Volunteer Fire and EMS fundraising

OldHillcrestGuy

Most VFDs are nothing more than a drinking club with a small penis so we play with big trucks issues.

I just pray my house never catches on fire so I have to rely on these dumbasses to put it out. They'd probably be at Ritas or Dunkin "being on call"

Dont get your panties caught up in a bunch. Why so offensive toward the volunteer fire depts. You appear to have no idea about what the depts do for the community. About 99.9% of what they do is honest hard work and many hours of training so they can be there to save your damn house should it catch fire and to treat and save your life (wanted to use a different word but I was nice) should you have a medical emergency.
Maybe you have seen a firetruck at Rita's a time or two. Many nights a year they do fundrasiers for varoius depts in the area. Arent they entilitled to stop and get food for themselves when you see them out and about, maybe they are out returning from a call. Hope you didnt see me twice today at the WaWa in Charlotte Hall, stopped once on way back from a call and another time to get fuel.
Don't go by Tequlla Grill in a couple of weeks, they are having a Fire and Ems night, there will be several pieces of appartus there. A certain percentage of proceeds that night will be going to the fire departments.

I invite everyone to come out that night and support your local volunteer fire depts and enjoy some good food. Cheezegrits I even invite you to come.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Dont get your panties caught up in a bunch. Why so offensive toward the volunteer fire depts. You appear to have no idea about what the depts do for the community. About 99.9% of what they do is honest hard work and many hours of training so they can be there to save your damn house should it catch fire and to treat and save your life (wanted to use a different word but I was nice) should you have a medical emergency.
Maybe you have seen a firetruck at Rita's a time or two. Many nights a year they do fundrasiers for varoius depts in the area. Arent they entilitled to stop and get food for themselves when you see them out and about, maybe they are out returning from a call. Hope you didnt see me twice today at the WaWa in Charlotte Hall, stopped once on way back from a call and another time to get fuel.
Don't go by Tequlla Grill in a couple of weeks, they are having a Fire and Ems night, there will be several pieces of appartus there. A certain percentage of proceeds that night will be going to the fire departments.

I invite everyone to come out that night and support your local volunteer fire depts and enjoy some good food. Cheezegrits I even invite you to come.

Listen, go back and read the entire thread. I support all first responders, I go to fundraisers and have responded to boot drives, etc. I don't care where your equipment is, I understand stops for fuel, go get something to eat while on duty, etc.

I asked why it's ok for a department that is not in my area to have a truck visiting their girlfriend in my neighborhood.

I asked if it normal to go door to door, especially in this time when people are scared to answer their doors when people force their way in and rob or worse, kill.

You can't tell me part of the VFD/EMS is nothing more than socialization for some and it's important work to others. But like everyone else and every other group, a few bad examples spoil the reputation for all.

I suggest the Volunteer first responders take a harder look inside instead of blowing up their chest bragging to me about how they are there to save me.
I'm aware of what they do, and am appreciative.

nutz

Listen, go back and read the entire thread. I support all first responders, I go to fundraisers and have responded to boot drives, etc. I don't care where your equipment is, I understand stops for fuel, go get something to eat while on duty, etc.

I asked why it's ok for a department that is not in my area to have a truck visiting their girlfriend in my neighborhood.

I asked if it normal to go door to door, especially in this time when people are scared to answer their doors when people force their way in and rob or worse, kill.

You can't tell me part of the VFD/EMS is nothing more than socialization for some and it's important work to others. But like everyone else and every other group, a few bad examples spoil the reputation for all.

I suggest the Volunteer first responders take a harder look inside instead of blowing up their chest bragging to me about how they are there to save me.

Umm, NO you did not. No where in your first comment did you show support for the fire/ems volunteers. Going on later to call them dumbasses, doesn't help your case.
Any clue how much one ambulance costs to outfit and put on the street? A good clue what one engine costs? How about the heat and a/c bill for the building? The taxpayers only provide a portion of the funds required for this stuff. The rest comes from fundraising by the dept. and the generosity of it's supporters.
As for someone visiting the neighbor, did you happen to nicely inquire of the neighbor or the visitor the nature of the calls? We have a few residents that we routinely check on.
Why do they still come door to door? We've had so many questionable characters come to our door recently trying to sell raffle tickets, etc, etc.

Just do a mailing, regular fundraisers or something. I just don't open my door to most people if I don't know you.

And I think maybe they could SAVE some money if they quit driving the vehicles all over the county doing personal business, eating out, pulling up to my neighbors house to visit their baby mama....:whistle:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet

Actually, if anything, you've taken it personally that there was a firetruck in your neighborhood to 'visit their baby mama.' Call Bay District and ask, their Chief is a member here, perhaps he'll read the thread and let you know.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Actually, if anything, you've taken it personally that there was a firetruck in your neighborhood to 'visit their baby mama.' Call Bay District and ask, their Chief is a member here, perhaps he'll read the thread and let you know.

I certainly take it personally, the fact that my tax money goes to subsidize a personal vehicle service, then these departments have the nerve to come door to door asking me for more money.

You know what, come put my fire out, then send me a bill.

Sorry I posted in here asking a general question, then got a bunch of assumptions about who I have called, haven't called, how much I support firefighters, etc, etc.

SMIBs, return to your 10oz Bud Lights and Honey Boo Boo worship

CobbWeb

Answer

Why do they still come door to door? We've had so many questionable characters come to our door recently trying to sell raffle tickets, etc, etc.

Just do a mailing, regular fundraisers or something. I just don't open my door to most people if I don't know you.

And I think maybe they could SAVE some money if they quit driving the vehicles all over the county doing personal business, eating out, pulling up to my neighbors house to visit their baby mama....:whistle:

To my knowledge no companies in St. Mary's go door to door. If they are questionable characters, I definitely would not give them anything. Please report it to the Police and have them checked out and/or contact the department and ask if they are doing a door to door campaign. I've been a volunteer 25+ years and belonged to several departments and none have ever gone door to door.

As far as vehicle use, I have no problem with members on duty using the vehicle to run errands either of a personal nature or department related as long as they are going to respond when a call goes out. I would much rather have a crew or individual on an emergency vehicle capable of responding when an emergency comes out rather than them have to drive their POV to the station then get the emergency vehicle and then respond, obviously the response time will be greater if the later has to happen. The amount of fuel used for such "running around" is a small price to pay to ensure that a rapid response to an emergency occurs, especially if a life is saved!!

officeguy

The amount of fuel used for such "running around" is a small price to pay to ensure that a rapid response to an emergency occurs, especially if a life is saved!!

The biggest cost in emergency services is personnel, the fuel bill is a rather minor part. Also, most VFD owned vehicles 'age out' rather than being retired for high mileage.
They put in their time to provide a service to the community, I can't get too bent out of shape if they drive an extra mile or ten on personal business.

dawn

I certainly take it personally, the fact that my tax money goes to subsidize a personal vehicle service, then these departments have the nerve to come door to door asking me for more money.

Sorry I posted in here asking a general question, then got a bunch of assumptions about who I have called, haven't called, how much I support firefighters, etc, etc.

Hughesville comes by every year door to door and it has been the same guy almost every year. He isnt in a "marked" car, so I guess he is in his personal car. I donate everytime. Maybe people are more opt to give money if they are actually standing there, versus waiting for the checks to roll in, people get busy and have the intention of mailing, but some probably never actually get it done! I dont have a problem if they drive around in company cars, just like police, they put their lives on the line day in and day out, and probably dont get paid much, if at all since most are volunteers, so they get a perk, so what!

I am not afraid to open my door, if someone knocks, however, if they are coming to your house and are in marked cars, I dont understand why you would fear opening the door.

OldHillcrestGuy

Hughesville comes by every year door to door and it has been the same guy almost every year. He isnt in a "marked" car, so I guess he is in his personal car. I donate everytime. Maybe people are more opt to give money if they are actually standing there, versus waiting for the checks to roll in, people get busy and have the intention of mailing, but some probably never actually get it done! I dont have a problem if they drive around in company cars, just like police, they put their lives on the line day in and day out, and probably dont get paid much, if at all since most are volunteers, so they get a perk, so what!

I am not afraid to open my door, if someone knocks, however, if they are coming to your house and are in marked cars, I dont understand why you would fear opening the door.

Hughesville does not come around door to door for donations. There are people from a picture company that comes around door to door asking if they would like to have pictures taken. This is a fund drive of the Ladies Auxiilary, they do drive there own cars, they take orders for having pictures taken at a latter date. A description of the car and tag number they drive is posted at every phone in the firehouse in the event if someone calls and is suspicous of the person.
I dont believe these people are to take any money just orders. If the person who comes by your home every year isnt asking about pictures, he is a fraud and should be reported to the police and the fire department.
A few years back there was a problem in the Hughesville area of someone saying they were from the fire department and it was reported to the sheriffs dept., no one was ever caught.
Our donation drive is done by mail every year.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet

Well, you took it personal when you said "I hope I never have to rely on these dumbasses to put my fire out." Why? Because they went around door to door asking for donations? Because there was a truck next door that wasn't supposed to be there? I'm not quite sure how either of those instances constitutes being a dumbass, but it's your story, tell it how you want.
I don't think anyone questioned how much you support fire departments, just questioned your assertions and assumptions about them. From the outside looking in, it sort of looked like a vendetta against Mechanicsville and Bay District (only because you mentioned them, you might not like all volunteer fire departments in this area.)

:rolleyes:

Hoover

I am taking this personal. My son is a VOLUNEER at Hughesville VFD and so is my husband. My son risks his LIFE everyday for you idiots. He stays at the fire department 24/7 from the last day of school until the first day of school every summer and every weekend, and holiday so he can follow his dream of becoming a PAID fire man. From 16 years old - he has been there everyday of his life - not at the mall - not hanging on the streets - not dealing drugs - BUT picking up the pieces from other people lives who are too damn stupid to get theirs together. He is an EAGLE SCOUT and HONOR STUDENT and graduated from MIFRI. So he can achieve his dream of being a PAID fireman. I am proud of him and what he and all of his friends do on a daily basis. They sit in that firehouse waiting on the calls, cleaning their trucks, getting hands on training, and trying to raise funds to keep "THEIR VOLUNTEER" fire department running.

SoMDGirl42

I am taking this personal. My son is a VOLUNEER at Hughesville VFD and so is my husband. My son risks his LIFE everyday for you idiots. He stays at the fire department 24/7 from the last day of school until the first day of school every summer and every weekend, and holiday so he can follow his dream of becoming a PAID fire man. From 16 years old - he has been there everyday of his life - not at the mall - not hanging on the streets - not dealing drugs - BUT picking up the pieces from other people lives who are too damn stupid to get theirs together. He is an EAGLE SCOUT and HONOR STUDENT and graduated from MIFRI. So he can achieve his dream of being a PAID fireman. I am proud of him and what he and all of his friends do on a daily basis. They sit in that firehouse waiting on the calls, cleaning their trucks, getting hands on training, and trying to raise funds to keep "THEIR VOLUNTEER" fire department running.

Congrats to the Z man. Hope his dream comes true. Be proud!

nutz

WOW! You have to be a very proud mom. My son took the MFRI route through high school and is now enjoying a fire/ems career. Your son has already accomplished more and I'm sure will do very well. We can use a whole lot more just like that, but so few find it enjoyable or as a helping hand for their future. Hanging around the firehouse watching tv, doing chores, studying, etc...waiting for the bell to ring just isn't everyone's cup of tea.
These 16 and 17 year olds see too much of the nastiness around them though. They are out picking up the pieces from what the "adults" leave behind.

SoMDGirl42

These 16 and 17 year olds see too much of the nastiness around them though. They are out picking up the pieces from what the "adults" leave behind.

and hopefully giving a message to their 'indestructable" 16/17 year old friends that don't think that will ever happen to them. Positive peer pressure. :yay:

dawn

Hughesville does not come around door to door for donations. There are people from a picture company that comes around door to door asking if they would like to have pictures taken. This is a fund drive of the Ladies Auxiilary, they do drive there own cars, they take orders for having pictures taken at a latter date. A description of the car and tag number they drive is posted at every phone in the firehouse in the event if someone calls and is suspicous of the person.
I dont believe these people are to take any money just orders. If the person who comes by your home every year isnt asking about pictures, he is a fraud and should be reported to the police and the fire department.
A few years back there was a problem in the Hughesville area of someone saying they were from the fire department and it was reported to the sheriffs dept., no one was ever caught.
Our donation drive is done by mail every year.

Yep you are right, sorry....he does offer photos, I always thought it was for the the actual fire department, I always give every year and recognize him when he comes to the door. He does take the money and gives receipt each time. I haven't ever gotten anything in the mail from you guys ever soliciting for donations. Do I need to get on a list or does it go out by mass mailing? I would donate just for the simple fact, well among others, but my son gets so excited when santa comes by on the firetruck and I know its cold for Santa. We are so appreciative of the drive by! :)

dawn

There are many of us that do appreciate what they do! I am one of them!! A big thank you to clvalley (might have spelled it wrong), your son, oldhilcrestguy and gigi for looking out for others!

beautobliv

I'm a little late to respond to this, but I wanted to give you my perspective as a volunteer in another area. I've recently moved down here and haven't yet joined a department in this area, but I've been volunteering for a few years in Prince George's County.

Our department does go door to door for fundraising. We don't knock on doors, but personally deliver a donation request to each home in our first due. We do this around Christmas in departmental vehicles and with our tshirts that designate us as Fire/EMS. I'm not sure what's done around here, but even in Prince George's, with it's reputation for crime, our department continues to do this yearly. We take precautions by going in groups, keeping radios on everyone, and using our departmental vehicles to ensure that the community knows it really is us. We have heard of others going through the neighborhoods requesting money for the department, but the community is used to our yearly fund drive, so if this happens we will receive phone calls at the firehouse informing us of potential thieves attempting to raise money for themselves in our name. Each department does it differently. If you have a question as to someone's authenticity, I would encourage that you request their Fire Dept ID or call the station they are claiming to be from.

For those of you that have seen departmental vehicles out of their designated area, there are a number of reasons for this:

Chiefs are often given a vehicle that will allow them to respond to incidents from further away. These are often the SUVs you see, and they are lent to members for other reasons, as well. Chiefs are granted a vehicle is in case of an emergency within the department, departmental accident, serious injury etc. Our department owns these vehicles and the county does not contribute to their maintenance or fuel. I suspect that, given that St. Mary's is primarily volunteer, most stations own their chief's vehicles. Don't presume that everything from the department is paid for by the county; very often it's not.

Students in classes for the department may borrow the vehicles to attend class. While Southern Maryland MFRI is in La Plata, classes are held throughout the county and state at various locations, including locally at nearby departments. Companies may also hold joint training exercises, etc, that require them to be out of their normal first due (primary responding area).

If there is a major incident that requires resources for a prolonged period of time, the county may redistribute available resources throughout the county such that the entire county is sufficiently covered. So, for example, if there is a fire in one area that has an entire company (or two, or three, etc) occupied, other departments will be transferred to one of those stations so if there is an additional emergency (medical call, accident, etc), resources will be close at hand.

I think you're mostly referring to fire department vehicles, rather than EMS, but if you see an ambulance out of the area, they may be returning from a hospital. Different hospitals offer different services/specialties, depending on the type and severity of the call. There is a hospital that has a center dedicated to hand/finger surgery in Baltimore, as well as a burn unit. Our protocols dictate where we take people, and these calls are not the norm, but it is possible for a unit to be required to go what may be considered out of the area to provide the required care.

And finally, sometimes departments hold fundraisers, etc, out of their area. Again, I'm not sure how it's done around here, but my department would try to keep an additional crew at the station in order to respond to calls. If this wasn't possible, then the crews that are out of the area inform dispatch of their location, and calls are taken in that area. Regardless, if they are on the apparatus, then they are able to respond to emergencies.

I can't speak to people visiting girlfriends or the policies of the departments for going out of their first due, but if you are concerned about the resources not being in a place where they can appropriately respond, I would encourage you to call the department of the vehicle you've seen, ask for an officer and report it. Perhaps ask for follow up as well.

Either way, please keep from generalizing about Fire/EMS volunteers as a whole. Most of us do take our volunteer jobs seriously and strive to provide the best care and services that we can. Yes, as can be found anywhere, there are a few bad apples that act unprofessionally, but as a rule, most care a great deal for their communities and for their departments.

I would expect that service, in every form, is respected as an important contribution to the community. I find it immature that there have been comments challenging others to volunteer for a specific organization or cause, as if unless they do so they are not entitled to an opinion. Fire/EMS is a public service, and as such we are subject to the public eye. It is our responsibility to ensure that we are presenting ourselves as professionals, in every setting. Perception is reality, and if you're not considering how your actions will be perceived by the public, then you are not doing your job. Rather than be combative, do your part to challenge the stereotype of Fire/EMS around here by acting like a professional and representing yourself, your department and the county well.

Volunteers are only one part of the picture and support from the community is an important part as well. Without it, we couldn't purchase vehicles, take additional classes and purchase resources for training, etc, as well as some of the comforts that help encourage others to volunteer and volunteers to stay (internet, appliances, beds, etc).

Thanks for your service to the community throughout the years and for your continued support to the local volunteer Fire/EMS.

P.S. You don't graduate from MFRI (Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute). It's not an accredited program, but rather offers Fire/EMS courses in a standardized format so that volunteers throughout Maryland have received standardized training. You can earn college credit through the classes, but it's not a degree granting program from which you graduate.

sm8

Did not get a chance to read thru all of the posts but I really liked the bucket drive Mechanicsville did a few years ago.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Or they can just become paid departments and people will have to *PAY* for the services. No more door-to-door fundraising anymore.

sm8

Our ambulance rides have been few and far between but I think they do charge. I know for sure if hughesville comes to St. Mary's the county charges.