Wedding gift amount

Cowgirl

I have a wedding to go to this weekend...in Vermont. The couple said they'd rather have money for their honeymoon instead of things for their house. What's a good amount to give? We're already spending several hundred dollars to go as it is....gas money, hotel, dress, etc. I don't want to seem cheap, but I don't want to spend more than I have to. Ugh. :nomoney:

W

wkndbeacher

I have a wedding to go to this weekend...in Vermont. The couple said they'd rather have money for their honeymoon instead of things for their house. What's a good amount to give? We're already spending several hundred dollars to go as it is....gas money, hotel, dress, etc. I don't want to seem cheap, but I don't want to spend more than I have to. Ugh. :nomoney:

Id figure the costs of two adult buffets plus tip, if their having a reception. So id say $50 or whatever you can afford.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I say " how well do you know them. I have a wedding to go to in a month and I havent even seen the bride in like 5 years but hubby knows her dad. Would regifting the 3 large pk of yankee candles I got for xmas be ok. I cant see spending money on someone I dont really even know.

Cowgirl

I say " how well do you know them. I have a wedding to go to in a month and I havent even seen the bride in like 5 years but hubby knows her dad. Would regifting the 3 large pk of yankee candles I got for xmas be ok. I cant see spending money on someone I dont really even know.

He is a good friend from college and a former roommate. He met her when I was living there...so they're pretty good friends.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I'd say if the cheap bastards are looking for handouts to pay for their honeymoon.

1) they shouldn't be going on a honeymoon .. and

2) you should give them a bill for 50% of what it is costing you to get there.

3) EXPECTING gifts is rude and brash, and having the cajones to tell people what you want is beyond bad form! They should, instead, write their guests and inform them that first and formeost they want their company on the important day, nothing is more important to them than sharing their love with their friends and family. NOTHING else should be said about gifts or cash, unless it's to say "Your presence at this glorious event can be in lieu of gifts."

I'm sorry, but I don't want nor do I need anything...

well except this lamp..

and this chair..

oh, and this ashtray too..

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Wedding gift amount 10-04-2007 01:42 PM I think I know you and if I receive those next month, I'll know they are recycled.

Dear Karma giver, What? you dont like candles? Or the recycled part. I guess I can put 5.00 in a card for you. Would that be better.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I'd say if the cheap bastards are looking for handouts to pay for their honeymoon.

1) they shouldn't be going on a honeymoon .. and

2) you should give them a bill for 50% of what it is costing you to get there.

3) EXPECTING gifts is rude and brash, and having the cajones to tell people what you want is beyond bad form! They should, instead, write their guests and inform them that first and formeost they want their company on the important day, nothing is more important to them than sharing their love with their friends and family. NOTHING else should be said about gifts or cash, unless it's to say "Your presence at this glorious event can be in lieu of gifts."

I'm sorry, but I don't want nor do I need anything...

well except this lamp..

and this chair..

oh, and this ashtray too..

Dont forget the paddle ball.