Walmart Help Wanted 2004 - Mow the roof?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Oh brother... The PRA and other environmentalists do a lot to harrass business in Southern Maryland, but this one is the most ridiculous to date.

Calvert County is considering a "green roof" requirement for "big box" stores to address environmental concerns about water runoff from large buildings.

I don't even know where to begin in making fun of this. I'm afraid I'll dig myself into a hole in the roof... :confused:

Elle

Happy Camper!
There is a place in Bowie right after the baysox stadium that has all sorts of greenery planted on the roof. My boss and I joked about it last time we drove by but I guess it's about to become common place.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
What is a "green roof"? Does that literally mean grass on the roof of the building?

Defined as "vegetation" so one can assume that grass or ground cover would be planted.

I see a whole cottage industry for the greenhouse business... This could be Walmarts way to revolutionize another industry. Imagine if each store had to stock their own plants from those grown on the roof. Or maybe that would be a great place to start a sod business. Imagine - you can go to Walmart to buy your front yard. Actually, I would think this would be a better idea for Lowes or Home Depot, but hey - I'm open-minded and most companies aren't opposed to making money on a novel idea.

Or, maybe they can open a rooftop buffet for vegetarians... Or move the lawn and garden department to the roof.

I would imagine that I can come up with enough ideas to become a highly paid rooftop vegetation consultant. These big companies are going to need someone to find a way to recover the additional construction costs, and I might be just the Executive Vice President they are looking for... hmm...

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Not as dumb as it sounds:

Overall building energy costs can be reduced due to the greenroofs’ natural thermal insulation properties – structures are cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
According to an article from the Environmental News Network, "a 3- to 7-degree temperature drop translates to a 10% reduction in air conditioning requirements. For a one-story structure with a green rooftop, cooling costs can be cut by 20 to 30%." The Weston Design Consultants recently conducted an energy study for the city of Chicago which estimated that it would be possible to save $100,000,000 in saved energy annually with the greening of all of the city's rooftops. The bottom line is that "Peak demand would be cut by 720 megawatts - the equivalent energy consumption of several coal-fired generating stations or one small nuclear power plant."

And for the flattops:

Acoustic insulation properties also exist with greenroofs, and many have been placed near airports yielding great results in noise reduction. Due to the soft plant level of extensive greenroofs, sound insulation can be reduced up to 8 dB www.zinco.de/evorteile.htm. According to Erisco Bauder Ltd. of England, “Noise protection can be as much as 25% for the extensive roofs and more for the intensive alternative.” The exact amount of noise reduction is hard to quantify and depends mostly on the thickness of the soil substrate and additional factors, i.e., leakage from skylights, but overall, up to a 50 decibel noise reduction can be realized (McMarlin, May/June, 1996).