We The People Will Fund The Wall

awpitt

Main Streeter
Depends.

If they built a wall here in MD, how effective would it be to the southern border?

I'm pretty sure it's not being built in MD. Article mentions that this private wall is somehow filling in a gap between two existing sections of govt wall.

SamSpade

I'm pretty sure it's not being built in MD. Article mentions that this private wall is somehow filling in a gap between two existing sections of govt wall.

And that's kind of the way it has always been proposed - not some long, completely contiguous wall from one end to another,
EVEN if it has sometimes been described that way, and often lampooned that way.

Even the Great Wall of China is not one completely contiguous wall, but rather a system of walls - even though some of them are VERY long.

It is at least as important to build walls where people are likely to or EASILY cross and especially where the barriers have collapsed, have
gaping gaps or simply don't exist. Somewhere the argument has taken the form of "no wall" or "one contiguous wall" even though
that isn't being proposed.

Chris0nllyn

I know it's not.

The wall being built is 1/2 mile long.
It's 1.5 miles Northeast of the actual border wall.
It's on the opposite side of a 4,600ft mountain.

Since a private wall can't tie into the public border wall/fence there will still be a gap. It's a nice PR move but lacking in detail which should be a major giveaway. At least it's cheaper. Govt. per mile cost is about $24 million. This 1/2 mile wall is about $6-8 million, so about half the govt. cost.

I wonder, though. Since it costs taxpayers about $865,000 per mile per year to maintain the existing border barrier, who is going to maintain this one?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I know it's not.

The wall being built is 1/2 mile long.
It's 1.5 miles Northeast of the actual border wall.
It's on the opposite side of a 4,600ft mountain.

Since a private wall can't tie into the public border wall/fence there will still be a gap. It's a nice PR move but lacking in detail which should be a major giveaway. At least it's cheaper. Govt. per mile cost is about $24 million. This 1/2 mile wall is about $6-8 million, so about half the govt. cost.

I wonder, though. Since it costs taxpayers about $865,000 per mile per year to maintain the existing border barrier, who is going to maintain this one?

Okay. I didn't realize it was that far in distance from the govt wall. I guess it will be difficult to connect them so there's no gap.

transporter

Here is your answer:

Kolfage said once everything is said and done, his organization will sell the wall, which cost between $6million and $8million to build, to the federal government for the bargain price of $1.

‘We’re going to sell this wall to them for $1 and release the title to them,’ he said. ‘We can’t give the government the money because that’s not the way it works. But we wanted to show the American people how to get this job done.’

https://webuildthewall.news/private...s-it-will-sell-it-to-the-government-for-just/

So the landowner gets a useless wall put up on his property by a bunch of nutjob propagandists...then wants to sell the useless wall to the govt for $1 so that he won't have to maintain the useless wall he had built.

BOP

Here is your answer:

:crazy:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
HALT: Why Is The Privately Funded Border Wall Being Stopped?

You had to know this was going to happen.

The group “We Build The Wall” that raised close to 22 million to build part of the southern wall and started this past weekend in New Mexico, was given an order to stop building it ASAP. From Newsweek

The mayor of Sunland Park, New Mexico, has issued a cease-and-desist order to a private group that raised millions to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.​

[clip]

This seems odd a group would just start slapping a wall up on the border without going through the proper channels locally. “We Build The Wall” advisory board member, Former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach pushed back on the Mayor’s assertion saying they had obtained permits and inspectors were on site when they started.

They started the build last Thursday and even though it was a holiday weekend, I’m not sure the reason why it took the Mayor until Tuesday to get them to stop? That part smells really political.

https://www.redstate.com/tladuke/2019/05/29/halt-privately-funded-border-wall-stopped/

somdwatch

I'm curious as to why you feel it's "fine"? It's a half mile-long fence sitting in the middle of land 1.5 miles from the actual border fence.
It's fine as it is private property. The castle doctrine in TX is most likely pretty good for these homeowner's to defend, life and property. Hopefully as good as Florida's.

Chris0nllyn

It's fine as it is private property. The castle doctrine in TX is most likely pretty good for these homeowner's to defend, life and property. Hopefully as good as Florida's.

Why not take the money and build a wall on private property in Oklahoma? It'll be just as effective.

Also, this is being built in New Mexico. Not Texas.

It's a PR move by a group that has scammed millions of dollars from people who bought into the idea that Mexico would pay for the wall.