Watching football on TV

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
11 exciting minutes of action per game.

average-tv-broadcast-of-american-football.png

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What's the point, here? That 11 minutes isn't 'enough' or not 'proper'? These football is 'only these few minutes per game of 'actual' action' complaints always fascinates me because it posits that it's not enough action for the total time a game takes.

Well, let's look around. How about, say, baseball? Is there 11 minutes of action in a baseball season? A pitcher can strike out the side and he and the catcher are the only ones that do ANYTHING on the field for an entire inning. Or more.

Basketball? Lots of action. Until the last few minutes of a game where, after the majority of the game flowing along rather nicely, every possession suddenly requires yet another foul and another time out, turning the last minute of action into 15-20 minute exercise in setting up the next 24-30 second segment of action.

Hockey? Lotta action there, too with none of the parades of play stoppages of basketball.

How about soccer? No one stops moving there. 90 non stop minutes of chest pounding...running around...punctuated by the occasional thrill of players milling about setting up a corner kick.

Football was, from it's inception, simulated war with out the killing even though it used to be common enough to not be a shock that someone would die from crashing, full speed, unprotected, into someone else. Like war, football is all about on going planning, getting your forces arrayed just so, looking for weakness to exploit, areas that need shoring up, extra protection, timing, tactics. And, like war, it is also about logistics and preparation. Practicing, or, drilling, so that when the game is on, the team performs better. Like war, it is about specialties, combined arms, grunts doing much of the hard work so that someone else can waltz in a claim the glory.

War is endless preparation and drill and alignment and repositioning for those few seconds or moments of action. Even within battles, like the game, their are pauses. Re load. Call up reinforcements. Rotate in fresh troops while others go to the rear for a break only to suddenly be called back in an emergency.

While it may be true that there is little actual play action in those 4 quarters, there is virtually no sitting around, except for reserve forces, by anyone. Everyone else is always doing something, communicating, positioning, urgently getting set for the next skirmish in an effort to win the battle.

Football is non stop tension.

Baseball, slowly, works up to the occasional tense moment. When you play 162 games to try and see who is better, hey, no need to get all worked up. We'll call it best of 7 after that!

Hockey is non stop build up and release of tension. Only half as many games are required, a mere 82, to get to a playoff system where...half the teams qualify. For four rounds of best of 7.

Basketball two games in one; what goes on for 95% of the game and then that last few minutes. Same thing. 82 games of establishing which half of the league really stinks. So the others can then REALLY see who is best...of 7...

Soccer is...soccer...so 'exciting' it takes the world a full four years before very many people care enough to go through that again.

In a 16 game season, every game matters. When the betters rise to the top, it's all single elimination to the end. That 11 minutes of action, with the implication that nothing else much is going on the rest of a game, become awfully urgent.

Each sport has it's own beauty. If someone thinks 11 minutes means the rest is empty time, they're not paying much attention. If truly non stop competition is what one craves, full action value for your time invested, marathons are absolutely, positively non stop 100%....action. No chance for a potty break or grab a beer or more popcorn there. Might miss something.

:lol:

Monello

PREMO Member
What's the point, here?

The point is that during the 2 1/2 hours a football game is on TV, very little of it is actually the game. The rest is fluff, if you will.

When I lived in Europe they use to show taped NFL games on TV Tuesday night. Once a player was tackled, the next thing you saw was the team lined up for the next snap. They cut out all the huddles and what not. So even though I already knew the score, I could watch the entire game in 30 minutes.

Chris0nllyn

The point is that during the 2 1/2 hours a football game is on TV, very little of it is actually the game. The rest is fluff, if you will.

When I lived in Europe they use to show taped NFL games on TV Tuesday night. Once a player was tackled, the next thing you saw was the team lined up for the next snap. They cut out all the huddles and what not. So even though I already knew the score, I could watch the entire game in 30 minutes.

They do that here also. NFL Game Rewind, and even the re-runs on NFL Network.

Ever been to a game at a stadium? How much of that was actual game? How much of non-game play should be shown on TV?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Un-American.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Try NFL Red Zone. It's football on crack. Non stop moving from game to game, where ever the best action is.

What's the point, here? That 11 minutes isn't 'enough' or not 'proper'? These football is 'only these few minutes per game of 'actual' action' complaints always fascinates me because it posits that it's not enough action for the total time a game takes.

Well, let's look around. How about, say, baseball? Is there 11 minutes of action in a baseball season? A pitcher can strike out the side and he and the catcher are the only ones that do ANYTHING on the field for an entire inning. Or more.

Basketball? Lots of action. Until the last few minutes of a game where, after the majority of the game flowing along rather nicely, every possession suddenly requires yet another foul and another time out, turning the last minute of action into 15-20 minute exercise in setting up the next 24-30 second segment of action.

Hockey? Lotta action there, too with none of the parades of play stoppages of basketball.

How about soccer? No one stops moving there. 90 non stop minutes of chest pounding...running around...punctuated by the occasional thrill of players milling about setting up a corner kick.

Football was, from it's inception, simulated war with out the killing even though it used to be common enough to not be a shock that someone would die from crashing, full speed, unprotected, into someone else. Like war, football is all about on going planning, getting your forces arrayed just so, looking for weakness to exploit, areas that need shoring up, extra protection, timing, tactics. And, like war, it is also about logistics and preparation. Practicing, or, drilling, so that when the game is on, the team performs better. Like war, it is about specialties, combined arms, grunts doing much of the hard work so that someone else can waltz in a claim the glory.

War is endless preparation and drill and alignment and repositioning for those few seconds or moments of action. Even within battles, like the game, their are pauses. Re load. Call up reinforcements. Rotate in fresh troops while others go to the rear for a break only to suddenly be called back in an emergency.

While it may be true that there is little actual play action in those 4 quarters, there is virtually no sitting around, except for reserve forces, by anyone. Everyone else is always doing something, communicating, positioning, urgently getting set for the next skirmish in an effort to win the battle.

Football is non stop tension.

Baseball, slowly, works up to the occasional tense moment. When you play 162 games to try and see who is better, hey, no need to get all worked up. We'll call it best of 7 after that!

Hockey is non stop build up and release of tension. Only half as many games are required, a mere 82, to get to a playoff system where...half the teams qualify. For four rounds of best of 7.

Basketball two games in one; what goes on for 95% of the game and then that last few minutes. Same thing. 82 games of establishing which half of the league really stinks. So the others can then REALLY see who is best...of 7...

Soccer is...soccer...so 'exciting' it takes the world a full four years before very many people care enough to go through that again.

In a 16 game season, every game matters. When the betters rise to the top, it's all single elimination to the end. That 11 minutes of action, with the implication that nothing else much is going on the rest of a game, become awfully urgent.

Each sport has it's own beauty. If someone thinks 11 minutes means the rest is empty time, they're not paying much attention. If truly non stop competition is what one craves, full action value for your time invested, marathons are absolutely, positively non stop 100%....action. No chance for a potty break or grab a beer or more popcorn there. Might miss something.

:lol:

Don't forget rugby and lacrosse.

Monello

PREMO Member
A football game is 60 min of playing time... So they are saying only 11 of that is exciting.. ????

On average of the 60 total minutes only 11 is actual live action. The rest of the time is the clock running without any action. Huddles and getting ready to snap the ball.