Virginia Dems draft proposal to downgrade assault on police to misdemeanor

DaSDGuy

The police need to quit providing protect details to those elected officials. That would remove everyone from danger, right?

DaSDGuy

Assault charges should be the same for adults from the President down to the janitor whatever it be.
OMG!! You want equality or something? Next thing you will say is All Lives Matter.
:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hijinx

There is a method to their madness.
It's tough getting good people to join the Police Force now.
When there are no protection, and Police are targeted only a damned fool would join.
This will allow them to fill the ranks with idiots who are merely in it for the pay.
What little will be left when they finish cutting the budgets.

DaSDGuy

There is a method to their madness.
It's tough getting good people to join the Police Force now.
When there are no protection, and Police are targeted only a damned fool would join.
This will allow them to fill the ranks with idiots who are merely in it for the pay.
What little will be left when they finish cutting the budgets.
Can't wait to see the property insurance rates with no police.

Rommey

Virginia state Sen. Scott Surovell told Fox News in a phone interview that assault on an officer has only been a felony since 1997, and that was done as part of a compromise related to harsher treatment of hate crimes. He said that as a result of this, any kind of unwanted contact with an officer including "minor bumps" could be charged as a felony, and that such cases have been prosecuted accordingly.

Surovell, who is also a criminal defense attorney, said that police often tack on felony charges for minor incidents. As a result of the felony charge, defendants face additional pressure to plead guilty, he said.
OK, I can see where this makes a little sense as it takes away the incentive to pile on charges, but if you change it from a felony to a misdemeanor, then how much past a "minor bump" is too much for an assault on an officer to become a felony? This is swinging the pendulum from one extreme to the other. If they want to take away the piling on of charges, they need to find a happy medium to still deter people from attacking the police.

In any event, if an assault on John Q. Public is considered a felony, then it should also be considered a felony if it is a cop. I think there's something in the Constitution about "equal protection under the law"...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think if you assault a police officer it should be an immediate death penalty.

The problem is that these Democrat states will become so unlivable that the dipshit residents who voted for this garbage will leave and go screw up some other state. I'd pass a law saying you can't move from a Blue state to a Red state for any reason. You have to stay and sit in the mess you made.

WingsOfGold

I think if you assault a police officer it should be an immediate death penalty.

The problem is that these Democrat states will become so unlivable that the dipshit residents who voted for this garbage will leave and go screw up some other state. I'd pass a law saying you can't move from a Blue state to a Red state for any reason. You have to stay and sit in the mess you made.
That's the way it usually works, look at Florida and Texas. :mad: NYers to Fl and Ca to Tx.

UglyBear

You know that a bill like that would trap us all in MD? :(

Louise

I like your concept, but it will never happen. Dems will not suddenly become Repubs. They are just fleeing the crap they caused as in voting in the first place. They have now found out that they don’t like what they voted for, and are running to mommy. Do WE really think that will change because of moving? A big NO.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

I object!

I bear no responsibility for the Leftist Shithole Maryland has become.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

How about assault on a politician? Felony, misdemeanor or participation trophy?