***warning *** scam at southern maryland wawa ***warning***

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Happened to me last weekend at the Shoppers. Really upset my 6 yr old grdaughter that I wouldn't help him.:mad:

Once again, I'm not so concerned about me, I'm not giving them anything. But I don't want them approaching my 80-yr old aunt, or my young DIL.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Happened to me last weekend at the Shoppers. Really upset my 6 yr old grdaughter that I wouldn't help him.:mad:

Once again, I'm not so concerned about me, I'm not giving them anything. But I don't want them approaching my 80-yr old aunt, or my young DIL.

Back in the spring, Thing2 took a buddy up to the train station in DC and they were approached by a bedraggled woman who claimed to be hungry, and asked for money. His buddy gave her a bag with 2 doughnuts left in it. She took the bag and walked about 10 steps away and tossed the bag into the garbage can.

Thing2 told me they both were like "really?!!".

The thing is - he said before his buddy handed her the bag, he (Thing2) was thinking of asking her where she got the money for CIGARETTES, because she was smoking. But he held his tongue and didn't say it, feeling a little sorry for her - and they were giving her doughnuts they didn't want anymore, anyway. After they watched her throw the bag into the trash, he was ticked off ---but still held his tongue. I'm sure it was a good idea to hold his tongue up there, because you never know what kind of psychos you're dealing with in this day and age. Still, it was a lesson learned. :ohwell:

frequentflier

happy to be living
If this is happening outside a business, I would be inclined to inform management. I expect most would call the police and have the person removed and warned not to come back. I know I would!

Thanks for the warning!

Women often receive warnings about protecting themselves at the mall and in dark parking lots, etc. This is the first warning for men. I wanted to pass it on in case you haven't heard about it. This will only become more commonplace as we head to the Home Improvement Centers.

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, or Costco customers. This one caught me by surprise. Over the last month, I also became a victim of this clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works: Two seriously good-looking 20-something girls come over to your vehicle as you are packing your shopping items. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to McDonald's. You agree and they get into the back seat. On the way, they start undressing. THEN, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen June 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th,17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th. Also, July 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So, fwd. this on and tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for $1.99 at K- Mart and bought them out. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonald's. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Costco.

:faint::bann:

I told my hubby for his own safety he is not allowed to go to Lowe's, Home Depot or Costco!!! So glad you bought all the wallets around town!

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Also theres a blonde young woman, white, late teens-ish, who hangs out at the Wawa on 235 & 4 panhandling. She starts out by complimenting you as you go by - "I like your shoes." If you acknowledge her in any way, she'll try and bum money off you.

Hah, I wear crocs. You're caught bitch!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My daughter was helped out once.
She was on her way home from college for the weekend.
She stopped to get gas and realized that she left her purse in her room.
She was on empty and would not of made it back.
A nice person approached while she was freaking out and gave her $20 (and nothing else you sick people reading into this).

She was able to get the persons address, and we sent them a very nice thank you card with $40.
There are nice people still out there, but this was about 6 years ago.

That's what is wrong with this world now, so many scammers make the innocent ones questionable.

bilbur

That's what is wrong with this world now, so many scammers make the innocent ones questionable.

This is the truth. Yeas ago this wasn't a problem in St Mary's and when I first got hit up I was gullible enough to give them money. It didn't take long for me to realize the stories were all similar and I watched one lady get gas money from another lady then jump right in her car and drive off without getting gas. Because of the trash that lies and panhandles I have my standard answer of I don't carry cash. It is unfortunate for the ones that truly need money for gas but the scammers outnumber the real people in need by 1000 to one and finding that one is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I actually though beggars had moved on because I haven't been hit up in a while, I guess I have just been lucky.

3CATSAILOR

I would hope people can tell the difference between a young girl with a "real" need and an idiot that is an obvious scammer. If not, folks are more stupid than I thought. Most young ladies these days have their cell to call dad or other relatives for help.

BOP

Also theres a blonde young woman, white, late teens-ish, who hangs out at the Wawa on 235 & 4 panhandling. She starts out by complimenting you as you go by - "I like your shoes." If you acknowledge her in any way, she'll try and bum money off you.

That's when you say to her "say, didn't I see you working it on Great Mills last night?"

snake

People are always asking for free money for everything at all times everywhere. Hell, they do it all alongside the left turn lanes all over Maryland during rush hours trying to make a buck. Just don't give people you don't know your own hard-earned money. Problem solved. It's all a scam and the answer is always the cold shoulder or "I don't have cash." Easy enough.