Virtual events

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does anyone watch these things? I love going to festivals and fairs and community concerts and such, but I'd never watch one online. And yet local orgs/etc keep doing them. I just saw a notice that FB had a live stream of the Oyster Festival shucking contest - there were precisely 7 people watching.

The idea of these things is to congregate with your friends and neighbors, hanging out and having a good time, not watching it on your computer. I admire the desire to keep on truckin', but at what point should you stop wasting effort and just go, "See ya next year"?

Or am I just being a grinch?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It seems almost like a taunt - "See this fun thing that you can't do because the whole country is rona crazy?"

TPD

the poor dad
Twice a year True Value does a national hardware show where 5-10,000 store owners and employees descend upon a convention center somewhere in the US to mingle with the vendors and touch, feel, and buy all the new products, but most importantly to talk with other store owners to learn new tricks of the trade. Last week this show was held virtually. I refused to participate - I was gonna get nothing out of it. My daughter attempted to set up virtual meetings with some vendors - it was a disaster! I don't do virtual other than a FaceTime call with my friend in Finland about once a month. We just need to get back to normal and live life the way it was meant!

mitzi

Does anyone watch these things? I love going to festivals and fairs and community concerts and such, but I'd never watch one online. And yet local orgs/etc keep doing them. I just saw a notice that FB had a live stream of the Oyster Festival shucking contest - there were precisely 7 people watching.

The idea of these things is to congregate with your friends and neighbors, hanging out and having a good time, not watching it on your computer. I admire the desire to keep on truckin', but at what point should you stop wasting effort and just go, "See ya next year"?

I agree with you. I saw the FB post about the Oyster Festival and wondered why anyone would bother to watch this online. The fun is being there. I feel like this about any virtual event like this.

PeoplesElbow

I think that's a little different. If I didn't live in this area anymore I may watch some of them.
I also like the virtual training at work. Some is useless but I have to take it. With it being virtual I can log into teams and do other work and get credit for it.

mitzi

I also like the virtual training at work. Some is useless but I have to take it. With it being virtual I can log into teams and do other work and get credit for it.

I would like that too if I was still working. I just have no interest in virtual fun events.

GregV814

a sign at Calvert Memorial is advertising a Virtual 5K.....

My doctor has been on my azz about being less mobile THIS YEAR!!!!...I think Ill virtually participate and get a virtual ribbon. Ill wear it to my next appointment.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

My doctor has been on my azz about being less mobile THIS YEAR!!!!...I think Ill virtually participate and get a virtual ribbon. Ill wear it to my next appointment.
I'll virtually cheer you on!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I don't attend anything virtual unless it's for work. I've done a couple of wine tasting"fundraisers" for a friend -but otherwise, if I can't go in person, I'm not going .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't attend anything virtual unless it's for work. I've done a couple of wine tasting"fundraisers" for a friend -but otherwise, if I can't go in person, I'm not going .

Wait....how do you do a virtual wine tasting?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

A friend sells wine through a company, you buy the wine you want to try. The party happens on a certain day - zoom meeting style - and everyone meets up tastes their wine, gives their reviews, and talk about the wines. :lol:

phreddyp

A friend sells wine through a company, you buy the wine you want to try. The party happens on a certain day - zoom meeting style - and everyone meets up tastes their wine, gives their reviews, and talk about the wines. :lol:
Too many winers for me !

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Happy this year for my virtual prostate exam.:jet: Questions only this time.

I married into such a large family Thanksgiving is the biggest family gathering of the year with over 100 of us spending the day together in fellowship of laughter, love, games, and food. We all ordered the attached, food, beverage and dessert packages so we can ZOOM and still enjoy the holiday meal together. 👪 🦃 🥧

Attachments

• 636463804351576645--F1A2140-2.jpg
    636463804351576645--F1A2140-2.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 83
  • TG SODA.jpg
    TG SODA.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 88
  • TG DESSERT.jpg
    TG DESSERT.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 93

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The LW did one of these this summer, she ended up with a couple of Pinot Grigios that she really liked.