Warren - Platform

This_person

you know damn well she means for the Gov to Pay for it
Of course she does. That doesn't make her wrong that it is we, the people's right to have childcare. She's just wrong for trying to tax people to pay for other people's child care.

I've said it before, we need to stop arguing when they say something is a "right". It almost certainly is. Child care is a right. Health care and health care insurance are rights. Owning and bearing a weapon is a right. Freely speaking is a right. Driving a car is a right.

No one is required to pay for these rights, and the right to drive a car is on YOUR property or the property of people who accept you driving on it. Driving on "public" roads is only a right insofar as certain responsibilities and restrictions come with it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Warren’s $52T 'Medicare-for-all' plan revealed: Campaign still claims no middle-class tax hikes needed

Like Medicare-for-all’s chief Senate champion, fellow candidate Bernie Sanders, the Warren campaign argues that many of these costs already are being spent in the existing health care system by governments, employers and individuals in the form of premiums, deductibles and other expenses.

The Warren campaign claims those individual costs would drop to “practically zero,” while the plan maintains and boosts a funding pipeline from other sources. However, unlike Sanders’ plan, Warren’s projects no burden for the middle class and a price tag of "just under $52 trillion" over the next 10 years, or slightly less than cost projections for the current system. Sanders’ plan has been estimated to cost roughly $32 trillion, though that price tag reflects additional spending while Warren's seems to factor in current spending as well.

So how would she pay for it?

Among other proposals, Warren calls for bringing in nearly $9 trillion in new Medicare taxes on employers over the next 10 years, arguing this would essentially replace what they’re already paying for employee health insurance. Further, Warren’s campaign says if they are at risk of falling short of the revenue target, they could impose a “Supplemental Employer Medicare Contribution” for big companies with “extremely high executive compensation and stock buyback rates.”

Whether some of those costs, however, still could be passed on to middle-class employees -- as economists argue payroll tax costs often are -- remains to be seen. As the Tax Policy Center has noted, it is assumed the "employee bears the burden of both the employer and employee portions of payroll taxes."

Warren also proposes even more taxes on the ultra-rich, expanding on her previously announced signature wealth tax, to tax more of anyone’s net worth over $1 billion (estimated to raise another $1 trillion). Warren also calls for raising capital gains tax rates for the wealthy, taxing more foreign earnings and imposing a tax on financial transactions to generate $800 billion in revenue.

Aside from those and other taxes, the campaign claims they can scrounge up $2.3 trillion with better tax enforcement and policies, as well as additional funds by reining in defense spending.

well if Warren an ' increase revenue' why not propose a bill to tighten up the tax enforcement now ...

Last edited:

BOP

She's absolutely correct that it is a person's right to any kind of childcare one chooses (provided it does not harm the child, but that's a whole different subject).

She's absolutely wrong that the government has any role in taking money from anyone to pay for that for citizens who want it.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.
You need to define your terms, dude; specifically: "right." I'm not seeing "child care" listed among the amendments to the Constitution.

This_person

You need to define your terms, dude; specifically: "right." I'm not seeing "child care" listed among the amendments to the Constitution.
It absolutely is - it's the tenth amendment.

You have a right to EVERYTHING. Government is restricted, you are essentially unrestricted with the exceptions of those things given to the government. You have a right to health care, you have a right to NOT have health care. You have a right to whatever kind of child care you want (with the exception of actually harming the child intentionally - we do protect those unable to protect themselves).

What you don't have a right to is anyone else's labor or the fruits thereof. If you want child care, pay for it. If you want health care, pay for it. If you want a trip to Mars, pay for it. If you want time travel (which is also your right), pay for it. Note, the last two are not yet available. Just because it is your right does not mean it is the responsibility of anyone to be out there to provide the service.

EVERYTHING is your right.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Warren Says She Won’t Pick An Education Secretary Until They Are Approved By A ‘Young Trans Person’

“I have two qualifications that I have talked about over and over for my secretary of education,” Warren says, addressing the voter directly. “The first, it has to be someone who has taught in a public school.”

To ensure that that public schools then become a “welcoming community” for transgender and LGBT youth, she’ll make the second qualification passing an interview with a “young trans person” — and not just any “young trans person,” the very young trans person that suggested Warren set a “welcoming community” as a goal.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Warren Says She Won’t Pick An Education Secretary Until They Are Approved By A ‘Young Trans Person’

“I have two qualifications that I have talked about over and over for my secretary of education,” Warren says, addressing the voter directly. “The first, it has to be someone who has taught in a public school.”

To ensure that that public schools then become a “welcoming community” for transgender and LGBT youth, she’ll make the second qualification passing an interview with a “young trans person” — and not just any “young trans person,” the very young trans person that suggested Warren set a “welcoming community” as a goal.
Why not have a Hunger Games type competition?