WDBJ reporter, cameraman shot and killed during live report

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
WTF??? I have lots of family and friends in that area...that's just not the kind of thing that happens there.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
WTF??? I have lots of family and friends in that area...that's just not the kind of thing that happens there.

It does now, as it will anywhere. We are a screwed up mess of people. This is definitely workplace violence, with perhaps a twist of terrorism or love lost thrown in.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Youtube has video of the shooting - just screaming from the reporterette as she falls off the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mERfG6PQGCo

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Curious why someone would shoot them. Just for the notoriety of shooting someone on live video? That's the only thing I can think of.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Curious why someone would shoot them. Just for the notoriety of shooting someone on live video? That's the only thing I can think of.

we'll find out, for sure. The press will not let this one lie down and die. A tragedy, absolutely for sure, but no more of a tragedy then the senseless murder of anyone else that is not in the media.

Chris0nllyn

Work love triangle?

It was at a waterpark, not the hood. Plus not only the woman, but the cameraman too? Weird and sad.

glhs837

Power with Control

Since the shooter apparently did not shoot the person being interviewed and from the vid looks like they had to chase down the reporter, I'm guessing it was a personal thing. If it was the live video thing, why not start with the reporter in front of the camera? From the vid, the first shot was the cameraman. Watching without sound, the reporter hears the shot, and she and the interviewee scramble away as the cameraman starts to fall.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Work love triangle?

It was at a waterpark, not the hood. Plus not only the woman, but the cameraman too? Weird and sad.

From WDBJ's Chris Hurst:
We didn't share this publicly, but Alison Parker and I were very much in love. We just moved in together. I am numb. We were together almost nine months. It was the best nine months of our lives. We wanted to get married. We just celebrated her 24th birthday. She was the most radiant woman I ever met. And for some reason she loved me back. She loved her family, her parents and her brother. I am comforted by everyone at WDBJ7. We are a family. She worked with Adam every day. They were a team. I am heartbroken for his fiancee. She is our morning show producer. This is unconscionable. But I WILL share her story because it is one full of life, dreams, love and amazing journalism. She just finished working on an incredible special on child abuse and it was fantastic. We will get through this and there will be justice. Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to me.

https://www.facebook.com/chrishurstwdbj/posts/965685470121385

Hank

my war
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe says Moneta, Va. suspected shooter is a disgruntled former employee of WDBJ. Police are currently in pursuit

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe says Moneta, Va. suspected shooter is a disgruntled former employee of WDBJ. Police are currently in pursuit

Ahhh...that makes sense.

But why shoot the reporter and cameraman, unless it was them who took away the shooter's grunt? If you hate your job and are a mental case, you'd think you'd shoot up the boss, not the employees.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
From WDBJ's Chris Hurst:
We didn't share this publicly, but Alison Parker and I were very much in love. We just moved in together. I am numb. We were together almost nine months. It was the best nine months of our lives. We wanted to get married. We just celebrated her 24th birthday. She was the most radiant woman I ever met. And for some reason she loved me back. She loved her family, her parents and her brother. I am comforted by everyone at WDBJ7. We are a family. She worked with Adam every day. They were a team. I am heartbroken for his fiancee. She is our morning show producer. This is unconscionable. But I WILL share her story because it is one full of life, dreams, love and amazing journalism. She just finished working on an incredible special on child abuse and it was fantastic. We will get through this and there will be justice. Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to me.

https://www.facebook.com/chrishurstwdbj/posts/965685470121385

I don't know how anyone could write something like this so soon after their SO was murdered but I know… some people grieve differently. I just couldn’t have done that so it strikes me as being strange to do. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know how anyone could write something like this so soon after their SO was murdered but I know… some people grieve differently. I just couldn’t have done that so it strikes me as being strange to do. :ohwell:

Agree. If my loved one were killed, it's highly unlikely I'd be posting on my Facebook.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Ahhh...that makes sense.

But why shoot the reporter and cameraman, unless it was them who took away the shooter's grunt? If you hate your job and are a mental case, you'd think you'd shoot up the boss, not the employees.

Probably easier to shoot them out on location than show up at the building walking around looking for the boss.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Agree. If my loved one were killed, it's highly unlikely I'd be posting on my Facebook.

He is also tweeting like crazy about this and he started doing so within 30 minutes of her being murdered.... just way too soon. Is he going to run home and bag her clothes up and send them to charity by morning?

If I was her close relative, I'd be offended... hell, I'm not and somewhat offended by all that.

Thanks Dip for sharing the link, she was a beautiful girl. :ohwell:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Attention seeking?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Now it appears that the shooter was not a "former" employee....or at least not for very long.

So that explains why/how the shooter knew where that news crew was going to be filming a feature segment they were working on...local tourism piece apparently.