's it seemed like quite the disconnect. TBI is a term (like Autism) that covers a spectrum of injuries, but it is immediately seized upon by many to specifically connote a more serious injury. In other words, there's how the public sees TBI (definitely, really bad) and how the medical community uses it (could be bad, but often isn't).

Following this line of thought, I have had numerous service-related incidents of fun and frolic that qualify under the TBI rubric, but none that come close to meeting the type of injury the public thinks of when it thinks of TBI.

So maybe Trump was a bit insensitive, but I think people saw what they wanted to see because it fits their #TDS needs. As far as the VFW (and other veteran orgs) the dude HAD to come out and slam it because he always has to pounce on anything that could impact veterans benefits. I appreciate that, but as far as the actual comments go I thought nothing of it

Other than the political buzz for the anti-Trumpers and the political lobbying for the VFE (et al), for me a #Nothingburger.

--- End of line (MCP)

GregV814

Civilization Expects Apology From TranStupidus.

SoMD online, MD
Normal persons from life expect apology for extreme stupidity from deeply disturbed poster Transtupidus, along with buttkiss awschiff
Hey you did the Gretamoniker!!