WALSH: 3 Reasons Why Gillette's 'Toxic Masculinity' Ad Is Incredibly Stupid And Degrading

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Feminists love the ad and apparently cannot understand why so many men have reacted negatively to it. I thought I would help them out by offering a mansplaination:

1) The Me Too movement didn't "change" anything for most of us. It is obviously insulting, not to mention absurd, to suggest that men, as a whole, experienced some sort of great awakening when Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, and Kevin Spacey got in trouble. We already knew that it's wrong to rape. We were already well aware that harassment is not okay. There is not a single man on Earth who watched a news report about Weinstein, slapped his forehead, and said, "Oh! So we're not supposed to do that? Alright then! My mistake!" Even the men who do those things already knew they weren't supposed to do them. They do the things anyway because they are evil, and that's what evil people do.

2) "Boys will be boys" is not a rationale for bad behavior. In my entire life I have never once heard anyone, ever, offer "boys will be boys" as an excuse for rape or bullying. I have never seen a bunch of men standing around watching a kid pummel another kid while they all nod in approval and say "boys will be boys" to one another, like programed automatons. Have the people at Gillette ever even met an actual human man before? Perhaps not. Maybe that's why they think we need a razor with 14 blades to shave in the morning, as if our beards are made from the steel bristles of a wire brush.

In any case, "boys will be boys" does not generally function as an excuse. It is a cliche but, like many cliches, it contains great wisdom. Boys will indeed be boys, and should be boys, and should be allowed to be boys without their natural boy-ness being constantly suppressed. Boys are energetic, aggressive, creative, competitive. They need safe and accepting outlets for these impulses. Incidentally, rolling around and roughhousing is one such outlet. The ad shows an enlightened man swooping in to stop a couple of young boys from wrestling around in the grass, which is exactly the wrong approach. As long as it's all in good fun, and nobody is getting seriously hurt, and it is not a case of assault or actual bullying, then the fatherly instinct to step back and let the boys be boys is correct.

WALSH: 3 Reasons Why Gillette's 'Toxic Masculinity' Ad Is Incredibly Stupid And Degrading

Sapidus

" boys will be boys and locker room talk" are the exact phrases you used to defend Trump saying it is ok to sexually assault women.

You are part of the problem

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

" boys will be boys and locker room talk" are the exact phrases you used to defend Trump saying it is ok to sexually assault women. You are part of the problem

Hey there quim drip. Locker room talk does not equate to actual physical assault. Just like with you, all talk and no action.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... you used to defend Trump saying it is ok to sexually assault women.

be specific Where did I say it was ok so sexually assault women .....

you obviously lack the English language skills to understand metaphors and what Trump was saying about gold digging women

CPUSA

" boys will be boys and locker room talk" are the exact phrases you used to defend Trump saying it is ok to sexually assault women.

You were raised to be a little fragile beta SADPUSSI.
That's not my fault. That's the fault of whatever raised you.
Now go make your boyfriend a sammich and get back to washing his drawers

SamSpade

I'm thinking this whole issue has a shelf life of about two weeks before we've all forgotten about it.

BOP

Like the man said, it's the male feminists who are being hung from the yard arms as sexual abusers of women.

BOP

And you apparently haven't had any since any had you.

Hijinx

I don't understand why society today seems to want to feminize males.
It's bad enough when people like Jenner want to feminize themselves, but it seems males are under attack.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Feminists love the ad and apparently cannot understand why so many men have reacted negatively to it....

Short answer, I think, is that this is more about "bottom line" than social wokeness. Although Gillette is hoping social wokeness will help the bottom line.

There are numerous competitors out there are making hay (and dollars) getting customers to buy their cheaper razor products. Dollar Shave Club comes to mind. Long before this new ad Gillette was touting lower prices and bringing in "faces" in its ads with the hope that a) it was no longer a month's paycheck to buy razor blades and b) if you didn't buy Gillette you were putting these poor folks out of business. I'm guessin' it didn't work. So now we go for bald women (recent ad) and social wokeness to prop up flagging sales.... Just like Dick's Sporting Goods, haven't given a dime to Gillette (specifically) in quite some time (years).

I don't understand why society today seems to want to feminize males.
It's bad enough when people like Jenner want to feminize themselves, but it seems males are under attack.

The idea is that the "age of strength and stoicism" (i.e., men) is over and the "age of communication" is now upon us (i.e., women). So if men want to keep up they have to ditch the things that make them men and become, well, women.

Given this new advertising pitch I wonder how long it will be before Gillette bows out of its sponsorship of the Patriots' stadium....

It will also be interesting to see if "go woke go broke" is true in the long run. Hope so (though I think I'm betting the wrong side), because I would just like a product to be a product. I really don't need/appreciate companies charging me more so they can advertise and say they gave "x millions of dollars" to the "Save the Spiny Backed Razor Horn Unicorned Sparrow Hawk of Northern Blahblahistan" campaign.

(As you watch TV take note of the high percentage of ads that say NOTHING about the product and instead spend the entire ad touting some feeling or cause.)

--- End of line (MCP)

Hijinx

Short answer, I think, is that this is more about "bottom line" than social wokeness. Although Gillette is hoping social wokeness will help the bottom line.

There are numerous competitors out there are making hay (and dollars) getting customers to buy their cheaper razor products. Dollar Shave Club comes to mind. Long before this new ad Gillette was touting lower prices and bringing in "faces" in its ads with the hope that a) it was no longer a month's paycheck to buy razor blades and b) if you didn't buy Gillette you were putting these poor folks out of business. I'm guessin' it didn't work. So now we go for bald women (recent ad) and social wokeness to prop up flagging sales.... Just like Dick's Sporting Goods, haven't given a dime to Gillette (specifically) in quite some time (years).

The idea is that the "age of strength and stoicism" (i.e., men) is over and the "age of communication" is now upon us (i.e., women). So if men want to keep up they have to ditch the things that make them men and become, well, women.

Given this new advertising pitch I wonder how long it will be before Gillette bows out of its sponsorship of the Patriots' stadium....

It will also be interesting to see if "go woke go broke" is true in the long run. Hope so (though I think I'm betting the wrong side), because I would just like a product to be a product. I really don't need/appreciate companies charging me more so they can advertise and say they gave "x millions of dollars" to the "Save the Spiny Backed Razor Horn Unicorned Sparrow Hawk of Northern Blahblahistan" campaign.

(As you watch TV take note of the high percentage of ads that say NOTHING about the product and instead spend the entire ad touting some feeling or cause.)

--- End of line (MCP)

I use Bic throwaways.

BOP

Amen. brother, amen...

I think the Drill Sergeant nailed it talking about the assumption that all men are (insert here ______) and we need to nip that crap in the bud. It's funny, I hear stuff I didn't hear previously everytime I watch that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Gillette gets to pick their customers. it's their right to do so.

So just give it a couple years and the model Gillette customer will be some proggish beta-male sporting a man bun, wearing a romper.

Hijinx

Gillette gets to pick their customers. it's their right to do so.

So just give it a couple years and the model Gillette customer will be some proggish beta-male sporting a man bun, wearing a romper.

Maybe they are trying to sell their razors to women who shave all their underarms, legs , and birds with.
It's getting tougher to be a man every day.