Waiting in a line to leave a store

PeoplesElbow

Does anyone else find it annoying to have to wait in a line to show a receipt to leave a store?

I don't usually mind showing my receipt, but what I do mind is stopping, waiting in a line just to show some geriatric a receipt.

The truth is they can't stop you, only an actual cop can stop you.

Chris0nllyn

The truth is they can't stop you, only an actual cop can stop you.

Sort of.

For places like Costco, you showing a receipt is a condition of your membership with them. Refusing to do so could mean loss of membership.

For some place like Wal-Mart, you are under no legal obligation to show the greeter/checker your receipt. Police would need probable cause that you've stolen something before you are legally required to show them. To get that PC, the officer would likely need to see the store's loss prevention folks and prove (via CCTV footage) you did, in fact, steal something. Some stores have policies stating that the checker or LP can't prevent you from leaving the store or parking lot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Doesn't bother me. At Walmart or Target or places like that, I keep my receipt out if I have a large purchase that they may want to check. At Costco, it's expected that you show your receipt. If I have to stand in line for a few seconds, I'm okay with that.

Now ask @Monello how he feels about standing in line... :lol:

TCROW

Sort of.

For places like Costco, you showing a receipt is a condition of your membership with them. Refusing to do so could mean loss of membership.

Good to know. Now there’s another reason I won’t pay a membership fee for the privilege of forking over my money to someplace.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I usually think of the poor person who has to ask for the receipts --- they probably hate it more than you do. So, I try to be understanding.

However, once in a while I might be in a foul mood and they know by my demeanor to leave me alone.

limblips

I don't really mind it because I know it is one way to help keep prices down. What does bother me is the fact they even need to do it. The mentality is that Walmart (or any other chain) is rich enough that they won't miss a few TVs. The reality is the scumsuckers are stealing from you and me because the retailer needs to cover the losses by raising prices. Capital punishment should be used for shoplifters!

You should always try to make it interesting for them when they are browsing your cart contents. The best line to use is "Do you think this is enough toilet paper for all this food?"

TCROW

I don't really mind it because I know it is one way to help keep prices down. What does bother me is the fact they even need to do it. The mentality is that Walmart (or any other chain) is rich enough that they won't miss a few TVs. The reality is the scumsuckers are stealing from you and me because the retailer needs to cover the losses by raising prices. Capital punishment should be used for shoplifters!

The reality is that the vast majority of inventory shrinkage is internal from employee pilferage. As such, there’s absolutely no reason to harass people who come to your store to spend their money.

TCROW

You should always try to make it interesting for them when they are browsing your cart contents. The best line to use is "Do you think this is enough toilet paper for all this food?"

Giant thorny dildos.

limblips

The reality is that the vast majority of inventory shrinkage is internal from employee pilferage. As such, there’s absolutely no reason to harass people who come to your store to spend their money.
Kind of like the border wall mentality. "It won't stop all of them so we shouldn't do it." If the program was not cost effective the retailers would not be doing it.

PeoplesElbow

Kind of like the border wall mentality. "It won't stop all of them so we shouldn't do it." If the program was not cost effective the retailers would not be doing it.

Generally this is for show, they don't actually compare your receipt to what you have in your cart, think how hard that would be.

I like Kwillia's idea. I am off to buy a cart full of cucumbers, zucchini and KY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wouldn't go to the mat and call a lawyer over something this insignificant. Anyone who would might want to consider anger management classes.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It doesn't bother me. I know it will happen at BJ's, as it did today. I rarely get stopped at Walmart, but I did about a week ago. I asked why and he said it was because I had an item not in a bag. Which was a big pack of toilet paper that wouldn't fit into the bags at the self checkout. He said it wasn't corporate policy but a managerial one at that store.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
No, it's not. It's just behind the number one cause - shoplifting.
  • Shoplifting - 38.5%
  • Employee theft - 34.5%
  • Paperwork error - ~16%
  • Vendor fraud - ~7%
  • Unknown causes - ~6%

There are four major sources of inventory shrinkage in retail: employee theft, shoplifting, paperwork errors, and supplier fraud. And there's also a fifth category of shrinkage, which encompasses all the unknown reasons for loss. This is simply the bucket for all the other "mysterious" reasons you have shrinkage that may not be identifiable to you in your store.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I pick my battles. Other than BJ's etc, if I see the person asking is the least bit aggressive or acting authoritative, it's FO or pound sand and out the door I go. But most of time, like at Walmart, while walking towards the door, I just smile, nod, acknowledge they see the receipt and keep going without interacting or stopping.