***warning *** scam at southern maryland wawa ***warning***

3CATSAILOR

Be careful of a scam that has been happening at our local WaWa. The management and the Sheriff's Office is aware of it. Please note: I am putting this info out here because the good nature of our folks are falling for this scam. If the police have informed people of this scam, I haven't seen it. I am not saying they haven't. I simply haven't seen it.

Here is how it works -

You pull up to get gas. There is a person on the cell phone (at least pretending to be) at their car which is opposite of your car or near by your car. He tells the person on the cell phone with him to hang on. He then comes over to you and tells you that he lost his wallet and he doesn't know where it is. He tells you that he works at a local company that most folks around here would know which is his attempt at making you feel more at ease to give him some money.-"This is actually his mindset". The latest one he used was a local heating and A/C company. He said he is out of gas and needs some money to get gas. But, yet he was fully able to get to the gas pump and line right up with it. He may continue his story with some other drama he may think of at the time such as a wife and or kids. Whatever he may think might get your attention. In particular if he notices you are married or that you have kids in the car. Another wards, he is going to play on any soft spot he thinks you have. Let me be clear this type of person is truly the "scum of the earth". I say this is because they use us as trusting souls and abuse us so much that we get to a point that we can't trust anyone. This is the second time the same scam has happened to me. The first time, the guy was in his 20s. This latest time, the different person is in his 40s. Both are black males.

Just because two of these scams took place at a Wawa, it does not mean it can't take place at any other location. Be aware of it. Please note: When in doubt, call the police. Our police will be more than happy to talk to him. And if in fact it is a person truly in need, the police will more than likely help the person. When I turned the table on him and said, wow, your credit cards and driver's license was in your wallet that you can't find. It might have been stolen. Let me get a deputy over here so you can talk to him about it. He then quickly walked away as soon as I mentioned anything about police. I suspect as it gets closer to Christmas, the scammers will start coming out of the wood work.

tlak77

I would not give one money.
I would buy them $5 of fuel and ask to pose for the picture (take with my phone and latter posted here) in front of the car they drive showing licence plates. $5 should be enough of fuel to get them anywhere locally nowadays :),.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I would not give one money.
I would buy them $5 of fuel and ask to pose for the picture (take with my phone and latter posted here) in front of the car they drive showing licence plates. $5 should be enough of fuel to get them anywhere locally nowadays :),.

:yay:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Women often receive warnings about protecting themselves at the mall and in dark parking lots, etc. This is the first warning for men. I wanted to pass it on in case you haven't heard about it. This will only become more commonplace as we head to the Home Improvement Centers.

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, or Costco customers. This one caught me by surprise. Over the last month, I also became a victim of this clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works: Two seriously good-looking 20-something girls come over to your vehicle as you are packing your shopping items. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to McDonald's. You agree and they get into the back seat. On the way, they start undressing. THEN, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th,17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th. Also, July 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So, fwd. this on and tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for $1.99 at K- Mart and bought them out. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonald's. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Costco.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't fall for any of the scams. I just say no. Sorry, I don't trust anyone in those situations. And if they have a celllphone, they can call someone the know. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The guy approached me a few weeks ago. Nice looking guy, black, maybe mid-30s. Said he worked for a local heating and A/C company, locked his wallet in his car, etc, would I give him gas money. I said that the police would be glad to help him get back in his car, and I pulled out my cell phone to call. He said no, that's okay, and walked off.

:shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also theres a blonde young woman, white, late teens-ish, who hangs out at the Wawa on 235 & 4 panhandling. She starts out by complimenting you as you go by - "I like your shoes." If you acknowledge her in any way, she'll try and bum money off you.

BigBlue

The guy approached me a few weeks ago. Nice looking guy, black, maybe mid-30s. Said he worked for a local heating and A/C company, locked his wallet in his car, etc, would I give him gas money. I said that the police would be glad to help him get back in his car, and I pulled out my cell phone to call. He said no, that's okay, and walked off.

They tried me at the Wawa in Brandywine ,twice ,not being mean I say no .

SoMdDude

Some dude with a gas can tried to get money from me once outside the Dunkin Donuts in Accokeek claiming he ran out of gas and had to get back to VA, I said sorry man I dont carry cash, he walked away, this was about 3 months ago.

This past wednesday, same dude carrying a gas can again... walked up to me and before he could finish his bullsheet, I said look man I saw you at dunkin donuts up the road 3 months ago, you still havent got to VA? Then said go BS to someone else, he just put his head down and walked away.... I hate liars

edinsomd

I got hit up with this at the McKay's on GMR. Told the fellow sorry, all my funds were tied up in cash. He said that's OK and went looking for his next victim.

Bann

PREMO Member

:jet: Real desperate type, eh?!

See, a person in REAL need can usually (typically) get SOME help without begging or panhandling. I live and work in PF. I use the local gas stations and 99.999% of the time, it's the Safeway gas station. That's actually less than 2 miles away from a homeless shelter, Social Services, the Sheriff's Department AND the State Trooper's Barracks. Not to mention 2 churches. I'm sure they can find "help" if they truly needed just help. They could get an emergency ride from someone. They could make an emergency phone call to *someone*.

I don't feel once ounce of guilt for not helping them, either. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

How was he going to drive the car if he locked his wallet in it?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
My daughter was helped out once.
She was on her way home from college for the weekend.
She stopped to get gas and realized that she left her purse in her room.
She was on empty and would not of made it back.
A nice person approached while she was freaking out and gave her $20 (and nothing else you sick people reading into this).

She was able to get the persons address, and we sent them a very nice thank you card with $40.
There are nice people still out there, but this was about 6 years ago.

Bann

PREMO Member
How was he going to drive the car if he locked his wallet in it?

Same thought i had PE

My daughter was helped out once.
She was on her way home from college for the weekend.
She stopped to get gas and realized that she left her purse in her room.
She was on empty and would not of made it back.
A nice person approached while she was freaking out and gave her $20 (and nothing else you sick people reading into this).

She was able to get the persons address, and we sent them a very nice thank you card with $40.
There are nice people still out there, but this was about 6 years ago.

I think I remember you telling this story on here! (could have been someone else with another similar story)

But see, this is different. She was clearly in distress and someone noticed. She wasn't panhandling or begging.

I'll bet once she got her wits about her, she would have thought about calling you guys and you could have done something like pay over the phone with a credit card, etc.

Jayn

Jay
I actually got hit over the phone believe it or not! A woman responded to my Craigslist ad and when I called her to ask about a date and the first thing out of her mouth was "I'm at Wawa and I need $50 to get back to Va."
What a bitch!
Said her name was Pamila or something..

Last edited: