Volunteers

haltinkr

I work for an agency called Volunteer Southern Maryland. We recruit volunteers for over 65 agencies in Southern Maryland. I was wondering what people in this area feel are the best methods of getting the word out to potential volunteers. We put articles in the paper periodically and send letters to schools, organizations, etc. What would work for you? The website is www.volunteersolutions.org/vsm

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by haltinkr
I work for an agency called Volunteer Southern Maryland. We recruit volunteers for over 65 agencies in Southern Maryland. I was wondering what people in this area feel are the best methods of getting the word out to potential volunteers. We put articles in the paper periodically and send letters to schools, organizations, etc. What would work for you? The website is www.volunteersolutions.org/vsm

Well, you'd have to be more specific on what you want the help for. I volunteer when I can but there are somethings I know I couldn't help with so don't even bother.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Volunteers

Originally posted by tys_mommy
Well, you'd have to be more specific on what you want the help for. I volunteer when I can but there are somethings I know I couldn't help with so don't even bother.

If you go to the web site and click on the 'Opportunities' link under 'Local Statistics' you'll find about 100 things they're looking for.

Eddie

Contact the local Boy Scout Troops. They are always looking for community service hours.

Ponytail

Maybe board mommy could make a heading for that site and place the button next to "employment" at the top?

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by haltinkr
I was wondering what people in this area feel are the best methods of getting the word out to potential volunteers.
Place an ad--rather than an article--in the Post's Sunday Southern Maryland Extra and in the Independent.

And PT had a good idea--maybe Board Mommy will create a spot for your org in the SOMD.com classifieds. Or maybe you could pay for a spot on SOMD.com.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We don't charge for volunteers and PSAs. Just go into the handy dandy Volunteers Needed Announcements section (http://somd.com/announcements/volunteers/) post away.

The best method of getting volunteers is to have current volunteers personally recruit. It's easy to ignore a PSA but when your friend comes to you and says they could use your help, you're more likely to do it.

Volunteering is a great way to make new friends and get involved with your community. That's one of the things I miss about down there - me and all my friends volunteered in some fashion. And I'm being lazy up here because I know that if one of my neighbors came up to me and asked me to come help man the soup kitchen or cart meals to the elderly, I'd do it in a minute. I really should just contact someone and start doing more instead of waiting for them to come to me.