We need to talk about FIFA World Cup

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's being held in Qatar this year and they have all kinds of discriminatory rules and BS. No prepared kosher foods, no gay PDAs, etc etc. Typical Muslim bullshit.

So why were they tapped to host the event again?

You'd think they wouldn't even be in the running, and yet here they are.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Everyone going to a world cup event should wear a rainbow flag shirt. They can't arrest everyone.

Where are all the lgbtq+- Karens on this topic? Where is their outrage? Is there a woman's world cup? I bet they won't hold that tournament in a muslim nation. They might ban lesbians from playing. Then the US team would only have about 3-4 players left.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
7402E326-3F54-4FDC-B1F3-E3E09137F45E.png

It's being held in Qatar this year and they have all kinds of discriminatory rules and BS. No prepared kosher foods, no gay PDAs, etc etc. Typical Muslim bullshit.

So why were they tapped to host the event again?

You'd think they wouldn't even be in the running, and yet here they are.
There seems to be a widely-held belief that corruption has been rife at the top of FIFA for a long time. This corruption supposedly includes the people on the committee which votes on World Cup bids taking effectively personal payouts in order to vote for particular nations to get the World Cup.

I recently watched a documentary about FIFA on Netflix. It wasn't particularly well done and I, of course, don't know which allegations made within it are true and which aren't. My gut tells me it's generally right about FIFA corruption, but I wasn't in the room so to speak so I have little idea just how pervasive it was.

As to your question in particular, the accusation is that Qatar effectively bought the World Cup by effectively making payments to respective voters or arranging business deals which benefited the nations that respective voters represented. The U.S. had, it's claimed, been the heavy favorite to get the 2022 World Cup. The accusation also seems to be that the people in charge took the unusual(?) step of awarding both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups at the same time, in 2010, because they might soon be out of power and they wanted to maximize how much payola they could collect while they still could.

I don't know to what extent those accusations have merit. I don't, however, find them hard to believe. And I would say this, when they interviewed some guy representing Qatar for the World Cup bid and put the accusations to him, his responses rang smarmy to me. He didn't lessen my inclination to believe the accusations.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There seems to be a widely-held belief that corruption has been rife at the top of FIFA for a long time. This corruption supposedly includes the people on the committee which votes on World Cup bids taking effectively personal payouts in order to vote for particular nations to get the World Cup.

I recently watched a documentary about FIFA on Netflix. It wasn't particularly well done and I, of course, don't know which allegations made within it are true and which aren't. My gut tells me it's generally right about FIFA corruption, but I wasn't in the room so to speak so I have little idea just how pervasive it was.

As to your question in particular, the accusation is that Qatar effectively bought the World Cup by effectively making payments to respective voters or arranging business deals which benefited the nations that respective voters represented. The U.S. had, it's claimed, been the heavy favorite to get the 2022 World Cup. The accusation also seems to be that the people in charge took the unusual(?) step of awarding both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups at the same time, in 2010, because they might soon be out of power and they wanted to maximize how much payola they could collect while they still could.

I don't know to what extent those accusations have merit. I don't, however, find them hard to believe. And I would say this, when they interviewed some guy representing Qatar for the World Cup bid and put the accusations to him, his responses rang smarmy to me. He didn't lessen my inclination to believe the accusations.

I must be slipping - usually I default to "corruption" when it comes to these things.

Thank you. Makes perfect sense now that you say it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oddly enough, a article on the Qatari royal family came through my feed yesterday. It's specifically mentioned that one of the highest ranking members of the Qatari royal family is also the head of like the international sporting committee or something like that.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^Have never pretended during my adult life, have disliked soccer since I went through adolescence.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
4 teams left. So who ends up in the finals? Who wins? France won 4 years ago. The last time Argentina won it all, they were able to use their hands. Croatia and Morocco are in unchartered WC territory. Most of Morocco's team was born in France.

Croatia
Morocco
Argentina
France