We had a tornado in the resort

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:yikes:

Sounded like a freight train, scared the crap out of me. One of the RVs dumped over with the guy inside it - he's not hurt, just shook up. Several RVs were injured but no humans, thank goodness. The resort looks like a war zone.

I didn't get damage to my house or deck, but everything on the deck was upheaved and the storage shed is in pieces. I should have taken pics before I cleaned up a bit because it was really something. I consider myself lucky because the guy two doors down, his deck looks like it exploded. Completely destroyed. I'm not sure if he took any damage to the house.

I'm alternating between laughing it off and having a bit of PTSD. My first major Florida weather event, ya'll!

:faint:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Worst event we went through was Labor Day weekend 1985.
We were evacuated twice for hurricane Elena, which made a loop de loop in the Gulf before landing near Apalachicola.

Louise

Wow! Glad y’all are ok. Have only experienced tornadoes during hurricanes. During Hurricane Betsy in NOLA a tornado took the roof off of the houses on both sides of us, and jumped over our house.

Last edited:
Did you know it was coming or was it just Whammy! Where did you shelter in place? Bathroom? Did you have time to comprehend what was happening?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:yikes:

Sounded like a freight train, scared the crap out of me. One of the RVs dumped over with the guy inside it - he's not hurt, just shook up. Several RVs were injured but no humans, thank goodness. The resort looks like a war zone.

I didn't get damage to my house or deck, but everything on the deck was upheaved and the storage shed is in pieces. I should have taken pics before I cleaned up a bit because it was really something. I consider myself lucky because the guy two doors down, his deck looks like it exploded. Completely destroyed. I'm not sure if he took any damage to the house.

I'm alternating between laughing it off and having a bit of PTSD. My first major Florida weather event, ya'll!

:faint:

OMG :jameo: I was checking in on the forums to send you a PM and saw this.

Glad you're all ok!! :yikes:

**on the other hand - - - still looking forward to seeing y'all in 2 weeks!!! 😬 :love:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did you know it was coming or was it just Whammy! Where did you shelter in place? Bathroom? Did you have time to comprehend what was happening?

The alerts came over the phone but you learn that when they say "TAKE SHELTER NOW" 99% of the time it's just hypervigilance. "YOU TOO!" typically doesn't mean you, it means people two counties over 20 minutes ago. In short, you learn to ignore them.

I was in the resort clubhouse with everyone else, figuring it was just the usual tropical storm. Some people were freaking, others were calm and social, playing cards. The sky was dark, almost black, at the end of the park where the tornado came through (which we didn't know at the time). The pool is right off the clubhouse and our first "holy chit!" moment was when the pool furniture started flying around. Yet my bike, which was parked right there, never moved.

:crazy:

Anyway, I love my little house. My neighbor is climbing up on the roof today to make sure there are no problems, but my inspection shows it to be just fine. They say these park models are rated to withstand a CAT-something hurricane, but there's no real proof of that....until it happens.