Volunteer Fire and EMS fundraising

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Why do they still come door to door? We've had so many questionable characters come to our door recently trying to sell raffle tickets, etc, etc.

Just do a mailing, regular fundraisers or something. I just don't open my door to most people if I don't know you.

And I think maybe they could SAVE some money if they quit driving the vehicles all over the county doing personal business, eating out, pulling up to my neighbors house to visit their baby mama....:whistle:

Homeland

Why do they still come door to door? We've had so many questionable characters come to our door recently trying to sell raffle tickets, etc, etc.

Just do a mailing, regular fundraisers or something. I just don't open my door to most people if I don't know you.

And I think maybe they could SAVE some money if they quit driving the vehicles all over the county doing personal business, eating out, pulling up to my neighbors house to visit their baby mama....:whistle:

Yea, and it's not like they have a great vetting process either....

Leonardtown rescue squad president charged with prostitution offense -- SoMdNews.com

Ten-year sentence suspended in St. Mary’s man’s guilty plea to sex abuse -- SoMdNews.com

Tech

Was a volunteer back in my hometown and we recieved some tax monies to cover some of the expenses of operations similiar to the locals today. To get someone to do something for nothing you have to supply things that the tax money can't provide. Ours gave a free dance around Christmas each year and charter a bus to go to a MLB game, we still had to buy our own ticket. We department had to provide things like TVs, phones and some recreational equipment like a softball team and tax money could not be used for these.

As far as background checks, they only detect the ones that have done something not the ones who will do something. (Snowden, Manning, Walker, Hanssen) We had one where the perv was a local cop who would be in charge of running the background checks.

At least that one contracted out instead of harrassing its younger members.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Which Fire Department are you talking about?

Mechanicsville going door to door

Bay District seems to have units all over Mechanicsville. Just sayin'...

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate volunteers and all they do, just think there are better ways to raise funds.

Tech

Bay District seems to have units all over Mechanicsville. Just sayin'...

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate volunteers and all they do, just think there are better ways to raise funds.

Could be that the mechanic/repair/inspection place for Bay District is in the southern end of Mechanicsville.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly

Really? You'd think they'd hit my neighborhood, but I've never had anyone come by in years. I do receive in the mail the "no bake bake sale" letter from the women's auxiliary and I used to get the family photo flyers from the rescue squad. Haven't had someone come by in person for at least 10 years.

IMNEMT-B

I find that very odd! I am a former member of Mechanicsville Rescue Squad and I never heard nor did door to door. We did a yearly mail out for donations. Just curious.... are you sure they were real members??

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
As a VFD member in Virginia and now in Maryland, never once was I required to go door to door or witness such actions to raise money. Mass mailings for donations within a companies 1st due area is the most common form of fund raising. Others are Boot Drives were members stand at intersections with a Fire Boot, Carnivals, Concerts, Bingo, and Summer Theme parties are typical in SM. My advise, If someone comes to your door representing a FD and is asking for donations, refuse and immediatly contact the President of your local VFD to confirm indeed they are doing Door to Door fund raising. If the answer is no then contacting the local authorities is the next step.

Last edited:

tomtom

I agree that a fire dept or rescue squad vehicle shouldn't be going wherever they please, however, you very well may see an ambulance/fire truck/command truck/utility/whatever, going out to eat, running to the bank, whatever, as long as they are in their first due area, what is the problem?? We are ready to respond to whatever your emergency is as quick as possible, but we're just people to, we have to eat the same as anyone else, we have business that needs doing sometimes, but, if we are in one of these vehicles, it means we are ready to respond. If we're not in one of these vehicles, and you call for help, then we have to drive with normal traffic, because we are a part of that, and try to get to the station, then get a unit, and go out. Taking the unit cuts down on having to return to the station, which may take several minutes, thereby increasing the time it will take to get to you. Am I saying that, just as an example, Mechanicsville should be going to California, or vice versa? No. But if it is Mechanicsville unit in Mechanicsville, a Leonardtown unit in Leonardtown, whatever, how does that hurt anything?:confused:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
I agree that a fire dept or rescue squad vehicle shouldn't be going wherever they please, however, you very well may see an ambulance/fire truck/command truck/utility/whatever, going out to eat, running to the bank, whatever, as long as they are in their first due area, what is the problem?? We are ready to respond to whatever your emergency is as quick as possible, but we're just people to, we have to eat the same as anyone else, we have business that needs doing sometimes, but, if we are in one of these vehicles, it means we are ready to respond. If we're not in one of these vehicles, and you call for help, then we have to drive with normal traffic, because we are a part of that, and try to get to the station, then get a unit, and go out. Taking the unit cuts down on having to return to the station, which may take several minutes, thereby increasing the time it will take to get to you. Am I saying that, just as an example, Mechanicsville should be going to California, or vice versa? No. But if it is Mechanicsville unit in Mechanicsville, a Leonardtown unit in Leonardtown, whatever, how does that hurt anything?:confused:

Nope, no problem with that, but pretty sure Bay District isn't in Mechanicsville.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Door to door is a lot cheaper than:

Direct mailings = postage money
Carnivals = Insurance
Raffles = Prize costs

A lot of times the administrative/logistics costs of fund raisers really lessen the profit margin. That being said, BDVFD should not be canvassing M'ville for funds and vice versa, and the whole "are these REAL volunteers?" question is a valid one.

nobody really

I need a nap
Door to door is a lot cheaper than:

Direct mailings = postage money
Carnivals = Insurance
Raffles = Prize costs

A lot of times the administrative/logistics costs of fund raisers really lessen the profit margin. That being said, BDVFD should not be canvassing M'ville for funds and vice versa, and the whole "are these REAL volunteers?" question is a valid one.

got that right

ranger73

MFRI's Southern Maryland Training Center is in La Plata. Could be why you see more of the southern companies passing through Mechanisville.

nutz

you very well may see an ambulance/fire truck/command truck/utility/whatever, going out to eat, running to the bank, whatever, as long as they are in their first due area, what is the problem?? We are ready to respond to whatever your emergency is as quick as possible, but we're just people to, we have to eat the same as anyone else, we have business that needs doing sometimes, but, if we are in one of these vehicles, it means we are ready to respond.

:yay: If you're not willing to participate, don't criticize. There's enough drama inside the volunteer system without added drivel.

nutz

Thanks for that insightful insight.

Now let the adults talk.

Ah, if only that were the case. The "adults" here can't comprehend that the fire dept. is not going door to door. It was someone else selling something. AND, if you really want to know what they are doing, get off your ass and go volunteer some of your time to help. :popcorn:

Sparx

The only complaint I have and have heard from others in Dunkirk is the volunteers using the damn compression (Jake) brake in residential areas. For the small amount of miles those trucks get driven in the normal course of a day, it's not like they are saving the brakes especially on level ground. Those things are so loud I have seen signs entering some towns that restrict their use. It's loud and it's fun for those on the truck but please think about shift workers who may be sleeping and the peace and quiet of our neighborhoods!

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Stopped giving to my local VFD in Charles County the day I was at a large saltwater aquarium store in GLEN BURNIE and saw a guy pull up in the Chief SUV, go into the store to buy fish for his aquarium, and head home. I took picture, attached it to an email and never got a response....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Ah, if only that were the case. The "adults" here can't comprehend that the fire dept. is not going door to door. It was someone else selling something. AND, if you really want to know what they are doing, get off your ass and go volunteer some of your time to help. :popcorn:

I volunteer at the veterans home, volunteer as a Scout leader and I served 24 years in the military.

Nothing a bunch of want to play fireman SMIBs can show me about volunteering and giving to the community.

Most VFDs are nothing more than a drinking club with a small penis so we play with big trucks issues.

I just pray my house never catches on fire so I have to rely on these dumbasses to put it out. They'd probably be at Ritas or Dunkin "being on call"