Walmart is racist......

Hijinx

It's probably locked up because if it isn't the stuff grows legs and walks out of the store.
I am personally pissed because they lock up the gun shells too.

TCROW

I am quite certain Walmart has inventory shrinkage data to backup their decision.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Walmart locks up lots of things. It's pretty annoying when I have to find a floor walker to get some nail polish remover.

limblips

PREMO Member
For the same reason that at a certain liquor store I can walk by $150 bottles of Scotch with no anti-theft devices attached but the $40 Hennessy Cognac has them on every bottle.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Walmart locks up lots of things. It's pretty annoying when I have to find a floor walker to get some nail polish remover.

And, unlike the assertion of the woman that this is racial ("A Walmart store on Long Island, New York became the latest location of the retail giant to be accused of racial discrimination [emphasis added] for keeping African-American beauty and hair care products in a locked, glass case.") this has more to do with location of a store in an economically-depressed and/or high-crime area than directly attributable to race (one can feel free, I guess, to make any cause/effect statements one feels necessary).

Riverhead used to be smack in the middle of the Eastern LI farm community (especially the north shore & "spine" communities from Huntington to Orient Point). Now with the Long Island Expressway going all the way out to Riverhead, Queens (as in, NYC) has moved out to the entirety of LI. So while Riverhead is not exactly low-income, like all of Long Island these days, it is high crime. The central portion of Suffolk County (Islip, etc.) is just to the west of Riverhead and is the area where MS-13 has been active (historically, a very high population of Hispanics (illegal and otherwise) who were there for the farms and have stayed).

--- End of line (MCP)

A family member is a retail manager and recently was approached by an outraged customer. She was screeching about how dare they carry this product as she shoved a bottle of black Elmer's glue in his face. The label displayed the glue color in two languages. It said "black" and then "negro". The manager explained that was the Spanish word for black and that the white glue also says blanco. Didn't matter she was snapping pictures of it and sending it to everyone she knew telling them the store sells racist glue.

TCROW

Nail polish remover has materials that can be used to make crystal methamphetamine. Seems wise to keep that stuff locked up. War on Drugs and all that.

terbear1225

Nail polish remover has materials that can be used to make crystal methamphetamine. Seems wise to keep that stuff locked up. War on Drugs and all that.

I recently had to show ID to buy spray paint at Target. I assume that was a war on drugs/teenagers are stupid and will huff anything thing too.

Now with the Long Island Expressway going all the way out to Riverhead, Queens (as in, NYC) has moved out to the entirety of LI. So while Riverhead is not exactly low-income, like all of Long Island these days, it is high crime. The central portion of Suffolk County (Islip, etc.) is just to the west of Riverhead and is the area where MS-13 has been active (historically, a very high population of Hispanics (illegal and otherwise) who were there for the farms and have stayed).

--- End of line (MCP)
I lived just a few miles west of Riverhead for many years, grew up in that area. The MS-13 presence in Riverhead is very much a problem, almost no MS-13 just a few miles west. Towns like Riverside, which abut Riverhead to the south, is a hell hole. All of Riverhead and the surrounding areas are depressed and low income these days, reading the crime report reads like Lexington Park on a bad weekend. The ONLY thing that Riverhead has going for it is the Tanger Outlets at the end of the Expressway. Get away from Riverhead in any direction, and you return to the rural life, good folks and non-depressed areas.

Yooper

I lived just a few miles west of Riverhead for many years, grew up in that area. The MS-13 presence in Riverhead is very much a problem, almost no MS-13 just a few miles west. Towns like Riverside, which abut Riverhead to the south, is a hell hole. All of Riverhead and the surrounding areas are depressed and low income these days, reading the crime report reads like Lexington Park on a bad weekend. The ONLY thing that Riverhead has going for it is the Tanger Outlets at the end of the Expressway. Get away from Riverhead in any direction, and you return to the rural life, good folks and non-depressed areas.

What timeframe? Mine was 1960s-1970s; more toward the western side of Suffolk. Was mostly still farms; in fact, the LIE only went out to a little beyond the Nassau/Suffolk line for much of the time I was there (Commack - Exit 52, if I rightly remember, was the furthest). So my "problem areas geography" may be a bit dated (updates these days from family/friends still sticking it out; I absolutely refuse to "visit" for any reason: traffic sux and except for bagels and pizza the whole LI culture now apparently sux).

--- End of line (MCP)

Born in Shoreham in '54, went to Port Jefferson High, Southampton College '73-'74, got married and lived in Ridge until '94 at which time Grumman closed the Calverton facility and I moved down here for work. Suffolk, as a rule, is still pretty decent, but western Nassau is the pits. Much of the farming on the East End is gone, replaced with wineries. Can't drive 2 feet down Sound Ave without finding one.

Interesting too, the Hamptons of socialite fame, Southampton, East Hampton, etc... are just 30 minutes from Riverhead.

You're right about that very old cliche about pizza and bagels. Nobody does them better than NY and LI (no disregard to NJ fans...). My fav bagel place is, coincidentally, in a new plaza in Riverhead. They make the best egg bagels, and I usually bring back 2 dozen or so and freeze them.

Still had family in Miller Place until recently, and friends in Calverton, so I was up there pretty frequently. Things changed, haven't been up in about 2 years now. Really miss the food and the beaches. Thinking of getting a summer place up there. Yeah, the culture does suck, but really no worse than anywhere else.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CVS faced the same accusations some yrs back .... simple stores lock up what gets stolen the most

Yooper

[P]izza and bagels. Nobody does them better than NY and LI (no disregard to NJ fans...).
Really miss the food and the beaches. Thinking of getting a summer place up there. Yeah, the culture does suck, but really no worse than anywhere else.

Both are now long closed, but the two best pizza places I ever found were Sally's (in Deer Park; Suffolk) and Frank's (in Westbury; Nassau). But I think it was more a case of it being more difficult to find a lousy pizza joint, right? I also do miss the various farmers markets (like the really long gone Hicksville farmers market (down near Sunrise Hwy)) and their barrel pickles!

I was more North Shore than south, but man, Robert Moses was THE place to be until the crowds came, the fees went up, and it started being more like Jones Beach than Suffolk County. Never spent much time on the South Shore towards the Hamptons/Montauk Point, though.

My dad was in aviation so I spent quite a bit of time at Grumman in Bethpage, Republic in Farmingdale, etc.

Given that my family came down to LI from the Boston area, I really do miss the NE fishing/boating/historic whaling culture of the north shore (Huntington Harbor & points east). But that North Shore culture had faded to "tourist gaudy" by the time I finished school; so I joined the Army to get out of there and never really (except for very short visits to the getting older parents) went back. More power to you for sticking it out until you did.

That Long Island is, sadly, LONG gone. As "they" say, you really can't go back again.

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I had to show ID to buy a bag of catnip.

Catnip is a gateway herb.

Hijinx

Speaking of racism, I just read that Mary Poppins is racist ,because it has black on the faces of the Chimney sweep.

The accusations get more ridiculous every day.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
I had to show ID and sign for Mucinex D at $23 a box because you can make Meth with it. I told the clerk it was just silly because I could by Meth cheaper and already made over in the projects, and I didn't even need ID! But that wouldn't clear my sinuses.

h3mech

For the same reason that at a certain liquor store I can walk by $150 bottles of Scotch with no anti-theft devices attached but the $40 Hennessy Cognac has them on every bottle.
The base exchange locks up the 900.00 whiskey, I think locks keep honest people honest.