We’re Considering Jailing The President’s Allies If They Don’t Comply With Impeachment Inquiry

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Let me tell you, this is pretty — and this is the last caucus conversation we had. Do you know this is really unprecedented? This is the worst time we’ve ever had a situation like this,” Tlaib said then. “So they’re trying to figure out — no joke — they’re trying to figure out, ‘Well, is it the D.C. police that goes and gets them?’ No, no.”

“What are we hoping? I mean, I’m not in those kinds of conversations, but I’m asking, like, you know, what happens? And they’re like, ‘Well, Rashida, we’re trying to figure it out ourselves because this is uncharted territory,'” she continued. “No, I’m telling you that they’re trying to be like, ‘Well, where are we going to put them? Where are we going to hold them?’ No, I mean those are the kinds of things they’re trying to tread carefully.”

Other Democrats, aside from Tlaib, have expressed interest in jailing non-compliant witnesses. Rep. John Garamendi (D-CA) told CNN on Wednesday that he would like the House Sergent-at-Arms to “march” them to the “little jail” they have in the Capitol if they refuse to honor their subpoenas.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/rash...-if-they-dont-comply-with-impeachment-inquiry

Hijinx

This may have to go to the supreme court.
Can they subpoena you to appear for an illegal inquiry?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There is also a difference between a congressional subpoena and a civil subpoena issued by a court.
Reuters:

Congress’ power to issue subpoenas, while broad, is not unlimited. The high court has said Congress is not a law enforcement agency, and cannot investigate someone purely to expose wrongdoing or damaging information about them for political gain. A subpoena must potentially further some “legitimate legislative purpose,” the court has said.

What can Congress do to a government official who ignores one?
If lawmakers want to punish someone who ignores a congressional subpoena they typically first hold the offender “in contempt of Congress,” legal experts said.

Democrats want to skip the contempt process and go right to throwing executive branch employees not confirmed by the Senate in jail. Besides being unprecedented in modern congressional history, Democrats could be held in criminal contempt themselves.

It has been almost a century since Congress exercised this arrest-and-detain authority, and the practice is unlikely to make a comeback, legal experts said.

Alternatively, Congress can ask the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, a federal prosecutor, to bring criminal charges against a witness who refuses to appear. There is a criminal law that specifically prohibits flouting a congressional subpoena.
But this option is also unlikely to be pursued, at least when it comes to subpoenas against executive branch officials, given that federal prosecutors are part of the branch’s Justice Department.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/rep-tl...ling-white-house-aides-who-refuse-to-testify/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Top Democrat Rebuffs Rashida Tlaib’s Claim That Democrats May Arrest Trump Officials

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) clarified on Wednesday that Democrats are not planning on arresting the members of President Donald Trump’s administration who do not comply with congressional subpoenas, disproving a claim that freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) has been telling her constituents.

“We’ve made a judgment that we want the American people to understand that we are pursuing not arbitrary action, but considered and thoughtful action,” Hoyer told reporters, according to The Washington Examiner. And while he noted that imprisoning members of the White House “sounds appealing,” it is not an action that House Democrats will ultimately carry out.

“I don’t mean to say that inherent contempt is by definition arbitrary, [but] it may be perceived as arbitrary,” he continued, referring to the oldest of three strategies that Congress can use to enforce subpoenas.