Volunteerism - CRE style

OmyGawd

Can someone explain to me why the BOD is always screaming for volunteers and yet when some do so they are turned away? Volunteering for this place is so damn hard because volunteers are supposed to follow the party line, no dissenting opinions are allowed.

Shame on you for talking on the forums. :cds: :deadhorse:bonk:

punchbuggy

That's why I gave up trying to volunteer. They can ask until they are blue in the face but most folks have written off wanting to help.

OmyGawd

You all voted 'em in....you all gotta live with it!

Don't like it? VOTE 'EM OUT!

I didn't vote for them. Just not enough people who care. But the whale and other things will cause more trouble for them. i just hope that they get it straight before it's too late.... oh wait they are already up the creek without the necessary equipment.

ladyhawk

I didn't vote for them. Just not enough people who care. But the whale and other things will cause more trouble for them. i just hope that they get it straight before it's too late.... oh wait they are already up the creek without the necessary equipment.

Oh wonderful... Encouraging words? Come on guys...
It sure would be nice to have a little support!

I was hoping to go to National Night Out but had a previous obligation..
So, this was the first year I've missed in a long long time...
My apologies to all.

Oh and isn't that suppose to be "up the creek without a paddle"?

June

Redmane

Did you see OMG's avatar? Not exactly the most encouraging Muppets character.....:whistle:

You might want to adjust your expectations but at least his language is good. :whistle:

glitch

Devil's Advocate
I was in CRE the other night looking at a dog someone was trying to get adopted. I gotta say, I love the little lake you guys got over there. Especially fond of the 6 inches of water they let you swim in on the edge there. Now I see why people are constantly bashing the place on the forums. :killingme

OmyGawd

I was hoping to go to National Night Out but had a previous obligation..
So, this was the first year I've missed in a long long time...
My apologies to all.

Oh and isn't that suppose to be "up the creek without a paddle"?

June

The necessary equipment, no paddle, no canoe, no toilet paper. I support to a point, when dumb things are done, when people are turned away when they volunteer, when people's jobs are changed at strange times and with weird excuses, it makes you wonder sometimes whether support is enough or it's time to try something new. Refusal to see other points of view, lack of respect to other people, just make you want to return lunch the hard way. I wish you guys luck, I suspect you is gonna need it

ladyhawk

The necessary equipment, no paddle, no canoe, no toilet paper. I support to a point, when dumb things are done, when people are turned away when they volunteer, when people's jobs are changed at strange times and with weird excuses, it makes you wonder sometimes whether support is enough or it's time to try something new. Refusal to see other points of view, lack of respect to other people, just make you want to return lunch the hard way. I wish you guys luck, I suspect you is gonna need it

I suspect that you are right.
I have already found this may be the case after the first board meeting... which I walked out of.
This will not happen again and I do apologize for having done so.

I will continue to do everything I legally can to represent the majority of the members at the board table. I know a lot of you read these posts, understand why you aren't able to make meetings, understand why you don't involve yourselves by actively posting but you can communiciate with me through email: jsmellinger@comcast.net, or PM me here just as I've offered to you in the past. I am also in the phone book!

And again, I can not do my job properly without your input! So, if you have an issue, heard something "through the grapevine" and have questions, just contact me! If you get the answering machine, as long as you leave a name and number, I will return your call and try to get an answer for you if I don't already have one!

Thanks
June

softtouch

I was in CRE the other night looking at a dog someone was trying to get adopted. I gotta say, I love the little lake you guys got over there.
It's the 2nd largest lake in Maryland after Deep Creek Lake. You can't see it all from the dam.
Especially fond of the 6 inches of water they let you swim in on the edge there.
That first rope is at about the 3ft depth level as a boundry for the little kids. You can swim out as far as you like and it is plenty deep.

msqtech

Citizen
Lakes in Maryland

It's the 2nd largest lake in Maryland after Deep Creek Lake. You can't see it all from the dam.

That first rope is at about the 3ft depth level as a boundry for the little kids. You can swim out as far as you like and it is plenty deep.

I think your facts are in error
http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/publications/download/FactSheet15.pdf

Savage River Dam should also be included and Rocky Gap in western maryland.
Our Lake is beautiful but doesn't match many others for size in Maryland.

slaphappynmd

They would also like you to volunteer your paycheck into their hands. Can you believe how much money they are spending fighting the Calvert Marine Museum? They admitted in the most recent Round Up Times that it has nothing to do with the whale. They just want to get permission to rip-rap the cliffs and are using the Calvert Marine Museum and thus the Calvert County Government as their way of doing this.

punchbuggy

Time for a change

So our little newsletter tells us that we have legal expertise for the past how many years? Have we had the same legal representation from the same firm or person all these years? I think a change is in order for the "legal" team. Someone who will play hardball with the court & museum and look out for the best interests of the membership. We're paying how much to a lawyer to get permission to put plastic wrap on the cliffs? Venting here but just do it. (and yes, I know it's not called plastic wrap but a little humor helps keep the blood pressure down) I don't recall anyone "getting permission" to dig the whale out of private property. It's private property we're wrapping so wrap it up and send the museum the bill. Getting permission at this point seems to be a moot point. HELLO! That's my "free" consultation to the community.

thatguy

So our little newsletter tells us that we have legal expertise for the past how many years? Have we had the same legal representation from the same firm or person all these years? I think a change is in order for the "legal" team. Someone who will play hardball with the court & museum and look out for the best interests of the membership. We're paying how much to a lawyer to get permission to put plastic wrap on the cliffs? Venting here but just do it. (and yes, I know it's not called plastic wrap but a little humor helps keep the blood pressure down) I don't recall anyone "getting permission" to dig the whale out of private property. It's private property we're wrapping so wrap it up and send the museum the bill. Getting permission at this point seems to be a moot point. HELLO! That's my "free" consultation to the community.

who is paying and why are we paying for it is the real question.

the cliffs have been erroding since the beginning of time. there is no reason a cash strapped organization like ours should be getting into such and expensive and futile endevor

ladyhawk

the cliffs have been erroding since the beginning of time. there is no reason a cash strapped organization like ours should be getting into such and expensive and futile endevor

I completely agree with you. I tend to believe that this is the result of trying to assist those that live along the cliffs. Sorry guys (those that live along the cliffs) but it seems to me that you purchased your home just as the rest of us purchased ours. When we have issues, we fix them ourselves.

In my case, we have been watching our front and back yard eroding since we moved here because of the stormwater issues from neighboring properties. It was estimated to cost about $10,000 for the retaining walls that are needed to control our problem. But because we bought our home, and it is our property then it is our problem, not yours or anyone elses....

And as far as those stormwater management grants, that is a joke. I have tried twice to contact the gentleman at the county, He is usually on vacation or out sick and if by chance he answers the phone, he will mail you the paperwork and visit the property to get some pictures. He was a no show and never received anything, not even a return call because he forgot..... \
I did hear that one person who lives in here was able to get his property done... But I've not heard of anyone else getting any assistance....

June

OmyGawd

Amen. The money being spent is a waste. If the cliffs go then that is nature at work. Even if you shore them up, there is still a possiblity that it won't work. Peeving off the county isn't going to help us get back funds that are being lost via the state budget cuts. Having the county as an enemy is not a good thing. The time to stop wasting money on the whale case and pay attention to the things in the community that really need attention.

hotcoffee

I completely agree with you. I tend to believe that this is the result of trying to assist those that live along the cliffs. Sorry guys (those that live along the cliffs) but it seems to me that you purchased your home just as the rest of us purchased ours. When we have issues, we fix them ourselves.

In my case, we have been watching our front and back yard eroding since we moved here because of the stormwater issues from neighboring properties. It was estimated to cost about $10,000 for the retaining walls that are needed to control our problem. But because we bought our home, and it is our property then it is our problem, not yours or anyone elses....

And as far as those stormwater management grants, that is a joke. I have tried twice to contact the gentleman at the county, He is usually on vacation or out sick and if by chance he answers the phone, he will mail you the paperwork and visit the property to get some pictures. He was a no show and never received anything, not even a return call because he forgot..... \
I did hear that one person who lives in here was able to get his property done... But I've not heard of anyone else getting any assistance....

June

Amen. The money being spent is a waste. If the cliffs go then that is nature at work. Even if you shore them up, there is still a possiblity that it won't work. Peeving off the county isn't going to help us get back funds that are being lost via the state budget cuts. Having the county as an enemy is not a good thing. The time to stop wasting money on the whale case and pay attention to the things in the community that really need attention.

Both of your comments are right on the money! :coffee:

RoadKill

CRE should hold the musuem responsible for the damage that they caused. The musuem was just stupid. I don't care if they are cash strapped. Those on the board who support the musuem have a conflict of interest and should step down. The CRE board is supposed to represent CRE residents and not favor the musuem. Any dime that CRE can get from the musuem is a dime more for CRE and CRE residents. To hell with the musuem. To hell with the musuem supporters on the board. To hell with the musuem supporters who are board member want-to-be's.