We do love our Chickens!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
So many of the people with chickens have them as livestock as a source of food but some of us have them as PETS. Yes that's right pets. I do love my chickens and I would absolutely do exactly the same thing if a fox was chasing my chickens! If I remember correctly this was a local lady in Maryland. This video is hilarious.

Nude woman runs outside to save her chickens from a fox.
I have a friend in NH who keeps fancy breeds of chickens as pets, and also heritage breeds for eggs and meat.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have special breeds also and use the sales to help the rescue.

Attachments

• 20221115_151552.jpg
    20221115_151552.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20221115_151637.jpg
    20221115_151637.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20221115_151706.jpg
    20221115_151706.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 94

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
PS - how do I find buyers for the feathers? Advertise in the Classifieds?
To be brutally honest, collecting feathers for sale to fly tyers isn't really a very lucrative business venture. The suppliers I've bought from sell patches of feathers with some still attached to a patch of skin. I've never seen individual feathers offered. If you want to get an idea, look online at the offerings and compare pricing.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm happy to collect feathers to sell to help with the rescue expenses.
On the other had, if you gather some volunteer feathers that have a certain pattern or color that catches your eye, they make great earrings when paired with .925 settings. Maybe do a consignment with someone who has a storefront at a farmers market.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
On the other had, if you gather some volunteer feathers that have a certain pattern or color that catches your eye, they make great earrings when paired with .925 settings. Maybe do a consignment with someone who has a storefront at a farmers market.
I would need to learn how to do it (jewelry part) but that sounds like a grand idea! I even know a lady who is knowledgeable that might be able to guide me in making them.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
To be brutally honest, collecting feathers for sale to fly tyers isn't really a very lucrative business venture. The suppliers I've bought from sell patches of feathers with some still attached to a patch of skin. I've never seen individual feathers offered. If you want to get an idea, look online at the offerings and compare pricing.

oohhh you're right, I just looked online. Even Amazon is selling feathers 100 pieces for $7.99. I am not bending over 100 times to pick up feathers for even $10. I'll look into the jewelry aspect with regard to earrings. I am saving my Amazon parrot feathers to make a wreath similar to this one. The feather wreaths sell for a good amount but I will likely keep it as it will take years of feathers to make even a small one.

Attachments

• feather_wreath.jpg
    feather_wreath.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 86

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm still thinking about the story that Fox is telling his friends while knocking back a few in the Den.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
One of my niece-in-laws has a similar fancy chicken. Hers is more of an amber color.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The ones with the curly feathers (frizzle) need extra help to stay warm in Winter.
My nephew Greg built a coop for Ashley's fancy birds, which is weather tight and has a feather safe heating system.
They live in Worcester, MA.