Welcome back! Here's what's new:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Right now my major beef is, it's not very - DENSE. As in, needlessly wide margins here and there, and posts are comparatively huge so that I can see very little at once on a laptop.
Interesting how people have different perspectives. I find the new format extremely easy to read. Well spaced, minimal interference and readable fonts. The old site gave me a headache. The actual content was buried among protruding ancillary data and you had to scroll past vast areas of white space to get to the meat of the next post. Plus, the old site was pretty much useless on mobile devices.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Click "Reply" next to each post you want to multi-quote.
The other cool things is, you can highlight a few words or sentences in the post you want to quote. Then a little balloon will popup that says "Reply." Click on that and it takes you to the form to enter a post with the selected text quoted... which is what I did for this post. Much better than repeating an entire encyclopedia page when you just want to comment on one small point. When I see someone quoting an entire large post, I just skip it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Is there any way to see the subforums for a forum on the main page without actually going into the forum? There is an pull-down arrow where you can see a pop-up for them but they don't stay displayed underneath the forum like they used to do.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
BTW, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the little green avatar that appears over a user's Avatar at the bottom signifies that they are currently online.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Also, there used to be a feature where you could click on the number of replies in a thread and see who posted in it and how many times. Is that gone now or is there another way of doing it?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Is there any way to see the subforums for a forum on the main page without actually going into the forum? There is an pull-down arrow where you can see a pop-up for them but they don't stay displayed underneath the forum like they used to do.
We can put that one on the something to consider list. I want to collect everyone's ideas for a week. Then we can go over them at the same time and see what is the best way to proceed.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Just glancing around, I don't see birthdays listed like they used to be at the bottom of the Forum page. I may have missed it.
Not that it's important, I just guess I won't be wishing any of you guys a happy birthday anymore if it's not a feature now.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just glancing around, I don't see birthdays listed like they used to be at the bottom of the Forum page. I may have missed it.
Not that it's important, I just guess I won't be wishing any of you guys a happy birthday anymore if it's not a feature now.
I think it was there on the Test Forum, to the right just below Staff Online. Maybe it didn't make the crossover.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

If you click on Members, you can see who's having a birthday today. That could certainly be a front page widget, maybe below the Latest Posts. @David ?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Also, there used to be a feature where you could click on the number of replies in a thread and see who posted in it and how many times. Is that gone now or is there another way of doing it?
I looked on cafe.somd.com and I don't see that feature. If it was there, I never noticed in how ever many years we ran that software. What am i Missing?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is there any way to see the subforums for a forum on the main page without actually going into the forum?

Below each forum title on the main page that has a sub-forum, there will be a drop down menu that you can click to see the subforums. When you click on the main forum, you'll see the subforums at the top, before the threads.

Or did I misunderstand?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I looked on cafe.somd.com and I don't see that feature. If it was there, I never noticed in how ever many years we ran that software. What am i Missing?

In the thread list it would say how many replies to each thread. Click the number of replies and up would come a list of who posted and how many posts they had in the thread.

Not important to logged in users, but non-logged in users cannot click on and view picture attachments in a separate window. A message to log in is displayed.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

I went to that site and don't see that feature, either. I don't know if that is only enabled if you are logged in or not, but I didn't log in.

But If you went into a forum and looked at the individual threads, you could click on the number after "Replies:" under the "Replies/View" column and receive a pop-up showing the users who had posted in the thread and the numbers of times they did. I used it a lot to determine whether or not it was worth my time reading it. :lol:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Hi, It is actually there, but it only appears when someone has a birthday that day. I set my birthday to today on the test system so you can see what it looks like. The user even get a special banner when they come to the site.

Feel free to change your birthday here to test it for yourself. :)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Not important to logged in users, but non-logged in users cannot click on and view picture attachments in a separate window. A message to log in is displayed.
Good info. Thanks for the feedback!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Below each forum title on the main page that has a sub-forum, there will be a drop down menu that you can click to see the subforums. When you click on the main forum, you'll see the subforums at the top, before the threads.

Or did I misunderstand?
Yes, that is not what I meant. I can see them that way but I would like to see them on the front page like they used to be. For example:

1. Forum
    1. Sub-forum with latest thread and date/time of last post showing
    2. Sub-forum with latest thread and date/time of last post showing
    3. Sub-forum with latest thread and date/time of last post showing
Now, I have to actually go into the forum to be able to see the latest thread in each sub-forum.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hey, is there a way to get to SOMD.com (main page) from the Forums?