Weekend fireworks in huntingtown..

Chris0nllyn

It's a private sign on private property.
There's someone that has huge signs blabbering something about stolen land in his yard.
There's the folks on Rt.4 who painted TRUMP into their front yard that borders Rt.4.
There's the folks who planted upside-down trees.

And all that is just in the same general area.

Hang a sign, hang a flag, put a bunch of toilets in your yard for all I care. To some it shows lack of decorum and care for your home, to others it's a protest, to others. To politicians, it's a challenge. IMO, if and when the current commissioners are voted out I think we could see a law designed specifically around this sign(s).

Goldenhawk

Oh, how easily offended... What I posted was informational ("this is what was on the sign we're discussing"), analytical ("this is how some people perceive it") and a suggestion ("this billboard seems like it was intended to offend, and that's not a good choice").

Not one of those things said what was right or wrong about the message on the sign - only how the sign affects people, and the wisdom of posting it.

Let me be clear: I strongly oppose most of the BLM agenda. Yes, all lives matter. Police lives definitely matter. I voted for Trump and in 2016 was happy to claim being a deplorable.

But what I'm saying is this: this billboard makes things worse for all of us, no matter what I believe about its words.

Choosing to shout such a message in public is only going to deepen the problems we have, cement racial hatred, and generally lead to more protests and race wars. This kind of behavior - no matter whether you agree with the message - just increases the chances that BLM riots and Annapolis laws will rip down your confederate flags and statues and even statues of Columbus and Washington. It's not how to get what you want.

I'm suggesting that you should oppose THIS statement of your principles, not that you should oppose those principles.

Jurgo

What are the limits of free speech in this context? Specifically regarding this kind of large sign on a private citizen’s property in Calvert?

is it permissible to have a sign with cuss words? One depicting lurid sexual acts? Are there rules here? If not I have some great ideas...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The sign makes a point of emphasizing a phrase ("All lives matter") that offends black people who are trying to fight for equality, and it ends with a dig at liberals ("From all your deplorables in Calvert County"). If you're a conservative white person, that probably is pretty funny. If you're black or a Democrat, it's pretty offensive.

Look, I don't want to get into an argument about "All lives matter" or "deplorables," but I really do think it's a bad idea to put up (along a main thoroughfare) a billboard that is absolutely certain to offend - probably DESIGNED to offend - so many people. We've crossed a line in our culture where working together and trying to find consensus is a lost cause, and that's not a good thing.

Wait - what? Black people are fighting for equality? Did someone change the 14th Amendment without me knowing about it? 🤔

Hillary didn't care about offending when she called conservative people deplorables. None of the BLACK LIVES MATTER protesters care who they offend or what property they destroy while they are on their quest screaming about so-called police brutality perpetrated upon them or their supposed oppression.

The sign is on private property. They can do what they want to do. :sshrug:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Wait - what? Black people are fighting for equality? Did someone change the 14th Amendment without me knowing about it? 🤔

Hillary didn't care about offending when she called conservative people deplorables. None of the BLACK LIVES MATTER protesters care who they offend or what property they destroy while they are on their quest screaming about so-called police brutality perpetrated upon them or their supposed oppression.

The sign is on private property. They can do what they want to do. :sshrug:
I bet Hillary never thought we'd embrace being called deplorables so much. Almost like a badge of honor.

Crabcatcher79

If the statement of “All lives matter” offends you, GFY. Seriously. GFY.
We do support our law enforcement, they risk their lives to protect our lives and way of life from never-do-well scum. If that offends you, GFY.

Do you go to the breast cancer march and hold up a sign that says "All cancers matter" too?