Weis's rant

Homer J

Power Chord
Sounds good. Can I use regular soy sauce if I am not worried about the salt? And I assume this is white vinegar? I also like to use my pressure cooker when possible to save time. Wonder if this would work if I set it on low pressure for 20 minutes, then let it slow cook for an hour or two.

Yes, white vinegar. I would be cautious about using regular soy sauce. May make it too salty. We usually throw in a couple of bay leaves too.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You pay for what you get.

As far as the 2 for, 3 for etc. I know at Giant if it's 2 for 5, I can buy one at 2.50
The UNIT price is supposed to be on the shelf along with the product price. That allows you to compare different sizes to see if which might be the lower cost item.
But I'm not shopping to stock a pantry, I'm mostly buying fresh and/or have coupon so I don't spend to much time pissing over unit price

You pay for what you get.

As far as the 2 for, 3 for etc. I know at Giant if it's 2 for 5, I can buy one at 2.50

FYI this is not the case at Weis. Item's usually marked similar to "2 for 5 or 3.49/EA", and you can't mix and match (buy 1 get 1 lays chips means two of the same exact bag)

BernieP

Resident PIA
FYI this is not the case at Weis. Item's usually marked similar to "2 for 5 or 3.49/EA", and you can't mix and match (buy 1 get 1 lays chips means two of the same exact bag)

as long as you understand the rules.

I don't and won't be, shopping there.
They would have to burn the building to the ground and start over for me to not think of it as Food Lion
Quality second to everyone.

kalmd

I went to the one in California once and was almost ripped off. We needed 1 or 2 things so decided to go in there and walk around to see how it was. They had an Entenmann display in the middle of the aisle, near the bread, with some sale sign that was a really good price. I think it was 3 or 4 for $5 or something like that. It was a really great deal. We grabbed the required quantity and went to check out with our couple other items. When she was scanning they rang up regular price. I mentioned the sale sign and she said that was for the donuts only. There was a lot more than donuts on the table and the sign said ALL Entenmanns so she did do a price adjustment and gave us the price advertised on the sign. Luckily I only had a few items so I easily noticed the incorrect scanned price. If I had done my full shopping there I would have never noticed and I sure wouldn't have wanted to buy them all at the regular price. I only got them because they were such a great deal.

MarieB

Sounds good. Can I use regular soy sauce if I am not worried about the salt? And I assume this is white vinegar? I also like to use my pressure cooker when possible to save time. Wonder if this would work if I set it on low pressure for 20 minutes, then let it slow cook for an hour or two.

I use cider vinegar, the good unfiltered kind. I also add bay leaf, ginger, paprika, (smoked paprika is really good too) and pepper. I use 1:1 on the soy and vinegar. And yes, I also use my pressure cooker.

Yes, I found myself skinning chicken thighs from weis (hate doing it ) because I was too lazy to shop at another store. I frequent weis more than I ever did food lion. I think it's cleaner, but I also shop multiple stores so I pass on overpriced items. They do have really good sales on chicken, and it's usually trimmed pretty well.

As far as cooking chicken thighs, they also have a sauce packet in the Mexican section - cilantro lime verde that is very good. I also use that in the pressure cooker

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

Read the Weis price accuracy policy. Don't just get them to correct the price; instead they owe you the item free. I think I'm going to start checking carefully, because if the problem is as rampant as you say, I can save some serious money.
https://www.weismarkets.com/price-accuracy-policy

Price Scan Guarantee Policy

At Weis Markets, we guarantee our customers that the price charged at our scanning registers on any item is correct. If the price charged is higher than the shelf tag price, you receive one of the items free up to a limit of $10.00. For an item costing more than $10.00 customer will receive $10.00 off the lowest shelf or advertised price. Customer will be charged the correct price for any additional units of that product in the order.

Charged price includes prices for items that are scanned, price look-up items, or items for which the price is entered manually. Shelf tag price includes any displayed or posted price. Void when prohibited by federal, state or local law.

Price questions/comments? Call 1-888-722-6727

(I think this is basically them paying customers to do their accuracy-checking work for them...)

3CATSAILOR

I haven't been happy with the new Weis's stores.
First of all, I don't like all of the price gimmicks.
I want to buy what I need at a fair price, and I don't want to do math at each item to figure out the actual price.
Maybe 4 for $5, or 3 for $5, or 8 for $10 is a good deal, but just tell me the fricking price.
And maybe I want one, but I don't need 5.
And there's the Pick 5 thing. Again, I don't want to search the store for 5 things that qualify, in order to get a better price.
So I keep coming home from the store with 4 of this, and 5 of that... because I want the best price available to me.
... so I find myself playing the game.

Today was the grand finale - I'm not going back.
After getting home and studying my ridiculously long receipt (another weird thing about this store).
I bought 4 fajita spice packs for $5. But I paid $5.56, not to mention I didn't need 4 packs!
I bought 2 packs of hamburger patties from the fresh meat section that were clearly marked on sale for around $5.50 each.
I actually paid over $8.00 each, with a 15 cent discount on each pack. WTF???

My husband told me to take the burgers back just on the principle of it.
But I'm keeping my $8.00 packs of burgers, and not going back.

Not to mention, they are over-priced on most things that I usually buy.

Grrrr..... I really wanted to like this store.

Unless they change their tactics, Weiss will come and go.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I May ...

Funny that Weis, pronounced vise, as in vise grip, translates to "looking". Now that's a weird naming of a store. So we are in essence saying, "I am going shopping at the looking store".
Weis as surname means ‘wise’, ‘clever’, ‘experienced’, still not good store names.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If I May ... Funny that Weis, pronounced vise, as in vise grip, translates to "looking". Now that's a weird naming of a store. So we are in essence saying, "I am going shopping at the looking store". Weis as surname means ‘wise’, ‘clever’, ‘experienced’, still not good store names.

Weis means white in German.

ReadingTheNews

Add me to the 'unhappy with Weis' list, too.

(Thankfully, in Lusby there is a Giant right across the street from the Weis, so I can just go there!) :yay:

Don't know about anyone else but I had never heard of Weis before they moved here. I have this odd feeling that Weis really doesn't want to be in SoMD, but someone struck a deal to get them here. Weis is not going the 'extra mile' to make themselves the store of choice, just kind of marking time. They can't be making a profit, at least not from what I see in the California store.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Don't know about anyone else but I had never heard of Weis before they moved here. I have this odd feeling that Weis really doesn't want to be in SoMD, but someone struck a deal to get them here. Weis is not going the 'extra mile' to make themselves the store of choice, just kind of marking time. They can't be making a profit, at least not from what I see in the California store.

Harris Teeter was supposedly voted #1 supermarket in VA :shrug: perhaps supermarket #6 will get it right :doh:

Goldenhawk

Looking back at the history, Giant Food acquired Food Lion last year, but part of the deal was they had to divest some of the stores to avoid antitrust concerns. Weis chose to buy them. They must think they can make some coin; more than just that, I read between the lines that they're trying to build their brand, not just acquire stores.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-weis-food-lion-20160714-story.html
http://www.progressivegrocer.com/in.../weis-markets-begins-38-food-lion-conversions

I'm not happy with the changes in the stores, but my wife refuses to regularly shop at Giant due to the higher prices and longer drive.

red_explorer

I have actually been pretty thrilled with Weis, but then I knew what to expect. I've been in them in several areas before. My food bill has actually gone down since they took over Food Lion. I think I have figured out the difference. Prices are lower on the basics, but higher on processed stuff. As I am on a no processed or prepackaged plan, this helps me a lot.