Wanted: Someone to cut/bale my pasture

JustSayNeigh

Hi, all. I live in Helen MD and have approx 3 acres of pasture grass (which will yield approx 250-300 bales). I'm looking for someone who can cut/bale it for me, as I have adopted two rescue horses and will need the hay this winter. Expecting/willing to pay. A gentleman in Valley Lee said yes, until he came up and saw how far away from him we were. I've called the Russell Brothers, Friendly Farm, and Sutler Post. Can anyone help? We don't have any equipment except a Ford 1600 diesel tractor. Thanks.

PrepH4U

Hi, all. I live in Helen MD and have approx 3 acres of pasture grass (which will yield approx 250-300 bales). I'm looking for someone who can cut/bale it for me, as I have adopted two rescue horses and will need the hay this winter. Expecting/willing to pay. A gentleman in Valley Lee said yes, until he came up and saw how far away from him we were. I've called the Russell Brothers, Friendly Farm, and Sutler Post. Can anyone help? We don't have any equipment except a Ford 1600 diesel tractor. Thanks.

Go ask at the hen yard they may know someone that could help you.

JustSayNeigh

Thanks, already tried there, too. Seems like if they have the equipment, they don't have the time, or the distance is too far to travel. Sure hate to buy hay, when I have enough standing for me and someone else. Sigh

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
A gentleman in Valley Lee said yes, until he came up and saw how far away from him we were.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that only about a half hour? :lol: Is there another Helen, MD that is way out in the middle of nowhere?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that only about a half hour? :lol: Is there another Helen, MD that is way out in the middle of nowhere?

30 minutes (by car) is a long enough trip but when pulling farm implements, especially when you have to travel through Leonardtown that 30 minutes turns into 90+ minutes each way.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
30 minutes (by car) is a long enough trip but when pulling farm implements, especially when you have to travel through Leonardtown that 30 minutes turns into 90+ minutes each way.
Extra time. Extra gas. Add it to the estimate. :shrug:

highnote

I know some places rent farm implements. I'm not familiar with the size of a ford 1600... but if it can handle baling implements, I bet you can find a place to rent them and do it yourself.

highnote

Also, try earnshaw farm. I've seen them baling their fields, rounds, they are pretty close to helen.

fredsaid2

Three acres is not much for the amount of effort to hay it for square bales. Perhaps a farmer would be willing to round bale it. You sell him the hay and use the money to buy square bales.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Three acres is not much for the amount of effort to hay it for square bales. Perhaps a farmer would be willing to round bale it. You sell him the hay and use the money to buy square bales.

Try Peter Weber on Route 6. He may be able to help.

JustSayNeigh

Which Route 6? South of us, across from Capt Leonard's? North and West of us, towards LaPlata? North and East of us, towards, Hunter's Point? West of LaPlata? Do you happen to know his phone number? Or what town he's affiliated with? Do you want to invest in some equipment and split the hay?

JustSayNeigh

Thanks for all of your imput, but so far, nothing has worked. I am so discouraged; I've tried just about everyone around here, with no luck. Guy Bros farm implements has a cutter for $1,000 and a baler for $8,000. That doesn't include the side delivery rake, the tedder or a wagon to kick the bales onto. Our budget ended at the first $1,000. Still keeping my hopes up.

fredsaid2

Thanks for all of your imput, but so far, nothing has worked. I am so discouraged; I've tried just about everyone around here, with no luck. Guy Bros farm implements has a cutter for $1,000 and a baler for $8,000. That doesn't include the side delivery rake, the tedder or a wagon to kick the bales onto. Our budget ended at the first $1,000. Still keeping my hopes up.

I have a bit more land in hay than you. I've worked with three different people to cut it the past few years. It's never quite worked out as well as I hoped. At this point I'd rather buy hay and cut out the aggravation of scheduling and the worry of getting the hay in at the right time and around the rain.

Another thought, before you invest in equipment, loan yourself out to someone to bring in their hay crop. That may change your mind on the do-it-yourself. Good luck!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
IAnother thought, before you invest in equipment, loan yourself out to someone to bring in their hay crop. That may change your mind on the do-it-yourself. Good luck!

Very good advice..and I say that as someone who baled over 300 acres of hay and straw every year as a young farm lad.

And the equipment is flat out dangerous to boot..for even an experienced operator. One miscalculation trying to unclog the baler for the umpteenth time that day...one off camber turn taken too quickly with loaded hay wagon...

JustSayNeigh

Thanks to all who responded. At my age, it wouldn't be prudent to invest in all the equipment for haying. Not to reveal my age, but when I was growing up, we couldn't afford all the farming equipment and put loose hay up in the barn with a hay fork on a carriage and track. My job was to ride the dump rake and make all the windrows even; then I had to tamp down the loose hay on the wagon; and then I was sent up into the hayloft and tamped down the hay so we could get more in. I know what a hot, dirty, dusty job haying can be. I also hate to see the pasture cut by bush hog when it could be baled and fed to the boys over the winter.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Which Route 6? South of us, across from Capt Leonard's? North and West of us, towards LaPlata? North and East of us, towards, Hunter's Point? West of LaPlata? Do you happen to know his phone number? Or what town he's affiliated with? Do you want to invest in some equipment and split the hay?

Towards LaPlata on the right. Has a "Hay for Sale" sign in his yard.