Waysons Corner + Crabbing=?

N

newbieresident

I've been reading and searching the internet and wondering if anyone has done any crabbing at Waysons. While fishing with my kids, we came across a male crab...perhaps 2.

Crabbing any good at Waysons? If so, what time of the day is good?

RPMDAD

Have never crabbed up there, have done a lot of fishing there. Early spring yellow perch, later spring white perch. Have dropped in a canoe and been up and down that part of the river. Dead summer doldrums have caught catfish. Have never seen anyone crab up there, you may be onto something. Think it would be better in drought like conditions, with too much rain, that may decrease them. All in all i don't think it would be a hot spot.

Chris0nllyn

I think during low tide, the pier doesn't stick too far into the water, which could make it a bit difficult.

Just be careful of all the people that tend to be there on the weekends.

N

newbieresident

Thanks for the info guys.

We saw the crab (or two) while fishing on the rocks directly underneath the bridge (to the left of the pier). We went during the week day and where the only ones there for several hours.

The more I read and research Waysons, I'm hearing that place can be pretty busy. That's a bummer as I don't like to be around a bunch of anglers (not to sound snooty or anything). Just me and the kids and our thoughts. I thought I was on to a good spot. Danggonit! :)

Any other crabbing spots in that northern calvert area (besides north beach)?

Chris0nllyn

We saw the crab (or two) while fishing on the rocks directly underneath the bridge (to the left of the pier). We went during the week day and where the only ones there for several hours.

The more I read and research Waysons, I'm hearing that place can be pretty busy. That's a bummer as I don't like to be around a bunch of anglers (not to sound snooty or anything). Just me and the kids and our thoughts. I thought I was on to a good spot. Danggonit! :)

Try Kings Landing Park?

They have a large pier.

DougieMom

Breezy Point Park & campground is nice. You can crab and fish. It closes at dusk, and i think closes for the winter end of Oct or Nov.

DougieMom

Fyi, if you ever do decide to crab at North Beach, you can only crab from the 'T' end of the pier, so it makes it a bit harder. I've never had much luck crabbing there, even when dropping traps. They sure do eat your bait off though when you fish.