Wanted 2-4 laying hens

SPF001

If anyone has any extra laying hens keep me in mind. We were going to get some before Easter but didn't want to get them before going out of town. Well they sold and now I have new hen house with no hens.

Simple Pleasures Farm

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
If anyone has any extra laying hens keep me in mind. We were going to get some before Easter but didn't want to get them before going out of town. Well they sold and now I have new hen house with no hens.

Simple Pleasures Farm

I wanted hens for my own use. Eggs just for my family. Can someone explain what is needed, and how to go about doing this, along with what kind of hens I need.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!

Simple Pleasures Farm

I need some full size laying hens too...last weekend a fox broke into my coop an got all but 3 chickens.:bawl: I loved my chickens. they followed me around the yard during the day. We have re-fortified and will try again

JessieGirl

Simple Pleasures Farm

We just hatched about 30 Rhode Island Red chicks. They are brown chickens and lay brown eggs. Once they are old enough to tell what they are, your are more than welcome to purchase some. I will keep you in mind.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I have 4 free roosters. Not fighting roosters, they are pets and well behaved if anyone wants them. Take one or take them all.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn

Simple Pleasures Farm

I was looking for layers too.. :howdy:have some chicks on order but won't be here til middle/end of summer. Got a couple broiler hens from the market in the meantime.. maybe they'll lay as we fatten 'em up.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
Does anyone know if there is any ordances or laws that would prevent me from building a coop in my back yard for laying chickens for my own use? I live in mechanicsville

SPF001

Well I picked up 2 hens and a rooster. They are very friendly and my boys can pick the hens up without a problem. The rooster is another story. The first night we spend about 10 minutes trying to catch him and get him in the coop. Lesson 1 even if you think the rooster is not very smart he still knows to get inside the chicken coop at night.

We also just go our first egg tonight. It was pretty cool.

Simple Pleasures Farm

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
SPF,
I'm so glad they did so well! Cay is a pain to catch, but you'll probably find them all going to the coop at 5-6 by themselves in the evening now that they've slept in there a few nights, so that should be a relief :)
I'm so glad you got your first egg! I forgot to send their oyster shells with you :( I hope you guys enjoy them, Chocolate and Hazel (especially Chocolate) are such good girls! I really enjoyed their company when in the yard, they would always run to greet you something that always tickled me :) Something fun to teach your boys is that the girls love when you scratch with your feet on the ground like you've found something interesting (mimic a chicken scatching), they rarely ignore this and will run over to see what goodies you've unearthed :)
Something I forgot to mention is the girls are about 2 years old and Cay is still under a year, Silkies are known for being gentle so I don't expect he'll ever become a real jerky rooster - but I would still let the boys know if he starts jumping around and showing off just to walk at him and push him out of the way. He will just stop, perhaps a little embrassed? :)
Anyhow thanks again for giving them such a great yard to enjoy!!!
Stacey