was just doing a search on round bales

ncsufan

And found you guys. I'm a guy near Charlotte N.C. that has been researching feeding round bales to horses for a long time. Our N.C. Horse News board has a big thread about a teen whose horse died this week because his halter was caught on a hay ring and he flipped backwards with it and suffered a neck injury evidently. Would you tell me of any injuries you are aware of ? And I saw a post about the O'Neil Feeder, I would like to hear more about it. The inventor cited my original feeder design in his patent as prior art. ( I am not selling feeders right now , I am between manufacturers ). Have any of you heard of the hay tunnel ? Hi from N.C.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
ncsufan said:
And found you guys. I'm a guy near Charlotte N.C. that has been researching feeding round bales to horses for a long time. Our N.C. Horse News board has a big thread about a teen whose horse died this week because his halter was caught on a hay ring and he flipped backwards with it and suffered a neck injury evidently. Would you tell me of any injuries you are aware of ? And I saw a post about the O'Neil Feeder, I would like to hear more about it. The inventor cited my original feeder design in his patent as prior art. ( I am not selling feeders right now , I am between manufacturers ). Have any of you heard of the hay tunnel ? Hi from N.C.

Just this year we started using round bales. I purchased 2 of the open top horse feeders from our local amish farm supplier. I wish that I could send you a pic, but for some reason I have not been able to post pics yet.
There is no way that a horse halter could get caught IMO on these feeders. As long as there is no damage to the feeder there are no edges to catch a halter. I check the feeder every two days when I put in a fresh bale to make sure that the sections are still tight together also.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
So far, in my experience, if there is anything to catch a hoof or part of a halter on there is a chance of something (albiet small) happening. At the horse expo this year there is a feeder made completely of a rubberized type plastic about 2 inches thick completely solid 2ft high. Only holes are small hand holes used for moving it. Has small shaped feet part of the wall in four or five places to stablize it and light enough for one person to pick it up and move it. I couldn't see anyway any horse could possibly get hurt. Only would not be practical for small ponies who might not be able to reach the bottom of a round bale. If I was puchasing some more those would be the ones I'd buy. Can't remember the manufacturer though, darn it!

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
HorseLady said:
So far, in my experience, if there is anything to catch a hoof or part of a halter on there is a chance of something (albiet small) happening. At the horse expo this year there is a feeder made completely of a rubberized type plastic about 2 inches thick completely solid 2ft high. Only holes are small hand holes used for moving it. Has small shaped feet part of the wall in four or five places to stablize it and light enough for one person to pick it up and move it. I couldn't see anyway any horse could possibly get hurt. Only would not be practical for small ponies who might not be able to reach the bottom of a round bale. If I was puchasing some more those would be the ones I'd buy. Can't remember the manufacturer though, darn it!

There's no need to attack the roundbale feeder here since a halter can get caught on a miriad of things when a horse is out in the field, which is exactly why halters shouldn't be left on a horse when it is out in the field. Unless, of course, there is a leather breakaway strap and then the problem is solved. :howdy:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Unbelievable said:
There's no need to attack the roundbale feeder here since a halter can get caught on a miriad of things when a horse is out in the field, which is exactly why halters shouldn't be left on a horse when it is out in the field. Unless, of course, there is a leather breakaway strap and then the problem is solved. :howdy:

very good point Unbelievable...and EVERY horse on this property has either NO halter on or a BREAK-AWAY halter on.

:doh: why didnt I say that in my earlier post?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
persimmoncf said:
Hey Happyappy...tell him about your Oneil feeders. Isnt that what they are called?

Ed oniel has a website but i can't put my hands on it right now. he also makes the plastic ones you are referring too. this can also be installed on a 4x4 post and as low to the ground as necessary. We have 3.

Attachments

• oniel feeder.jpg
    oniel feeder.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 118

drafthorsemd

Horses find ways to get caught on anything. I had a horse manage to bend a metal chew-gard (metal plate covering top of a dutch door). He didn't get hurt at all, but it wasn't fun to see damage to an almost-new barn. Horses always find some way to get into things you didn't know existed. :lmao:

I will say for turnout, horses generally should have breakaway halters. A horse can get caught on anything - branch, fencing, whatever. I personally don't put halters on most of mine. An alternative is to put a broodmare collar (thin leather strap, breakaway, with farm nameplate) for somethign to help you catch the horse or if he escapes.

There are plastic roundbale rings you can get which have nothing a halter can get hooked on. They were on display at the recent MD horse EXPO. I've seen them in use. They're OK but they'll bend/crumple a bit when the hay gets low and the horses lean on them to get to the crumbs.