Weddings bring out the worst in people

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Guests RSVP for them and their 16 year old son - 3 chicken meals.
When served, there are two adult meals and one chicken finger kiddie meal.
Kitchen cobbles together a regular meal, all is well.
Bride's parents are demanding that guest pay them for the adult chicken meal because their 16 year old was supposed to have a kiddie chicken finger meal.

So, it's pretty stupid to think a 16 year old should have a kiddie meal, and I feel for the groom because his life is going to be hell until he finally divorces these people's daughter. Regardless, I'd stroke them a check, then never associate with them again.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Up until 2-3 years ago,we were constantly asked if we needed a kids menu for my oldest son. (14-15 at the time) They asked us while most of them were looking up at him. That and they would serve his drinks in a kiddie cup with a lid. :smdh:

Rommey

When we were planning my daughter's wedding, we automatically added in a few extra meals just in case we had some people unexpectedly show. We had two people that showed up that weren't sure until the day before, so we had it covered. Even if we didn't have it covered, I would never think of approaching an invited guest to pay for a meal under those circumstances. I already spent thousands on the day, a few extra dollars isn't going to break me.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
And another thing, if the invite is written to Mr. and Mrs. X, it does not mean your spawn is invited. So don't get butthurt if someone says something to you.

Oh, SEND THE ^$*#^($((#@@! RESPONSE CARD BACK!!!111!11 It's there for a reason.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
And another thing, if the invite is written to Mr. and Mrs. X, it does not mean your spawn is invited. So don't get butthurt if someone says something to you.

Oh, SEND THE ^$*#^($((#@@! RESPONSE CARD BACK!!!111!11 It's there for a reason.
It's truly amazing how the response card gets misinterpreted so easily. We specifically wrote down on the response card how many seats we'd reserved for each couple/family as to clarify and still had people call and ask about bringing extra. And the people that assumed, just because we have a flower girl, our wedding was obviously kid friendly so they can bring theirs too.

:strangle:

and I agree: buffets all the way.

I'd also elope if I had to do it again.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's truly amazing how the response card gets misinterpreted so easily. We specifically wrote down on the response card how many seats we'd reserved for each couple/family as to clarify and still had people call and ask about bringing extra. And the people that assumed, just because we have a flower girl, our wedding was obviously kid friendly so they can bring theirs too.

Thanks for using the smiley I contributed to the forum. Wow, you would elope if you had to do it again. It seems people were happier than you were, and wanted to share your day. Happy belated wedding wishes. :) Or 😕

Last edited:

acommondisaster

We might have been lucky that our venue was so accommodating - we had a lot of out of town family with kids coming so we made a large table with chicken fingers, fries and pizzas. Wedding favors were ALL sugar - the candy rings, necklaces, a dum-dum tree centerpiece, placemats with crayons. Kids pretty much entertained and took care of themselves; parents had plated meals. I would never have sat a 16 y/o at the kids table, nor made his family pay for the meal. Weddings/funerals do bring out the worst in people.

Note: when our other son got married, it was a no kid wedding, and again we had out of town family with kids - so we set up a pizza party/video game/bouncing room thing outside party at our house and hired 2 babysitters.

acommondisaster

Or at least a buffet dinner instead of plates.
As a picky wedding attendee, I hate buffets. The food is almost always way worse, cold and the whole standing in line to get a plate sucks. You wind up getting the crusty edges, the cold meat and forgetting the butter for your roll, or something equally as annoying.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I can’t believe that there is so much criticism of weddings in this thread. Free food and drink. Should the family who paid for the wedding pay the disgruntled attendees back that did not like it? It is supposed to be a happy day. Volunteer to plan/help with the next wedding you are invited to, and have a say so. And, there is that RSVP thingy, when one can say...cannot attend. And, y’all could drop off the food you didn’t like to a homeless shelter, or a school that tries to feed children that don’t get breakfast at home. Sheesh, y’all.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
This is why eloping makes so much sense.

No, it doesn’t make sense. It is a special part of a parent’s life, and, also, there are reasons for eloping. First one being that parents and friends don’t approve of the match. I doubt the majority were trying to save their parents money. I wonder how many elopers stay married. Is there a study on that? I will look that up.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We might have been lucky that our venue was so accommodating - we had a lot of out of town family with kids coming so we made a large table with chicken fingers, fries and pizzas. Wedding favors were ALL sugar - the candy rings, necklaces, a dum-dum tree centerpiece, placemats with crayons. Kids pretty much entertained and took care of themselves; parents had plated meals. I would never have sat a 16 y/o at the kids table, nor made his family pay for the meal. Weddings/funerals do bring out the worst in people.

Note: when our other son got married, it was a no kid wedding, and again we had out of town family with kids - so we set up a pizza party/video game/bouncing room thing outside party at our house and hired 2 babysitters.

That's an excellent solution! I love the kids' table idea, too. Very cool. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
A lot of times couples elope because of all the drama involved in planning these events. They want to avoid all of that and can't figure out a way to handle it directly.

Some of the reasons weddings (can) bring out the worst in people, is because priorities are all screwed up anymore. Parents need to just back off and let the betrothed couple make the decisions about the wedding. It's not the parents of the bride, nor the parents of the grooms' wedding. If you hold them hostage because you are paying for the wedding, then YOU have psychological issues. Sheesh. Set a dollar amount, give it to them and let them decide what they want to do. Or not -but stop trying to make it all about you.

I am not concerned with whether my younger son gets married or not, NOR whether he has children - or not. It's not my choice. It's not my life. My life's worth is not tied up in whether he gets married and produces offspring so I can be a grandmother. Or not. 🤷

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A lot of times couples elope because of all the drama involved in planning these events. They want to avoid all of that and can't figure out a way to handle it directly.

Some of the reasons weddings (can) bring out the worst in people, is because priorities are all screwed up anymore. Parents need to just back off and let the betrothed couple make the decisions about the wedding. It's not the parents of the bride, nor the parents of the grooms' wedding. If you hold them hostage because you are paying for the wedding, then YOU have psychological issues. Sheesh. Set a dollar amount, give it to them and let them decide what they want to do. Or not -but stop trying to make it all about you.

I am not concerned with whether my younger son gets married or not, NOR whether he has children - or not. It's not my choice. It's not my life. My life's worth is not tied up in whether he gets married and produces offspring so I can be a grandmother. Or not. 🤷
You mean like some off-centered mother or future MIL projecting her ideals on THEIR wedding? I can't imagine...