We have had our first serious Tae Kwon Do injury

Pete

Repete
And many will be disappointed that it was not me, it was Boy. While sparring last night he forgot to keep his fists and wrists clenched and took a roundhouse kick that bent his hand under. It happened in the first round and the tough little bugger sparred 2 more rounds before telling anyone. I knew it hurt because he had a teeny tear welling up.

We iced it last night and it was swollen a little this morning. He can move his fingers and does still have some range of motion in the wrist so Dr. Pete has diagnosed a bad sprain. If the swelling does not go down by tomorrow we may go for a second opinion.

I got him a kid sized wrist brace and he is "special" now. He is very upset that he will more than likely miss his belt test Saturday. He has already been explaining how he can still do it with one arm. I especially like the "well I sparred 2 rounds last night with one arm and still beat the kid so I can do it again. :tearingupdad:

He is so cool :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You should take him to the doc and have it looked at. What if it's a hairline fracture? You might put him back in the ring too soon.

Pete

Repete
elaine said:
You should take him to the doc and have it looked at. What if it's a hairline fracture? You might put him back in the ring too soon.
We Pete men are tough. We only go to the doc if a bone is protruding or the duct tape and tree limb splint doesn't work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, sports injuries are cool. Much cooler than falling down the stairs or something like that.

I would definitely take him in for an x-ray just to be sure. Hugs to the little guy! :huggy:

fddog

Bow wow
Check cap refill in his fingers, Do this by pressing on a fingernail, if one takes longer to refill meaning turning red again take him to the doc

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
elaine said:

:yeahthat: better to sit out a bit now than a whole lot longer later....

if necessary, even...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
fddog said:
Check cap refill in his fingers, Do this by pressing on a fingernail, if one takes longer to refill meaning turning red again take him to the doc

CHECK BLOOD CIRCULATION Check the person's blood circulation. Press firmly over the skin beyond the fracture site. (For example, if the fracture is in the leg, press on the foot). It should first blanch white and then "pink up" in about two seconds. Other signs that circulation is inadequate include pale or blue skin, numbness or tingling, and loss of pulse... (aka - capillary refill)

Tina2001aniT

Pete said:
He is very upset that he will more than likely miss his belt test Saturday. He has already been explaining how he can still do it with one arm. I especially like the "well I sparred 2 rounds last night with one arm and still beat the kid so I can do it again. :tearingupdad:

He is so cool :yay:
It is so sad to see your kiddos get hurt doing something they love, I have been there twice, followed by x-ray trips both times for cheerleading injuries. But it is such a proud moment when the kiddo is explaining all the different ways that they can "get back into the game." That is when you truly know that your child is doing something THEY love. My kiddo tells her teammates all the time "suck it up" LOL

We had one little girl last year fall out of a build and break her arm at camp, she INSISTED on finishing the day, said she was fine it just hurt a little. After watching her for about five minutes and seeing her tear up everytime she moved her arm, we called her dad, she went out basically kicking and screaming and her arm was indeed BROKE. I love the dedication.....

Pete

Repete
He learned a valuable lesson. Limp wristed is not only unsightly and ghey it can get you hurt.

He will be fine. I checked the cap refill last night and this morning, and checked for a differential in temp between his hands and it was all good. He got his wrist tweeked is all, it will heal. "IF" it were a fracture it is not a displaced one and they would do the same thing I already have. Trust me I wont let mini me go back before he is 100%

Ponytail

Do what the pros do. Shoot him up with steroids before the test. He'll be fine. Then as he grows older, his limp wrists will match his tiny testicles. :roflmao:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
Do what the pros do. Shoot him up with steroids before the test. He'll be fine. Then as he grows older, his limp wrists will match his tiny testicles. :roflmao:
:twitch:

Ponytail

Maybe next week after his test. I wouldn't him to hurt himself again before the big test.

I should have the new bike by then too (If I get my truck back by the weekend :rolleyes: ). :wink:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
Maybe next week after his test. I wouldn't him to hurt himself again before the big test.

I should have the new bike by then too (If I get my truck back by the weekend :rolleyes: ). :wink:
OOO a new bike? Whacha gettin? whacha gettin?