Weighty decision

Online courses used to be really lame but are now well accepted. It might be an idea for getting ahead on some of the gen. ed. courses that would help you move up. University of MD program is called University of MD, University College.Thier program has reciprocity almost anywhere.
I have taken a few online courses and they have been very hard but I could do them as my chronic insomnia allows. For example I took a Grant Writing class through the University of Alaska. It was extremely lucrative and something I wasn't able to find locally.
Again, not for everyone but worked well for me. Good luck! And for what it's worth, the smartest people I know don't have college degrees. :huggy:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I had the chance to go to school, I was offered a full scholarship to UMD in the 11th grade. Was told I could graduate a year early as well. I had my heart set on joining the Army so I did not take the chance. I joined the delayed entry program when I was 16 or 17, I was scheduled to ship out July 11th of 2000. My Recruiter screwed me over and did not get me everything he had promised so I was able to back out. I worked as a HVAC service tech when I was in HS, then went to Construction Management when I was 20. I could have gone very far doing HVAC work and I loved doing it but my company was letting my age hold my salary back. I left them as a Mechanic and went to be a Labor, gave up all my benefits for a couple of dollars more an hour. After two weeks I was put into a foreman position, then a year later I was put in the office, then back out in the field running work. The company I am with now has treated me very well. Now to get to my point... I really do not like or enjoy what I do. Yes I am working for a great company but I just do not like what I am doing one bit. I would love to go be a cop or do something I see as helpfull but it is very hard to give up something good.

My advice is to sit back and really think about what you want in the long run. Figure out what it will take to get you there, Write down your goals with a timeframe to the next step. Keep track of that schedule, if it starts to slip find out why and adjust whatever is wrong. With proper goals and planning anything is possible.

I really wish I had done this, I just jumped to the next job that I could 6 years ago and now it seems I am stuck.

Last edited:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Hollywoodmom said:
Online courses used to be really lame but are now well accepted. It might be an idea for getting ahead on some of the gen. ed. courses that would help you move up. University of MD program is called University of MD, University College.Thier program has reciprocity almost anywhere.
I have taken a few online courses and they have been very hard but I could do them as my chronic insomnia allows. For example I took a Grant Writing class through the University of Alaska. It was extremely lucrative and something I wasn't able to find locally.
Again, not for everyone but worked well for me. Good luck! And for what it's worth, the smartest people I know don't have college degrees. :huggy:

THe benefit of having the classroom time helped me alot in my math classes.. Which has always been a problem for me.. I've already made up my mind that I wan't to continue to go to school. I'll just bust my butt al summer and slow down a bit when class is in session..

:biggrin:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Magnum said:
I had the chance to go to school, I was offered a full scholarship to UMD in the 11th grade. Was told I could graduate a year early as well. I had my heart set on joining the Army so I did not take the chance. I joined the delayed entry program when I was 16 or 17, I was scheduled to ship out July 11th of 2000. My Recruiter screwed me over and did not get me everything he had promised so I was able to back out. I worked as a HVAC service tech when I was in HS, then went to Construction Management when I was 20. I could have gone very far doing HVAC work and I loved doing it but my company was letting my age hold my salary back. I left them as a Mechanic and went to be a Labor, gave up all my benefits for a couple of dollars more an hour. After two weeks I was put into a foreman position, then a year later I was put in the office, then back out in the field running work. The company I am with now has treated me very well. Now to get to my point... I really do not like or enjoy what I do. Yes I am working for a great company but I just do not like what I am doing one bit. I would love to go be a cop or do something I see as helpfull but it is very hard to give up something good.

My advice is to sit back and really think about what you want in the long run. Figure out what it will take to get you there, Write down your goals with a timeframe to the next step. Keep track of that schedule, if it starts to slip find out why and adjust whatever is wrong. With proper goals and planning anything is possible.

I really wish I had done this, I just jumped to the next job that I could 6 years ago and now it seems I am stuck.

You've done very well for youself honey. Congratulate yourself. I would take some classes sooner or later if I were you, just for shiats and giggles. It can't ever shurt you to learn somethign new. :love:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Beelzebaby666 said:
You've done very well for youself honey. Congratulate yourself. I would take some classes sooner or later if I were you, just for shiats and giggles. It can't ever shurt you to learn somethign new. :love:

I wouldn't know what to take or what to do. It's not like I can change jobs easily now. I mean I guess I could study some type of business management or something, problem is I'm not interested in it at all so I would not be able to focus on it.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Magnum said:

I wouldn't know what to take or what to do. It's not like I can change jobs easily now. I mean I guess I could study some type of business management or something, problem is I'm not interested in it at all so I would not be able to focus on it.

DOn't bother taking courses that bore you to death. I am taking math, because I need to know it and because it's always bothered me that i never fully understood algebra. It took me two semesters, but I've amazed myself with how well I've done.

If I were you, I'd take stuff that would lead you on to something you would love to do.. Say for instance, forestry or fisheries. :yay:

I love art, so I take art classes in addition to the math.. Eventually I want to take as many classes as I can that lead me towards conservation and nature.
THat's what makes me happy.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I"m bored with being online for the most part.. I used to sit here and do the web thing for hours.. NOw I'd rather see some real live people...

I guess Pete isn't as social as I been led to believe:frown:

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
sanchezf said:
Beelzebaby666 said:
What field do you want to be in? Ok job 1 is the bar, what is job 2?
How far are you willing to go to work to make money?

P.S. I am also a single mom

Job 2 is at Wildewood Retirement Village.I love this job and my boss likes me, I think:ohwell:

:lol:
As far as travelling to and from work .. I think that's a waste of time. The time spent in the car could be time with my kids.. I try to stay with in 20 minutes.. I did the driving thing for two year.. IT stinks:dead:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
PS, you don't need a college degree to be successful. Many, if not most, business owners do not have the benefit of a college education.

Bill Gates is a college drop-out.

Steve Jobs is a college drop-out.
What about the flip side to that coin.. How many college drop outs are making less than say 35K a year.. or 40k a year.

That would be like telling her to play basketball because look at how much money Michael Jordan made.

There are a LOT more college graduates breaking the 50, 70 and 100K mark than HS graduates or College dropouts.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Magnum said:

Pick a major that is too hard for everyone else to do, they normally have the biggest rewards. The easy majors usually don't pay as well, nor will employers come looking for you.

I went back at the age of 38, graduated at the age of 40, and started a new career, and thnk doG my department head at the college convinced me to change to a harder major. A lot of the 'kids' I went to school with under the original major never did land jobs in their fields.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
vraiblonde said:
Doing what you really want to do sets an example for your children. :yay:
:yay: BB, at one point you mentioned leaving something better for your children than you did. The reference was to school clothes, but I think in a larger context, vrai's point is excellently well-timed. Several posts have discussed how you need to think about your bigger picture; there is no bigger picture than the legacy you will impart upon and leave with your children. Teaching them to work to their highest potential, and at those endeavors that make them truly happy is the best thing you could do for them.

Now, applying that philosophy to yourself: Someone - jazz, I think - said you have answered your own question by the content of your posts. I felt that way too as I read. I think you already know you should go back to school. And I think you also already know the lower-paying/higher-potential job will turn out to be the better one ultimately.

Next, others have said you need to make a plan and dedicate yourself to it. You should include short-term as well as long-term goals and check them off as you go. Be firm, but don't be afraid to change it as circumstances demand. Getting to that final goal is the point of it all, so remember that even as the road gets bumpy.

One of the major life demands that you mentioned was being available for your family. Granted, I don't know the specific dynamics of your family situation... but I would think that, after years of putting yourself out for them, they could allow you the room to pursue your personal goals.

I went to college straight out of HS in a major I thought I liked... because I thought that's what was "expected" of me. My grades dropped, and after 2 years I withdrew completely. Had a couple jobs, then got into retail because it was available. Nine years later and going nowhere I finally knocked myself awake, gathered a bit of confidence and went back to school. Today, I still have the retail job because it's stable... but my business in my chosen field is growing. And I earn a minimum of 6.6x what I do at the day job.

And I have a fun time doing it.

And, although I can't claim that my experiences would have been impossible without school, it has played an invaluable role. That work is also helping as I pursue other 'day jobs' and continue exploring options.

I'm sure you will make a solid decision. :yay:

Last edited:

kathie54

No green? Will pinch!
Beelzebaby666 said:
Sometime this month I have to make some very important decisions. Here are some facts...

I'm making better money than I have in years, but I'm also barely able to get by as I am trying to pay down some of the debts from previous years. I also have a crappy car and I hate where I live.

I have landed the BEST job of my life and there is definite possibility for advancement over the next year or two, provided everything goes well.

I'm starting to feel older than my 32 years, especially in my feet and legs after standing on them for 12 years straight. So my second job is wearing on me physically and it's also alot to contend with given what I do and who I deal with.

I might actually be able to better myself without the benefit of a degree, but that doesn't exactly offer me any concrete steps up. The degree I could be working on will certainly help me, even though both of my jobs now aren't exactly going to secure me the 70,000+ a year it would take to make me totally independent and financially secure as a single parent.

So, that being said, here's the question.....

Should I register for classes in the fall or continue working at my current rate?

I am worried that I can't make it with out both jobs. I am worried I can't handle the classes with both jobs. I am worried something bad will happen, health-wise or family-wise, that will cost me a job. I make more money at the crappy one, which is totally dead end(bar), but the good job is for decent money and has a lot of potential...

There are a lot of pros and cons to choosing either direction.... I just wanted a few opinions from those of you who have their heads on straight.

P.S. NO, a suga-daddy is not an option.

TIA.:biggrin:
this isn't our decision it's yours and no one but you :coffee:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
kathie54 said:
this isn't our decision it's yours and no one but you :coffee:
Um...

she did ask for input/guidance.

Which is why I'm surprised you would have anything to say on this, young one.

bcp

In My Opinion
get the education.
look for any assistance that you need and you can recieve while doing it.

a couple years from now it will be obvious that it was the best choice.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't know where you are going to school, but look for the Returning Adult or Communting Students center.

There is usually a faculty member or a few faculty members, who represent returning adults and their special needs.

This office would have all the info you need to find what you qualify for; aid, child care health care etc.. I was the president of the Adult Learners on Campus/ Non-Traditional Student Union at my school, and we'd bring in Social Workers, and people from the Welfare office, and even people from the schools financial aid office, to tell our returning students what they could qualify for to help them stay in school. Let the school know your situation, and let them try to help.

What's really a shame is if you were going to an $$$$ school it would probaby be easier to find help.

But if you want to get an education, there are ways to do it, and people out there willing and able to help.

kathie54

No green? Will pinch!
hvp05 said:
Um...

she did ask for input/guidance.

Which is why I'm surprised you would have anything to say on this, young one.
thats what i've been taught, to make my own decisions not let anyone else make the decisions for me

BlackSheep

kathie54 said:
thats what i've been taught, to make my own decisions not let anyone else make the decisions for me
"Out of the mouth of babes" :huggy:
While your input is appreciated, bare in mind, you're what 14?
I'm sure ALOT of decisions are made for you-whether you know it or not.