Website notifications

PeoplesElbow

In the last year or so the number of websites doing this have really grown. Personally I think it's invasive and annoying as hell.

Is there some sort of notification squasher or something?

PeoplesElbow

what notification ?
You go to a website, it asks you if you would like to receive notifications, first time it happened I wasn't expecting it and think I somehow clicked yes. So now I get a small notification from that website in the system tray area even when I dont have my browser up.

I figured out how to get rid of it, but if I'm not expecting to be asked I'll somehow tell it yes before realizing it. IMHO they are as bad as popups were when they first appeared back in the 90s.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Agree - they're annoying! I did the same thing at first, and then realized the error of my ways. :lol:

tward

Which browser are you using? In Firefox, if you open options and search for notifications you will see a checkbox that you can check "Block new requests asking to allow notifications".

Reactions: BOP

BOP

You go to a website, it asks you if you would like to receive notifications, first time it happened I wasn't expecting it and think I somehow clicked yes. So now I get a small notification from that website in the system tray area even when I dont have my browser up.

I figured out how to get rid of it, but if I'm not expecting to be asked I'll somehow tell it yes before realizing it. IMHO they are as bad as popups were when they first appeared back in the 90s.

SMIBs online does that, and it's annoying as hell.

Seriously, you go onto a website that you've never been on before, and you get smacked with a notification popup, and most of the time, a subscription notification. Hell, why would I want to subscribe or receive notifications before I've even decided whether or not I even like the content? Morons.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which browser are you using? In Firefox, if you open options and search for notifications you will see a checkbox that you can check "Block new requests asking to allow notifications".

This was very helpful - thanks!