Well, That Was Nice

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
TV station I watch from the Eastern Shore, WBOC, is a pretty wholesome, pretty unbiased, concentrating on local news kind of station. 8am this morning, they played the Star Spangled Banner. I haven't seen/heard that on tv in a long time.

Nice.

TPD

the poor dad
I need me an antenna so I can watch those Eastern Shore stations. I listen to their radio station all the time - 102.5. One of the few I can pick up way down here in the boonies.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Growing up in Southern SoMD, we could only get three TV stations: Channel 5, Channel 4, and Channel 16 (which was WBOC). Whenever we wanted to change channels, we would -gasp!- have to get up off of the couch and go to the TV to change up or down on the dial. THEN, I would have to go upstairs, open my bedroom window, grab the antenna to turn it, then wait for my Dad to say "got it!", when I spun it around to the proper air space. It was a really big deal when we upgraded to an electric rotor that eliminated the trip upstairs. We were high-class then.

I've always had a soft spot for WBOC. Glad they are playing the SSB. 👍

TPD

the poor dad
Growing up in Southern SoMD, we could only get three TV stations: Channel 5, Channel 4, and Channel 16 (which was WBOC). Whenever we wanted to change channels, we would -gasp!- have to get up off of the couch and go to the TV to change up or down on the dial. THEN, I would have to go upstairs, open my bedroom window, grab the antenna to turn it, then wait for my Dad to say "got it!", when I spun it around to the proper air space. It was a really big deal when we upgraded to an electric rotor that emilinated the trip upstairs. We were high-class then.

I've always had a soft spot for WBOC. Glad they are playing the SSB. 👍
OMG same thing in our house. Except we only stepped out of the front door of the living room and grabbed the pipe wrench to turn the antenna. Don't you dare use the pipe wrench for anything else - it stayed on the ground next to the antenna at all times!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I feel guilty. Growing up in NOVA we had many, many VHF stations and 3 or 4 UHF at our house. In the late 60s dad bought a portable so us men folk could watch TV in the car, while Mommy Dearest and my sister shopped at A&P for our monthly supplies. Those rabbit ears weren't perfect, but to a kid it was magic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I keep my shop radio tuned to 107.5 out of Tappahanock, VA. Good old-fashioned down-homey station that caters to the local community like local stations in rural areas everywhere once did.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I feel guilty. Growing up in NOVA we had many, many VHF stations and 3 or 4 UHF at our house. In the late 60s dad bought a portable so us men folk could watch TV in the car, while Mommy Dearest and my sister shopped at A&P for our monthly supplies. Those rabbit ears weren't perfect, but to a kid it was magic.
We didn't even get a TV until the mid 60s..and even then it was a reluctant purchase; the auctioneer told the old man that if he wanted the oak table he was bidding on, the ancient TV box sitting on top of it came with it. Big box..tiny screen. If we adjusted the antenna, with all its clothes-hanger and tin foil extensions, just right, we could usually get two Baltimore VHF stations and one from Washington, and one or two UHF stations from where I no longer recall. It would only work for about 1 to 1 1/2 hourse before the screen picture would start shrinking in size until it finally disappeared altogether. Had to shut it off and let it cool down for a couple hours to get the picture back. The old man thought that was a great feature...LOL.

TPD

the poor dad
Let me guess - you were part of an entitled rich white family?!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Let me guess - you were part of an entitled rich white family?!
Yes sir! Family of 5 living on dad's GS-12 paycheck. Dad only had one new car in my memory, a 1965 Chevy Biscayne that got rear ended and totaled at a traffic light when it was less than a month old. We lived LARGE! After that, countless American made station wagons that used more oil than gasoline.

jrt_ms1995

OMG same thing in our house. Except we only stepped out of the front door of the living room and grabbed the pipe wrench to turn the antenna. Don't you dare use the pipe wrench for anything else - it stayed on the ground next to the antenna at all times!
D88ned rich folk with your fancy pipe wrenches!

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I keep my shop radio tuned to 107.5 out of Tappahanock, VA. Good old-fashioned down-homey station that caters to the local community like local stations in rural areas everywhere once did.
I kind of miss the days when WKIK was local.

Seems like everything on it is canned now.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
We didn't even get a TV until the mid 60s..and even then it was a reluctant purchase; the auctioneer told the old man that if he wanted the oak table he was bidding on, the ancient TV box sitting on top of it came with it. Big box..tiny screen. If we adjusted the antenna, with all its clothes-hanger and tin foil extensions, just right, we could usually get two Baltimore VHF stations and one from Washington, and one or two UHF stations from where I no longer recall. It would only work for about 1 to 1 1/2 hourse before the screen picture would start shrinking in size until it finally disappeared altogether. Had to shut it off and let it cool down for a couple hours to get the picture back. The old man thought that was a great feature...LOL.
Middle 60s for me too. Earliest stuff I can run watching worth clips from the superman TV show, Hercules and Sinbad cartoons and if I was lucky, Captain Chesapeake on channel 45.

I remember the early TVs, turning them on and waiting for it to warm up in a picture to appear. In the early 70s it got replaced with an admiral Insta picture. :yahoo:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Dad splurged when we moved from NOVA to the 7D in 1972. They had made a pretty decent chunk of change on the sale of the house in Tyson's Corner. After the house was enlarged and semi-finished, he bought a color console TV that had touch sensors to change the channels. It was quite a change from our old B&W TV that needed a smack on the side to focus it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dad splurged when we moved from NOVA to the 7D in 1972. They had made a pretty decent chunk of change on the sale of the house in Tyson's Corner. After the house was enlarged and semi-finished, he bought a color console TV that had touch sensors to change the channels. It was quite a change from our old B&W TV that needed a smack on the side to focus it.
We got a color TV in 1972 because it came bundled with the old man's mother when she moved in to live with us on the farm. Didn't have much say in when it got turned and and to what channel. Had to settle for lots of Larry Welk and Hee Haw.

mitzi

Same here, right outside of DC. Roof antenna. No roof antenna when I got my first apartment. UHF was always terrible reception with that circle antenna on the back of the TV. It got a little better in the mid 70s, could pick up Channel 20 and Channel 45 in Baltimore. I lived not far from the beltway and picked up CB's sometimes. It must have been the foil on the rabbit ears :yahoo:

Last edited: