VIDEO: Solomons Rescue Squad Ambulance Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident on Thomas Johnson Bridge

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A video making its way around Facebook shows a Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad Fire Department Ambulance crossing the center line and hitting a utility truck on the base of the Thomas Johnson Bridge in St. Mary’s County.

The video timestamp is Monday, August 26, 2019, at approximately 3:00 p.m., date and time, however,it is unknown if it is the correct time and date.

Calvert County was dispatched to assist St. Mary’s County at approximately 2:52 p.m., and 2:53 p.m., for medical calls in the Great Mills and California areas.

:yikes:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
From what they video shows, the work truck would've had to run into the Jersey wall to get over any farther. I don't know if the truck is driven by the owner or not, but if it was a company truck, it would be hard to explain the damage to the boss.

glhs837

Power with Control
Because people are in a hurry and cant be bothered to get out of the way.

He did the best he could. If you notice, right when the emergency gets to him, he's hemmed in on the right by an intruding guardrail. Literally had no space to get over more. I'm no fan of folks who dont get over, but the EV operator has the responsibility to avoid crashing into other drivers.

ReadingTheNews

That bridge is waaay too narrow to do what that ambulance driver did, and I sincerely hope he/she did get a reprimand - for whatever that's worth.
I was under the impression that when the Emergency Vehicles were crossing the Thomas Johnson Bridge, they had to stay in the travel lane and move with traffic until they completed the crossing, then they could 'hurry on', utilizing shoulders, etc., to whatever emergency they were responding to - is this not the case? (If it's not, IMO it should be)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
UPDATE 8/27/2019 @ 10:45 a.m.: Jonathan Leonard Dalrymplehe, the Chief of the Solomons Volunteer Rescue and Fire Department, sent SMNEWSNET.COM the following statement about the incident.

On August 26 at approximate 4 PM one of our ambulances was involved in a property damage accident at the base of the Thomas Johnson bridge on St. Mary side. St Mary’s police department was Called and handle the accident. No one was injured in the accident. The driver of the ambulance has been Reprimanded and pulled from driving

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I wonder if this was the same ambulance I saw yesterday afternoon about 345/4ish. It came south on Rte 5 from Leonardtown, went past the light at St. Andrews and then hung an immediate U-turn across the NB lanes to come back to it. Assuming this was due to the cars in the turn lane. Either way, I thought it was reckless at the time.

Tech

That bridge is waaay too narrow to do what that ambulance driver did, and I sincerely hope he/she did get a reprimand - for whatever that's worth.
I was under the impression that when the Emergency Vehicles were crossing the Thomas Johnson Bridge, they had to stay in the travel lane and move with traffic until they completed the crossing, then they could 'hurry on', utilizing shoulders, etc., to whatever emergency they were responding to - is this not the case? (If it's not, IMO it should be)
Some organizations have protocols to turn off warning devices while on the bridge.

nutz

He did the best he could. If you notice, right when the emergency gets to him, he's hemmed in on the right by an intruding guardrail. Literally had no space to get over more. I'm no fan of folks who dont get over, but the EV operator has the responsibility to avoid crashing into other drivers.
My comment was for both drivers. However, the driver of the utility truck never came to a stop until after impact.

Hank

my war
Damn, way to almost cause an accident responding to one.

I was about 6 cars behind the person filming. As soon as all this happened, his emergency lights were turned off. I don't think he was even on a call, unless the call just happened to be cancelled after this incident...

calvcopf

I was about 6 cars behind the person filming. As soon as all this happened, his emergency lights were turned off. I don't think he was even on a call, unless the call just happened to be cancelled after this incident...

Turned off the lights going over the bridge maybe?

glhs837

Power with Control
Turned off the lights going over the bridge maybe?

Since this incident happened on the St Mary side, and was filmed by folks heading towards Calvert, he had his lights an sirens coming over the bridge, and then turned them off after the impact.