Governor Watch: Governor Hogan Joins Meet The Press and NBC4 Washington to Discuss Maryland’s Coronavirus Response

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
“We’re Going To Do Everything We Can To Keep The People Safe.”

ANNAPOLIS, MD—This morning, Governor Hogan appeared on NBC’s “Meet the Press” and NBC4 Washington to discuss Maryland’s ongoing coordinated response to COVID-19, the novel coronavirus. To date, Maryland has 52 negative tests and three positive cases. Last night, Maryland officials reported potential COVID-19 exposure risk at the Conservative Political Action Conference in National Harbor.

Excerpts: Meet the Press

“We’re lucky in that we have some of the best health operations in the world located in our state, right here surrounding the nation’s capital. At this point in time, we have the necessary resources. I think we’re about to double the number of test kits we have, but this is obviously an issue that Dr. Fauci talked about, that we have been hearing a lot about. Ramping this up as this crisis escalates is a concern, I think, among all of the governors.”

“So the governors are really on the front lines. Look, I think there’s been pretty good cooperation at the federal, state, and local level, but this thing is escalating so rapidly. Information is changing not only on a daily basis, but almost on an hourly basis. I’m the chair of the National Governors Association. We just had all of the governors here in Washington a couple weeks ago, Dr. Fauci, the head of the CDC, and a number of other experts came to brief us on the virus. We’ve been working on this for several weeks.

“I think it was a really smart move for the president to elevate Vice President Pence to work across all the different agencies and to coordinate. He’s a former governor, he knows the governors are on the front lines, and he is, I think, doing a good job of coordinating everybody and communicating with us, and I think that’s the way the messaging ought to go.”

Excerpts: NBC4 Washington

“The best way to put it is that we’re hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Because of the exposures, and things are happening so rapidly that we expect that potentially there will be more cases. We’ve now tested 52 people. Luckily we’ve only had three positive tests. The rest of them up to this point are negative. But we do tests every single day. We’ll have more results later this afternoon.”

“Our state health department team has been working seamlessly with the local health departments, our emergency management teams are engaged with all the local folks and with the federal level, and we declared a state of emergency and we’re staying on top of it as best we can. We’re trying to make people—they should remain calm but stay informed. Watch your news program. Keep up to date on the latest information, and we’re going to do everything we can to keep the people safe.”

-###-