Water Mocasssins around here?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, went kayaking with the daughter yesterday, launched out of St Inigoes. As we were walking down the ramp, a man and his wife and kids were going out onto the side of the launch. He had a pellet gun, said he had shot a water moccasin, but failed to kill it and he was still looking for it. As we pulled out, saw a small snake head, maybe the size of a mans finger, same diameter as the snakes body, peering out of a hole in the ramps side. Made me wonder, was he just an idiot who cant tell what a venomous snake looks like? What's the prevalence of water moccasins around here?

Midnightrider

So, went kayaking with the daughter yesterday, launched out of St Inigoes. As we were walking down the ramp, a man and his wife and kids were going out onto the side of the launch. He had a pellet gun, said he had shot a water moccasin, but failed to kill it and he was still looking for it. As we pulled out, saw a small snake head, maybe the size of a mans finger, same diameter as the snakes body, peering out of a hole in the ramps side. Made me wonder, was he just an idiot who cant tell what a venomous snake looks like? What's the prevalence of water moccasins around here?

almost nonexistent. I haven't seen one in 45 years on the water. You do see plenty of snakes in the water, but not mocassins.

Brucebwb

We don't have Water Moccasins in Maryland but we do have the Northern Water Snake which in a quick glance can look like a Moccasin. The Northern Water Snake is not venomous but does love to strike lol