Wedding invitation

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We got a wedding invitation in the mail yesterday. Didn't have the slightest idea who these people were.

The wording was, "You are invited to the wedding of Bride's Name and Groom's Name...." Neither name, first or last, meant anything to either of us. No parents' names were on the invitation.

The return address on the envelope was the bride and groom's. The response envelope was unaddressed and unstamped. The RSVP card was a 1.5" square photocopy that was cut crooked with the bride's email address and phone number in addition to the traditional wording of a card that would normally be mailed. There was also a, "We are registered at Macy's" card.

So, after searching around facebook, I find that it's likely either the bride or groom is the child of one of the husband's cousins. The cousins are a good bit older and always lived several states away, so the husband never interacted with them much. I've only met them once or twice in twenty years of dating/marriage and I'm not sure I ever met their children. I continued to search around facebook at the bride and groom's pages and their friend's pages trying to figure out who these people are. (This is why you need to set you FB privacy settings tighter than the default, because people like me are nosy.) Well, seems the soon to be married couple have been engaged for nine years and have been living together most, if not all of that time. They have a child together who looks about three years old and the bride uses her fiance's last name, not the name on the invitation. I have to wonder if they haven't already had a courthouse wedding and are just going for the big church wedding now.

Seriously? They may as well scream, "We think you must be rich Yankees who will NEVER show, but will feel obliged to send an expensive gift."

It's too bad that I'm busy that day. I'd be tempted to drive the 10 hours to eat their food, drink their drinks :otter: and give them the toilet bowl brush from their main wedding registry, which is at Target (google tells you these things). :evil:

BTW, today's facebook chatter confirms that the groom is the child of one of the husband's cousins. I'm 90% certain that we've never met him.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It's too bad that I'm busy that day. I'd be tempted to drive the 10 hours to eat their food, drink their drinks :otter: and give them the toilet bowl brush from their main wedding registry, which is at Target (google tells you these things). :evil:

About a zero chance of an open bar. Food will probably be catered by Walmart. Reception in the bar of an American Legion.

mamatutu

mama to two
We got a wedding invitation in the mail yesterday. Didn't have the slightest idea who these people were.

The wording was, "You are invited to the wedding of Bride's Name and Groom's Name...." Neither name, first or last, meant anything to either of us. No parents' names were on the invitation.

The return address on the envelope was the bride and groom's. The response envelope was unaddressed and unstamped. The RSVP card was a 1.5" square photocopy that was cut crooked with the bride's email address and phone number in addition to the traditional wording of a card that would normally be mailed. There was also a, "We are registered at Macy's" card.

So, after searching around facebook, I find that it's likely either the bride or groom is the child of one of the husband's cousins. The cousins are a good bit older and always lived several states away, so the husband never interacted with them much. I've only met them once or twice in twenty years of dating/marriage and I'm not sure I ever met their children. I continued to search around facebook at the bride and groom's pages and their friend's pages trying to figure out who these people are. (This is why you need to set you FB privacy settings tighter than the default, because people like me are nosy.) Well, seems the soon to be married couple have been engaged for nine years and have been living together most, if not all of that time. They have a child together who looks about three years old and the bride uses her fiance's last name, not the name on the invitation. I have to wonder if they haven't already had a courthouse wedding and are just going for the big church wedding now.

Seriously? They may as well scream, "We think you must be rich Yankees who will NEVER show, but will feel obliged to send an expensive gift."

BTW, today's facebook chatter confirms that the groom is the child of one of the husband's cousins. I'm 90% certain that we've never met him.

You made me laugh so hard! You are funny! My daughter is getting married next May; only daughter and I am a muddling through planning her wedding, and learning things I never knew like having to feed your DJ, photographer, and officiate a plated dinner, etc., and finding awkward situations are just part of a wedding; so your post was particularly humorous to me. Thanks. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Dymphna

About a zero chance of an open bar. Food will probably be catered by Walmart. Reception in the bar of an American Legion.
Now that you mention it, the last wedding we went to for this branch of the family was a dry event... :shocking:

acommondisaster

Yikes.

I found out a week after the invitations went out that my dear DIL-to-be decided that since she put on the invitation that they could email or phone their RSVP, she didn't need to put stamps on the return RSVP envelopes. I'm still mortified and haven't figured out how to say anything to anyone (it's mostly family, but you know how family can be). And she's wondering why she hasn't seen many RSVP's. hmm. :whistle:

Then my MIL (bless her heart) called and said she was emailing me a list of addresses of people she wants invitations sent to. None of them will show up; there's no "we're registered at this store" stuff on the invitations - but she wants them to get invitations anyway. I shudder to think what these people are going to think when they get the invitations; I don't know who half of them are, and the other half, I can't remember the last time we saw them.

You've pointed out how they're going to feel when they get the invitations. Oh well. (Though the invitations are nice enough, thankfully not as you described.)

sockgirl77

They may as well scream, "We think you must be rich Yankees who will NEVER show, but will feel obliged to send an expensive gift."
That is exactly what it is screaming. My parents get a few of those invites plus a few oddball graduation announcements per year. I'm pretty sure that they just send a congrats card and not any type of gift.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
That is exactly what it is screaming. My parents get a few of those invites plus a few oddball graduation announcements per year. I'm pretty sure that they just send a congrats card and not any type of gift.

:yay:...

Hell I would have just tossed it out! If they have been together that long... and had a child.... Im sure they are set with things they need...

oh hey... did you get a shower invite? Birth announcement in the mail at any time.... Did you get any Xmas cards over the last nine years? Family Pics, Pics of the kids….

If not…Effem!!!
:coffee:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I would put everything back in the original envlope, tape it shut, and write return to sender on the outside, put it back in the mailbox.

Dymphna

Yikes.

I found out a week after the invitations went out that my dear DIL-to-be decided that since she put on the invitation that they could email or phone their RSVP, she didn't need to put stamps on the return RSVP envelopes. I'm still mortified and haven't figured out how to say anything to anyone (it's mostly family, but you know how family can be). And she's wondering why she hasn't seen many RSVP's. hmm. :whistle:

Then my MIL (bless her heart) called and said she was emailing me a list of addresses of people she wants invitations sent to. None of them will show up; there's no "we're registered at this store" stuff on the invitations - but she wants them to get invitations anyway. I shudder to think what these people are going to think when they get the invitations; I don't know who half of them are, and the other half, I can't remember the last time we saw them.

You've pointed out how they're going to feel when they get the invitations. Oh well. (Though the invitations are nice enough, thankfully not as you described.)
I imagine you MIL has been bragging to her friends about her granddaughter getting married, so those invitations are likely just fine. When I got married, there was a pair of cousins of my grandparents who I'd never met, but had often heard about. Little old ladies in their 70's who we knew wouldn't come. However, they'd been close to my grandparents in their youth and were the types to like getting an invitation just to know what is going on with old friends. And yes, we expected that they'd be good for a gift. However the invitation came from my parents. The wording being, "Mr. and Mrs. X invite you to the wedding of their daughter..." Also, my grandmother had been in touch with these people over the years.