Wall Street Journal weighs in on BYBs

fredsaid2

I know it's not just arab breeders though they did make a crazed time of it at one point. I was told of someone who put together a syndication to buy an Arabian broodmare in hopes of making beaucoup money from breeding. Of course, the market bombed and the partners vanished. Someone was left with a very expensive pet. Will people ever learn that horses are not widgits and, NO, you will likely never make money with them??

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
My dad always told me that to make a million in horses you have to start with a million,
but then again he never would by me a horse either...:lol:

ibarrelwitharab

Don't EVER be a breedist!
I'm sorry, but there are some of us out there that would rather be in the poor house and take proper care of our horses instead of giving them away. I understand rescues have a place in this world, but where did this bleeding heart come from that believes horses are a luxury item? I think she's gone a little off the deep end!

Sparks

I'm sorry, but there are some of us out there that would rather be in the poor house and take proper care of our horses instead of giving them away. I understand rescues have a place in this world, but where did this bleeding heart come from that believes horses are a luxury item? I think she's gone a little off the deep end!

You're kidding right? Horses are most definately a luxury item. You WANT and ENJOY, perhaps LOVE them, but you don't NEED a horse to survive.

If you want to be in the poor house so that you can keep your horse, that's your choice. We all make certain sacrifices to keep our animals. But if you couldn't feed your kids or pay your bills but had a barn full of horses, there's something very wrong with that and most likely your animals will end up suffering too.

I think a lot of these people are in denial as to how bad off thier animals are, or maybe they don't know any better and probably shouldn't have gotten them in the first place.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

I'm confused too! Are you talking about the rescue or the breeder who thinks the govt should subsidize people like her who make bad financial decisions in the name of 'farming'? I'm with Sparks on horses being a luxury item. You should only have as many as you can afford to care for properly.

eventrder

It makes me laugh when people think your in higher class becuase you have horses! haha

If these people only knew that our horses make us broke! But we love them!!! I bet she was still feeding her kids when the times were getting rough! My grain is cheaper per bag than my dog's food! If the horses had grass they should not have looked like that!

ElliesMom

Wow that lady had her head up her butt. You can be lower income and own ONE horse should you choose to. Budgeting for your animal. To me my animals are my kids, I cant give up on them when times get rough! If you cant do it send them away??? So many people love thier animals especially horses as much as thier kids, and treat them as well!

Crazy, horses are not a luxury item like a freaking BMW or a mercedes!

appaholic

I'm confused too! Are you talking about the rescue or the breeder who thinks the govt should subsidize people like her who make bad financial decisions in the name of 'farming'? I'm with Sparks on horses being a luxury item. You should only have as many as you can afford to care for properly.

I agree with both you and Sparks, horses are definately a LUXURY item and if you are going to have one you need to have the financial means to take care of it. Ofcourse, I think this is true for children too, for last time I check my bankbook it costs alot of money to raise a child. And I don't think the govt should subsidize people who make bad financial decisions, " ie: like buying Mcmansions that they and the bank knew they could not afford." Ofcourse if we are going to let people get away with bad financial decisions I have a want list a mile long!!!

fredsaid2

I agree with both you and Sparks, horses are definately a LUXURY item and if you are going to have one you need to have the financial means to take care of it. Ofcourse, I think this is true for children too, for last time I check my bankbook it costs alot of money to raise a child. And I don't think the govt should subsidize people who make bad financial decisions, " ie: like buying Mcmansions that they and the bank knew they could not afford." Ofcourse if we are going to let people get away with bad financial decisions I have a want list a mile long!!!

I was thinking the same thing! There was an earlier thread where a poster thought the govt should bail out people in danger of losing their homes because of 'creative' loans. Live w/i your means or accept the consequences.

Sparks

I was thinking the same thing! There was an earlier thread where a poster thought the govt should bail out people in danger of losing their homes because of 'creative' loans. Live w/i your means or accept the consequences.

Amen sister! :huggy: :yay:

ElliesMom

oh dont get me started on the housing probkem and creative loans. If you cant get a 30yr fixed-- DONT get anything! BTW after your settled in that 30 year fixed and know your budget then you can think about horses!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
oh dont get me started on the housing probkem and creative loans. If you cant get a 30yr fixed-- DONT get anything! BTW after your settled in that 30 year fixed and know your budget then you can think about horses!
:yay: or even better a 15 year!!

And DON'T use Lending Tree. My kid did, and SO many companies ran a credit check on her, she couldn't even GET credit-I was shocked. Then they had a huge penalty when she refinanced and paid them off after the loan they got ballooned and they didn't realize it would do that...all that fine print gets missed on young, desparate or inexperienced people.

appaholic

:yay: or even better a 15 year!!

And DON'T use Lending Tree. My kid did, and SO many companies ran a credit check on her, she couldn't even GET credit-I was shocked. Then they had a huge penalty when she refinanced and paid them off after the loan they got ballooned and they didn't realize it would do that...all that fine print gets missed on young, desparate or inexperienced people.

SO true! My college age kids think they know everything, but almost got themselves in a bad position with that fine print!! Too much fast talk by someone saying sure buy, buy... and they don't even have full time employment. They are still a full time student on parents payroll!!

W

WhoCares

We were in our house for two years, and post college I got a horse. I have wanted another horse for years, but until I could afford the lifestyle I waited.