weed control

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Has anyone sprayed yet??
The dock and plantana in the fields here are ready to be sprayed. I have to say we have very little at the present time...but would like less to none before they mature and seed. I have found Cimmeron to be the safest, most effective product. What do you use?

Robin

I haven't sprayed anything yet we have some very little of the yellow buttercups? I guess thats what they are along with vetch use to be cattle in the pastures. 2 fields are great with orchard grass but the one that was over grazed by cattle a year ago has that junk coming in. any suggestions? I topped them off high so they wouldn't seed just haven't had the time to read up what was best for it with out hurting the horses. I know the pasture has to rest for a decent time afterwards because of the poisen

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Robin said:
I haven't sprayed anything yet we have some very little of the yellow buttercups? I guess thats what they are along with vetch use to be cattle in the pastures. 2 fields are great with orchard grass but the one that was over grazed by cattle a year ago has that junk coming in. any suggestions? I topped them off high so they wouldn't seed just haven't had the time to read up what was best for it with out hurting the horses. I know the pasture has to rest for a decent time afterwards because of the poisen

I heard once the buttercups bloom it's too late. Southern States carries something safe for horses but I can't remember the name of it.

PrepH4U

SouthernMdRocks said:
I heard once the buttercups bloom it's too late. Southern States carries something safe for horses but I can't remember the name of it.
It is Cimmeron, the one persimmoncf mentioned. Southern states sells it for around $70. But, it is very concentrated and easy to apply. It is supposed to be safe within 6 hours. But we keep them off it for over a week.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
PrepH4U said:
It is Cimmeron, the one persimmoncf mentioned. Southern states sells it for around $70. But, it is very concentrated and easy to apply. It is supposed to be safe within 6 hours. But we keep them off it for over a week.

Thanks, I agree, better safe then sorry.

Robin

thank you! This is a field that we will not have horses on this year because of the recent over grazing before we purchased the property. I have been reading alot even on the farm bureau sites reading time is limited thanks for the information

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Cimarron Plus is the correct spelling, made by DuPont and sold at Southern States for just under 50.00. There is no grazing restrictions on this product...but a good rain makes me feel better before turn-out. This product is best used on active growing orchard grass and bluegrass ...stay away from Timothy, anf fescues will slightly yellow. Retreat patures after 6 months or more only.
I use a tow behind boom sprayer and the 2 oz. bottle treats approx 10 acres.
The only down side I have found with any broadleaf suppressor is that we loose our clover for the season also.

Robin

oh well clover is always easy to grow around here. I just want to get rid of the yellow junk before it spreads to all the other pastures. I hate the vetch it grows and chokes the good stuff out.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
It will kill your crown vetch, dockweed, buttercup, chickweed...and it kills the red root pigweed (the thorny stuff)...I hate that sh*t!!! Im a bearfoot/flip flop wearing barn girl and i hate dancing/jumping around those common a$$ weeds.

Cowgirl

Robin said:
oh well clover is always easy to grow around here. I just want to get rid of the yellow junk before it spreads to all the other pastures. I hate the vetch it grows and chokes the good stuff out.

But vetch is a great source of protein. :smile:

Robin

vetch is good for cows maybe but not horses besides it grows so fast and chokes out the good stuff. I have to get a handle on it quick

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
This is my karma for this.........weed control 05-15-2007 09:10 PM prick ass

No actually I'm smart enough not to sit on the pigweed cause, your right, they would prick my ass.

camily

Peace
persimmoncf said:
This is my karma for this.........weed control 05-15-2007 09:10 PM prick ass

No actually I'm smart enough not to sit on the pigweed cause, your right, they would prick my ass.
Yet you "ride" a horse. hrmm.
BTW, if you complain about Karma, you just get more. FYI

itsbob

I bowl overhand
OK, so who has a sprayer I can borrow.. was looking at 3 pt hitch 55 gallon PTO powered sprayer, but would rather borrow one then spending $600 on one

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
itsbob said:
OK, so who has a sprayer I can borrow.. was looking at 3 pt hitch 55 gallon PTO powered sprayer, but would rather borrow one then spending $600 on one

We are also considering the PTO sprayer. Mine is 25 gal (way too small) it hooks behind an ATV and literally spays 1 acre per tank fill-up. Good luck in your shopping around.