Water, Sewer, Trash Bill, Leonardtown

luvmygdaughters

I opened our bill from Leonardtown and went :faint:, Oh Hell No!!! We usually pay approximately $170.00, this bill was for $244.00! I've never had a bill that large before, has anyone else gotten their bill and saw an increase? I dont remember receiving a notice about an increase in sewer, trash or water, did I miss something?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
First thing you do is get your last bill and check for usage. If the new bill's usage is higher then you have your answer. You could have used more water watering your lawn, washing cars or clothes or you could have a leak somewhere. Now, you could have a bad meter but they're designed to fail in the customer's favor.

If your usage is the same then there has been an increase in rates, which would have been adopted back in June when the new budget was adopted.

As much as I hate to say it but higher water and sewer rates are going to be a fact of life going forward. Chemical prices for initial and finishing treatment of both have gone up, equipment costs for replacement have gone up (although that's usually considered a capital expense and paid for out of a different pile of money and not operating revenues).

What you also have in play are the massively increased costs, which are applied to both new equipment and treatment processes and chemical use, for sewage treatment to meet the new discharge requirements imposed by the EPA. These are sometimes called ENR (Enhanced Nutrient Removal) and TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load).

Landfill fees went up all over SoMD the last couple years.

Chris0nllyn

Move to Calvert, you'll be bending over everytime you get a water bill.

I think Calvert is cheaper than Leonardtown. Calvert charges per 1,000 gal. L-Town is a minimum up to 10,000 gal + a surcharge after 10,000 gal. Both bill quarterly.

Calvert is $2.74/1,000 gal. or $27.40 for $10,000 gal.

L-Town is $30.60 per quarter up to 10,000 gal.

Using 10,000 gal as an example, Calvert is cheaper. Especially if you don't use much water or don't live their full time.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

First thing you do is get your last bill and check for usage. If the new bill's usage is higher then you have your answer. You could have used more water watering your lawn, washing cars or clothes or you could have a leak somewhere. Now, you could have a bad meter but they're designed to fail in the customer's favor.

If your usage is the same then there has been an increase in rates, which would have been adopted back in June when the new budget was adopted.

As much as I hate to say it but higher water and sewer rates are going to be a fact of life going forward. Chemical prices for initial and finishing treatment of both have gone up, equipment costs for replacement have gone up (although that's usually considered a capital expense and paid for out of a different pile of money and not operating revenues).

What you also have in play are the massively increased costs, which are applied to both new equipment and treatment processes and chemical use, for sewage treatment to meet the new discharge requirements imposed by the EPA. These are sometimes called ENR (Enhanced Nutrient Removal) and TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load).

Landfill fees went up all over SoMD the last couple years.
Well, according to my last bill, our usage was 19150, the current usage is 36040. We have not filled any pools, watered any grass, have anyone additional using our water. In fact, we were on vacation in September for a week. The rates have increased for water, sewer and trash. Last quarter the water rate was 38.25 it increased to 48.45, last quarter sewer rate was 88.05, it increased to 115.13, trash pick up 56.63 last quarter, 66.18 this quarter. Almost $50.00 increase. It was just a shock to the system to see that much of an increase.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, according to my last bill, our usage was 19150, the current usage is 36040. We have not filled any pools, watered any grass, have anyone additional using our water. In fact, we were on vacation in September for a week. The rates have increased for water, sewer and trash. Last quarter the water rate was 38.25 it increased to 48.45, last quarter sewer rate was 88.05, it increased to 115.13, trash pick up 56.63 last quarter, 66.18 this quarter. Almost $50.00 increase. It was just a shock to the system to see that much of an increase.
So your usage AND your rate went up.