Washington NFL team to retire racial slur name and replace it.

Crabcatcher79

“On July 3rd, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team’s name. That review has begun in earnest. As part of this process, we want to keep our sponsors, fans and community apprised of our thinking as we go forward.

“Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

“Dan Snyder and Coach Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years.”

itsbob

I bowl overhand
“On July 3rd, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team’s name. That review has begun in earnest. As part of this process, we want to keep our sponsors, fans and community apprised of our thinking as we go forward.

“Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

“Dan Snyder and Coach Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years.”

Figures you'd join in the narrative.. of the "Racial Slur Name".. another idiot that sees racism EVERYwhere.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Figures you'd join in the narrative.. of the "Racial Slur Name".. another idiot that sees racism EVERYwhere.
Yet surprisingly, he can never see it where it's most clear.

His bathroom mirror.

Crabcatcher79

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Until a new name is announced, they will be called the football team formerly know as the Redskins.

Rommey

I wonder if the NFL considers this name change as "extenuating circumstances"...
Per NFL Constitution and Bylaws:
(1) Absent specific extenuating circumstances as determined by the Commissioner, if a club desires to make any changes in club colors, uniform appearance, designs of team helmets, designs of team uniforms, trademarks, or trade names, it must give written notice and details thereof to the League on or before March 1 of the year prior to the year in which it wishes to change; must comply with the uniform change notification and approval timeline as established by the League office and amended from time to time, the current timeline being attached hereto; and further must obtain approval from the League pursuant to the Section 19.9(D)(2) herein by December 1 of the year prior to the year in which it wishes to change; otherwise it shall have no right to make any change for the succeeding season.

Since they haven't given written notice prior to March 1, 2020, it appears this notice would meet the March 1, 2021 date. Therefore, they wouldn't be able to change the name until the 2023 season.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wokism Erases Native American Who Designed the Redskins Logo, and the Real Lady A

But it will hurt the family of the man — who was Native American — who designed the team’s logo in 1971.

It was designed by Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel to depict a member of the Blackfeet tribe.
Wetzel grew up on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana and was eventually elected president of the National Congress of American Indians in Washington, D.C.
He was instrumental in the Redskins franchise logo change from an “R” to the current depiction of a Native American.
According to Wetzel’s son, Lance, the logo is not offensive, but rather evokes a sense of pride.
“Everyone was pretty upset (about the change),” Lance Wetzel said. “Everyone understood the name change we were all on board with that. Once they weren’t going to use the logo, it was hard. It takes away from the Native Americans. When I see that logo, I take pride in it. You look at the depiction of the Redskins logo and it’s of a true Native American. I always felt it was representing my people. That’s not gone.”
It will be gone. Whatever name the team takes, you can bet it will have nothing to do with Native American or any other heritage. Not when there are calls to cancel the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the Texas Rangers (the baseball team name, not the law enforcement agency they’re named after).

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
There ya go... Name them Blackfeet.

Then it could be generic enough to apply to the indians, the black sports figures or the white ones with really bad foot fungus.

SamSpade

Since they haven't given written notice prior to March 1, 2020, it appears this notice would meet the March 1, 2021 date. Therefore, they wouldn't be able to change the name until the 2023 season.

When the left is pushing an issue, laws are little things. They're fond of saying no one is above the law, but they constantly flout the law if it suits them.

If there's a change, they will completely ignore this or find some way to skirt it.

Clem72

When the left is pushing an issue, laws are little things. They're fond of saying no one is above the law, but they constantly flout the law if it suits them.

If there's a change, they will completely ignore this or find some way to skirt it.

What law? Is there a law in DC about changing football team names? Or did you maybe mean NFL regulation?

SamSpade

What law? Is there a law in DC about changing football team names? Or did you maybe mean NFL regulation?
I did obviously READ the post I replied to.

You will note of course, that I did not refer to "law" with respect to the NFL.
THAT was in reference to the left, with regard to law that THEY claim to observe, but flout at will.
I wrote it to illustrate that such impediments are meaningless to people who don't care about laws at all.

But it is the left driving this issue - if there is an NFL regulation, they will utterly dismiss it - because while they are all about such things when it suits them, they're always of the opinion that their position stands above such petty things - laws - regulations - bylaws - the CONSTITUTION - they dismiss all of it if their opinion disagrees.

WingsOfGold

So if they move the Landovers back to the shithole of DC or Virginia what will they do with the abomination near the now gone Cap Center and defunct Mall? Why does everything in that area turn to shiit? Shitty residence or residents?

Last edited: