Was Jesus Suicidal?

seekeroftruth

Matthew 26:36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
43 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. 44 So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.
45 Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 46 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
What does it mean to be overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death?

I just read that Luke refers to Jesus' sweating blood. I read there is a scientific name for it and doctors saw it a lot during the second world war.

Jesus knew humans could not and would not take care of themselves. We are doomed to be ignorant, self-centered, morons when left to our own devices. We beat each other over the head with a leather-bound book that many haven't had the time to read. We hate.... it's the serpent in all of us. We don't listen... it's the "top of the food chain" attitude. Jesus knew because He was in Human form. Jesus became a man! He wept. He had feelings.

Some say Jesus didn't want to go to the cross. I'm wondering now if Matthew is describing a suicidal man.

In order of a human to commit suicide, there has to be a deep, deep sorrow. Since Heaven is Heaven, I doubt seriously that Jesus was aware of how devastating sorrow can be. All those insults He endured, some from His own family, must have piled up. All the inhumanity He saw and all the illness. His human life was not one to brag on. He was a carpenter's bastard son. He was hated at the Temple. He was invited to go jump off a cliff. He was accused of being Satan himself. He endured the heartbreak of the warring from His own disciples, the sons of Zebedee. Everyone and everything was bringing Him gloom.

Now one of His own, Judas, was going to betray Him.

Some have said that Jesus was an enemy of the State. He had a price on His head. He came here to save mankind from themselves. He came here to end the death sentence brought on by Adam and Eve. He saw so much hurting. He took it all upon Himself. He took their sorrow. He took their pain. It all added up.

Was Jesus really suicidal? I've been at the point of arguing with God over what was going on in life. I've asked Him to explain Himself. Jesus knew so much more about everyone around Him. He could read minds. He read all those sick thoughts people have.

Was Matthew describing a suicidal man who could find no one to stand with Him?

Was He suicidal?

:coffee:

SamSpade

I think Jesus knew very well before he came to Earth that his entire mission was to die horribly on a cross. Even John knew this, calling him the Lamb of God.

But people are FEARFUL of horrible pain and death. They're sorrowful when they learn that a close friend will betray him and all but one of his followers will completely abandon him, especially the one he's spent so much time cultivating as a new leader.

He more or less kept his calm before the Sanhedrin, before Herod and before Pilate. He kept his cool even during the carrying of the cross and when he spoke to the thief. He was also in horrific agony, and he was doing it to save people who were inflicting legendary brutality on him while he was doing it.

I think if say, my wife and children handed me over to be killed, the sorrow alone might kill me.