views on collegiate saddles?

IntegritysDream

Ok so whats everyones views on collegiate saddles? thinking about getting one, but im not sure if its a good saddle or a "ehh" saddle. Dont have lots of $$ to get something over 1000, and i need a inner changeable gullet but i want something that is nice.

Also, i dont think they have changeable gullets, but Whats veiws on a HDR saddle? :whistle:

fredsaid2

A friend has an HDR, the pro jump, I think. She likes it more than her expensive saddles. Bought it used, ridden in it a lot and it's still her favorite. You could probably find a used one at a very good price. Look at the Dover Circuit line too. Another good, less expensive line that's well regarded.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
A friend has an HDR, the pro jump, I think. She likes it more than her expensive saddles. Bought it used, ridden in it a lot and it's still her favorite. You could probably find a used one at a very good price. Look at the Dover Circuit line too. Another good, less expensive line that's well regarded.

Have BZ help you buy a Bates on e-Bay she finds all the great deals. :lmao: The Collegiate is fine. I would definitely do interchangeable gullets with your pony's wasteline.:lmao:

G8TnGal

Ok so whats everyones views on collegiate saddles? thinking about getting one, but im not sure if its a good saddle or a "ehh" saddle. Dont have lots of $$ to get something over 1000, and i need a inner changeable gullet but i want something that is nice.

Also, i dont think they have changeable gullets, but Whats veiws on a HDR saddle? :whistle:

Hi, I ride in a Collegiate Mentor Dressage saddle. I use it on my Paso and TWH's and it is so very comfy!! LOVE IT! I also have the Wintec 500 dressage saddle with the interchangeable gullet system, and it is nice to! I relize you may not be looking for dressage, but it is a Collegiate and Comfy is Comfy!!:howdy:

W

WhoCares

I had a HDR Show Jumping saddle. It is a great saddle, and very comfortable. It isn't for everyone, so just do research on what your horse needs.

Robin

The collegiate saddles are a good mid range saddle along with HDR and Courbette. There are a few other ones out there as well. The best advice is take this slow. Sit and try as many saddles as you can. Everytime you visit a tack store try some out. as Sadie noted, This is probably not going to be your only horse so changeable gullets would probably work well for you. I have sold quite a few of the saddles mentioned over the years, the hot ones are the changeable gullets, 20-40 for a different gullet and they are pretty easy to change. Most that purchase them love them.

Loper

Animal Poor!

What size are you looking for?

fredsaid2

Get someone to help you make sure of your correct size. It isn't the size of your bum but the length in leg from hip to knee. A 16 sounds small for you. Like Robin said, try out as many as you can. If someone will lend you theirs, take a lesson on your horse in it. Getting to actually ride in one is the best way to decide. Good luck!

W

WhoCares

i have a 16.5 inch but i have too much room i think, but its differnet for each saddle too, im tall but very thin for my age.

It is to do with your leg length nothing to do with your bum size. All the little butted teenagers at my barn have lots of room in their saddle but they need a 17" because of the long legs.

ponyhunter02

my personal preference is a decrepit 30 year old saddle that cleaned up well pulled out of a tack trunk, that has fit every thing i put it on, and is a great eq saddle

good luck on that one.

ebay = amazing

ponyhunter02

It is to do with your leg length nothing to do with your bum size. All the little butted teenagers at my barn have lots of room in their saddle but they need a 17" because of the long legs.

^ that was my problem

but...ive found the solution
NO KNEE ROLLS!

fredsaid2

Like I said....
Since you take lessons at a lesson barn, try their saddles, try Sadie's saddle, anyone who will let you. If you end up going new Dover has a trial saddle for most offerings. You can girth it and ride in leathers, I think it's a three day period.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
The seat IS important. You can definitely have a seat that is too big for you. It will sit you in the wrong spot. The MOST important thing is to fit the saddle to the horse. It is true you can ride with a bigger saddle seat than you need, but then you really have to focus on where your proper center placement should be. They have long flaps and forward flaps now a days to accommodate long legged riders. Your stirrups are not too short, you have just been riding with them too long before I came. The stirrup should hit you right below the anklebone to be correct for flatwork and raised a hole or two for over fences so you can easily stay off of your horses back. Your little tiny bootie would probably require a 16in. at the most a 16 1/2 Your seat fits properly if you are sitting centered and can put a sideways hand behind your butt. I will show you today.Your mommy is tiny too, so I don't foresee you getting much bigger.:buddies: