Water Bill

Just got my water bill. I usually just glance at it, and write the check. Tonight I really looked at it.

$25.46. By all accounts, not bad. That is, until you REALLY look at it. I used 1073 gallons of water. The cost for that was $1.64. A dollar and sixty four cents. The rest of the bill, $23.82, is fees. $10.37 for system improvement. $5 for Bay Restoration. $8.66 for Ready to Serve. What the hell is Ready to Serve??

Ok, just ranting. I'm done now.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Just got my water bill. I usually just glance at it, and write the check. Tonight I really looked at it.

$25.46. By all accounts, not bad. That is, until you REALLY look at it. I used 1073 gallons of water. The cost for that was $1.64. A dollar and sixty four cents. The rest of the bill, $23.82, is fees. $10.37 for system improvement. $5 for Bay Restoration. $8.66 for Ready to Serve. What the hell is Ready to Serve??

Yep... My house phone bill got that way also which is why I got rid of it and since it took a couple of thread to finally make me get rid of it, I remember mentioning the stupid fee infested water bill also.

You know... we pay state, federal and county taxes and get taxed to death on everything we use. Somebody here once said we should have a consume tax, but we kind of already do.

imaref

I was taught growing up to never hate anyone, but boy do I hate METCOM. Water/Sewer bill this month is $78 (water/sewer usage 4182 gallons). Wish the county would take them over, fire everybody and start from scratch. Who the hell takes out system improvement loans and doesn't even use the money? Paying interest on money that's not being used, and we suckers get to pay for it. They should be ashamed.

You always know it's July when the water/sewer bills go up...I'm off of my soapbox now...

NIU_Huskies

Why is there a $5 Bay Restoration fee on the water bill when Charles county residents already pay a bay fee in the form of Watershed Protection Restoration Program fee that is paid on annual property tax bills?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Why is there a $5 Bay Restoration fee on the water bill when Charles county residents already pay a bay fee in the form of Watershed Protection Restoration Program fee that is paid on annual property tax bills?

The way the Restoration fee collection is set up will vary. Those with central water and/or sewer pay it on that bill. Those with septics pay it on their property tax bill.

tommyjo

Amazing....

25.46 / 1073 = $0.0237. So you paid less than 3 pennies per gallon. And you are still bitching?

The water is pumped out of the ground, filtered, and then fed thru pumping station to taps inside your house. For all this you paid 3 pennies per gallon...and you are b!tching??

How many bottles of water did you buy from WaWa or Safeway last month? What did you pay per 16 oz bottle?

If you hate it so much, if 3 pennies per gallon is just TOO much for your budget...dig a damn well and put a hand pump on it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Amazing....

25.46 / 1073 = $0.0237. So you paid less than 3 pennies per gallon. And you are still bitching?

The water is pumped out of the ground, filtered, and then fed thru pumping station to taps inside your house. For all this you paid 3 pennies per gallon...and you are b!tching??

How many bottles of water did you buy from WaWa or Safeway last month? What did you pay per 16 oz bottle?

If you hate it so much, if 3 pennies per gallon is just TOO much for your budget...dig a damn well and put a hand pump on it.

Golly gee, GW.....have you been spanked, or what? :elaine:

I'll bring a couple shovels and come on over to give you a hand with that hole...

Golly gee, GW.....have you been spanked, or what? :elaine:

I'll bring a couple shovels and come on over to give you a hand with that hole...

I feel so bad that I made those comments. Glad I was set straight. I plan on making amends to METCOM.

I appreciate the help digging. What do you figure... about 3' x 8', 6 foot deep?

NIU_Huskies

The way the Restoration fee collection is set up will vary. Those with central water and/or sewer pay it on that bill. Those with septics pay it on their property tax bill.

Hmm, I pay it on my county water bill and in my annual property tax bill. So I guess I get hit twice. Wonder how they determined that only 10 of the 20+ Maryland counties would pay that restoration fee. None of those other counties have public water and sewer systems?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Hmm, I pay it on my county water bill and in my annual property tax bill. So I guess I get hit twice. Wonder how they determined that only 10 of the 20+ Maryland counties would pay that restoration fee. None of those other counties have public water and sewer systems?

It's levied in every County. Garrett County and Ocean City pay the old rate ($30/year) since they're not in the Bay watershed. I don't know why you're getting billed twice unless what's on your bill is something different.

The official name is Bay Restoration Fund Fee (http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Busi...and_Surcharges/Bay_Restoration_Fund_Fee.shtml)

I'll bet this is what you're paying on one of them (likely your property tax since the Bay fee is linked to sewer/septic): https://www.charlescountymd.gov/pgm...n-fee-credit-appeal-and-hardship-applications

It is commonly known as the Rain Tax, and no, Hogan didn't get rid of it since it's a Federally mandated fee. All he did was kick it back to the Counties to decide how to collect it. O'Malley's version mandated the method and amount of collections for 9 specific Counties while the rest were on their own.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I feel so bad that I made those comments. Glad I was set straight. I plan on making amends to METCOM.

I appreciate the help digging. What do you figure... about 3' x 8', 6 foot deep?

Sounds about right...although rumor has it that TJ is one of them living dead things...might want to go at least 8' deep.

PeoplesElbow

Amazing....

If they just needed to charge 3 cents more per gallon then that is what they should have done. Its no different than those BS resort fees hotels tack on so they can advertise a cheaper price.

NIU_Huskies

It's levied in every County. Garrett County and Ocean City pay the old rate ($30/year) since they're not in the Bay watershed. I don't know why you're getting billed twice unless what's on your bill is something different.

The official name is Bay Restoration Fund Fee (http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Busi...and_Surcharges/Bay_Restoration_Fund_Fee.shtml)

I'll bet this is what you're paying on one of them (likely your property tax since the Bay fee is linked to sewer/septic): https://www.charlescountymd.gov/pgm...n-fee-credit-appeal-and-hardship-applications

It is commonly known as the Rain Tax, and no, Hogan didn't get rid of it since it's a Federally mandated fee. All he did was kick it back to the Counties to decide how to collect it. O'Malley's version mandated the method and amount of collections for 9 specific Counties while the rest were on their own.

Yeah, they called both fees slightly different names but they both seem to serve the same purpose of helping to clean and restore the bay, or at least that's how both are justified.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yeah, they called both fees slightly different names but they both seem to serve the same purpose of helping to clean and restore the bay, or at least that's how both are justified.

The original one was for sewage and, later, septic system upgrades. The second one is tied into the Watershed Improvement Program (WIP) and deals with stormwater. More states than just Maryland are getting hot for that.

Everyone thought the sewage upgrades were expensive (and they are for Enhanced Nutrient Removal {ENR}) but the numbers for stormwater are truly mind-boggling, $2Billion just for Calvert County over 20 years. That's exclusive of the two Towns which, between them, will add another likely $80Million.

officeguy

Everyone thought the sewage upgrades were expensive (and they are for Enhanced Nutrient Removal {ENR}) but the numbers for stormwater are truly mind-boggling, $2Billion just for Calvert County over 20 years. That's exclusive of the two Towns which, between them, will add another likely $80Million.

And all we get for the 2bil are piles of rip-rap in the highway median and drywell riser pipes that get shredded to pieces by the drones SHA hires to operate the mowing tractors.

Dukesdad

Why not call and ask to meet with someone and ask your questions? 301.734.7400