Besides a new look and more streamlined browsing, there are several new features:
- Premo members can now create a private group with members of their choosing. At the top click on Groups, then Create Group. The options are:
- Create group forum: check that box
- Non-members can view thread contents: that's up to you.
- Create group discussion area: this is basically group PMing. Maybe you have your group set to open so non-members can see the posts, but you can make a private discussion area just for members.
- Create a group photo area
- Create group event calendar
- GROUP SETTINGS: once these are set, they cannot be changed.
- Private Group: non-members can see that the group exists, but not any threads. Non-members can request membership.
- Hidden private group: non-members see nothing and you must manually invite people to join your group.
- Not private but requires approval: anyone can see the group and the threads, but must be approved to become a member and post.
- If one of the options above is not selected, the group will be a public group and anyone can view threads and join without approval.
- Restricted groups are admin permission only, so don't check that.
- One private group per Premo membership.
- Notification settings: choose how you'd like to be notified when various things happen with your group
- To become a Premium Member, click your icon at the top and select Account Upgrades. Pay online and you will immediately be upgraded to Premium.
- Threads can be started in the thread list of a forum. Click on one of the forum categories and you'll see what I mean. At the top of the threads there will be a space where you can start a new thread.
- Ignore feature. Now you can REALLY ignore someone who gets on your nerves. You will not see any threads they start, nor will you see any posts they make. Oh, AND you will not see when someone quotes them in a reply. To ignore someone, hover over their avatar in any post (you may have to click in some browsers) and select Ignore.
- Like button. Give a thumbs up for a good post.
- FURLS. What's that?? That's when you put a link in a post and it gives a brief description of the page. To furl a link, it must be on it's own line. Example:
Your online community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's counties. News, Classifieds, Announcements, Community Calendar, and Forums. Locally owned small business since 1996!somd.com
- Spoilers and Inline Spoilers. This is a spoiler:
It's a secret
- Smilies. We have some news ones, along with your old favorites. When you click the smilie icon above your post window, you'll see all of them.
- Insert Media. The forums supports embedding media from a number of news and entertainment sites. Click the "..." insert button next to the smilies and follow the instructions. Please set your media to NOT autoplay.
- Conversations. PMs are called "conversations" now. You can start a private conversation with someone by clicking your inbox icon, or by clicking/hovering over the person you want to message.
- Tagging members. You can tag members in your post by using the @ symbol and the member's screen name (example: @vraiblonde ). They will receive a notice that you are trying to draw their attention to something. NOTE!! Abuse of this WILL NOT be tolerated!
- Save a draft. I forgot to test this but will play with it and describe it here.
- Mark Forum Read. At the top of each forum, above the threads, you can mark the forum as read and not see them come up in New Posts.
- Go into your account and set your privacy and preferences. Click your name at the top, choose from the menu. Go through all settings and personalize them to suit. "Preferences" is the biggie because that tells the system to alert you or not based on various events.
- Multi-Quote. Click "Reply" next to each post you want to multi-quote. They'll show up in a post window as you select them. AND you can choose posts to add to the quote even after you've started the reply.
Last edited by a moderator: