Vick: Going back to his old game?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I don't see anything wrong - having a drink/cocktail - at the bar, while waitng for your flight to depart. :buddies:

Tony Dungy might be overreacting a bit.

LordStanley

I know nothing
I don't see anything wrong - having a drink/cocktail - at the bar, while waitng for your flight to depart. :buddies:

Tony Dungy might be overreacting a bit.

Tony Dungy did more damage going public with his reaction, rather than keeping his comment between Vick and Himself

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tony Dungy did more damage going public with his reaction, rather than keeping his comment between Vick and Himself

In what universe does Tony Dungy scolding Mike Vick do ANY damage?

To paraphrase R. Lee Ermey; Vick best be ####ting Tiffany cuffs links. Every day.

LordStanley

I know nothing
In what universe does Tony Dungy scolding Mike Vick do ANY damage?

To paraphrase R. Lee Ermey; Vick best be ####ting Tiffany cuffs links. Every day.

Well in the Milky Way, a mentor (Tony Dungy) should have a better PR strategy for handlining damage control, when concerning his pupil (Mike Vick).

Im just sayin...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well in the Milky Way, a mentor (Tony Dungy) should have a better PR strategy for handlining damage control, when concerning his pupil (Mike Vick).

Im just sayin...

OK, but this isn't you or me. This is MIKE VICK. Every step he makes is public property at least for the coming season. Dungy, not least of all, as well as Goodall, Reid, the Eagles as a whole, etc, have all put themselves on the line. They have expectations of him and they have the right to demand of him.

This is NOT just about football or he'd have never gone to jail in the first place. He HAS TO be perfect for at least the near term or expect people to start doubting giving him another chance.

Animal

I eat red meat
The linked article states this,
In a letter to Vick upon his conditional reinstatement on July 27, commissioner Roger Goodell told the quarterback that "prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use" were included in as conditions.
So wouldn't it be appropriate for a coach trying to get the player back on the field to be concerned with any possible infractions of his conditional reinstatement?

LordStanley

I know nothing
OK, but this isn't you or me. This is MIKE VICK. Every step he makes is public property at least for the coming season. Dungy, not least of all, as well as Goodall, Reid, the Eagles as a whole, etc, have all put themselves on the line. They have expectations of him and they have the right to demand of him.

This is NOT just about football or he'd have never gone to jail in the first place. He HAS TO be perfect for at least the near term or expect people to start doubting giving him another chance.

Considering he didnt Violate the terms of his probation, I dont see the problem with him having a cocktail. In public or private.

LordStanley

I know nothing
The linked article states this, So wouldn't it be appropriate for a coach trying to get the player back on the field to be concerned with any possible infractions of his conditional reinstatement?

did you miss these???

Eagles spokesman Derek Boyko told the Philadelphia Inquirer that drinking alcohol is "not in conflict with terms of (Vick's) probation or reinstatement with the NFL."

Aiello reiterated those sentiments to USA TODAY by e-mail on Monday. "I have received no indication from anyone that Michael Vick has violated the terms of his reinstatement," he said.

Animal

I eat red meat
did you miss these???
Nope, didn't miss them nor have I read the actual reinstatement contract. But Goodell should know what is in the agreement and if alcohol use is a conditional violation or not. Tony Dungy probably also knows what is in it and wants to protect Vick to the best of his ability. Why else would he tell Vick that he can't be doing that?

LordStanley

I know nothing
Nope, didn't miss them nor have I read the actual reinstatement contract. But Goodell should know what is in the agreement and if alcohol use is a conditional violation or not. Tony Dungy probably also knows what is in it and wants to protect Vick to the best of his ability. Why else would he tell Vick that he can't be doing that?

like Penn said, "he overreacted"

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Pardon, I went out to do some chores for a bit, and I missed a few things.

One of them was a point Animal made, and I'll repost what he was refering to:

"In a letter to Vick upon his conditional reinstatement on July 27, commissioner Roger Goodell told the quarterback(Vick) that "prohibitions regarding drug and alcohol use" were included in as conditions."

Does that mean Vick was in violation of one of the "conditions" that Goodell set for him as part of the reinstatement clause? Uh - oh! :popcorn:

I still don't see it as that much of a big deal, But as Larry Gude said it, the guy is being considered public property at least for the season, ie., being watched by everyone in the business.

Maybe Vick should kinda lie low for at least 4 or 5 months, and not cause hassles for himself and the team he just joined up with?