Went To The Doctor.....

DEEKAYPEE8569

.....for a sinus infection. That's not the kick in the head.
Doc took my B.P. which was off the scale. 148 over 84 or something like that. Oh, joy! :sarcsam:
He looks at me over his glasses and says something like, "I'm gonna give you 30 days to bring this down, or you're going on blood pressure pills."
Well, THAT helped. So, since I got home last night, I've been looking for "healthy" non-medicinal remedies. I guess it's off to the land of "bunny food" :meh: and rice cakes. :barf: /:-\

Radiant1

Soul Probe
It might be helpful to up your intake of calcium, vitamin C, potassium, and utilize garlic, fish oil, and olives in your diet. Follow a Mediterranean diet.

sockgirl77

Doc took my B.P. which was off the scale. 148 over 84 or something like that. Oh, joy! :sarcsam:
He looks at me over his glasses and says something like, "I'm gonna give you 30 days to bring this down, or you're going on blood pressure pills."
Well, THAT helped. So, since I got home last night, I've been looking for "healthy" non-medicinal remedies. I guess it's off to the land of "bunny food" :meh: and rice cakes. :barf: /:-\

148/84 is low for me. :lol:

That's not exactly off the scale, but you should follow your doc's orders and bring it down. Start with eliminating salt and caffeine. Drink plenty of water.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It might be helpful to up your intake of calcium, vitamin C, potassium, and utilize garlic, fish oil, and olives in your diet. Follow a Mediterranean diet.

:yeahthat: I've pretty much had my husband doing that for a while now and the other night he took his BP and said it was the lowest it's ever been.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
LOWER your salt intake. Cardio exercise. Lots of it. Brisk walking, jogging if you can tolerate it. Cycling - either at the gym in an organized "spin" class or riding a real bike. If you ride a real bike - it should be where you can actually ride at a good speed - otherwise it will be pointless. Take up swimmimg at a.pool. OR take an aerobic class of some kind at the gym.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm guessing that multi-vitamins like CENTRUM SILVER and other similar things won't really help anything. I am trying to get into the habit of eating at least one banana every day. I eat garlic in almost everything, but probably not the recommended amount. Fish oil, I know we have some; I guess I just need to take one of those every day too. Walking every night; truth be told, I'd have to force myself. That water drinking thing.....I heard 96 oz. a day. If I drank that much water every day, I wouldn't get anything done for having to pee every 5 minutes. /:-\

DEEKAYPEE8569

LOWER your salt intake. Cardio exercise. Lots of it. Brisk walking, jogging if you can tolerate it. Cycling - either at the gym in an organized "spin" class or riding a real bike. If you ride a real bike - it should be where you can actually ride at a good speed - otherwise it will be pointless. Take up swimmimg at a.pool. OR take an aerobic class of some kind at the gym.

The walking/jogging thing, I don't have the knees for that anymore; even before my weight gain. I used to ride a bicycle every day growing up. Guess I need to start that again. That's easier on the knees, so I'll see about dusting off the old 10-speed.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
The walking/jogging thing, I don't have the knees for that anymore; even before my weight gain. I used to ride a bicycle every day growing up. Guess I need to start that again. That's easier on the knees, so I'll see about dusting off the old 10-speed.

Swimming is good aerobic exercise with low impact on joints.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Again, growing up, I used to be able to swim like a fish; figuratively speaking.
If I was to take up swimming again, I need to find a pool. Shouldn't be TOO tough, right?

If you're not freaked out about a public pool or the area it's located in, then the Great Mills pool shouldn't be too expensive for a single person. The few times I've been there it's been clean and barely used.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If you're not freaked out about a public pool or the area it's located in, then the Great Mills pool shouldn't be too expensive for a single person. The few times I've been there it's been clean and barely used.

No floating blue in the shallow end?
Public pools don't bother me; except for the "He should NOT be in public lookin' like that" stares. Nah.....I'm not paranoid.

ZARA

You can do it. Every morning my husband has to take:
3000mg Flaxseed Oil. (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)
http://images.vitaminimages.com/cdn/sd/pdf/L045247-RF.pdf
The Flaxseed Oil in this product is 100% SOLVENT FREE
No Artificial Flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk,
No Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish. Sodium Free.
2000mg Cinnamon (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)
http://images.vitaminimages.com/cdn/sd/pdf/L036244-RF.pdf
No Artificial Color, Flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives,
No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk, No Lactose, No Soy, No
Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish. Sodium Free.

200mcg Chromium Picolinate (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)
http://images.vitaminimages.com/cdn/sd/pdf/L045119-RF.pdf
No Artificial Color, Flavor or Sweetener, No
Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk, No
Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No
Fish. Sodium Free.
Centrum Silver

It worked like a charm dropping his BP as well as his bad cholesterol levels and increasing his good cholesterol levels.

(The cinnamon and chromium are because he is diabetic and it helps regulate his blood sugar.)

DEEKAYPEE8569

You can do it. Every morning my husband has to take:
3000mg Flaxseed Oil. (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)

2000mg Cinnamon (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)

200mcg Chromium Picolinate (SunDown Naturals -Brand name)

Centrum Silver

It worked like a charm dropping his BP as well as his bad cholesterol levels and increasing his good cholesterol levels.

(The cinnamon and chromium are because he is diabetic and it helps regulate his blood sugar.)

All those supplements AND a Centrum Silver? Hmmm.....thanks.....it's worth a shot.

ZARA

All those supplements AND a Centrum Silver? Hmmm.....thanks.....it's worth a shot.

Yes. We saw results within one month. We saw drastic results over a period of 6 months.

In August of last year my husband was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. His blood sugar was 284. Normal blood sugar is between 80-100. His AC1 was 10.1. Normal is below 6.5.

With his blood sugar being so high, his cholesterol levels were INSANE. Lil wifey here turned into the nastiest, meanest, most strict Drill Sergeant you can imagine.

We are now on month 9 and his levels are almost perfectly normal (cholesterol) and his blood sugar is rarely over 110. We had his AC1 levels checked in February and it was 5.

**We do not eat any fried foods at all. We eat out maybe once a month. I do a hellova alotta cooking…

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yes. We saw results within one month. We saw drastic results over a period of 6 months.

In August of last year my husband was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. His blood sugar was 284. Normal blood sugar is between 80-100. His AC1 was 10.1. Normal is below 6.5.

With his blood sugar being so high, his cholesterol levels were INSANE. Lil wifey here turned into the nastiest, meanest, most strict Drill Sergeant you can imagine.

We are now on month 9 and his levels are almost perfectly normal (cholesterol) and his blood sugar is rarely over 110. We had his AC1 levels checked in February and it was 5.

**We do not eat any fried foods at all. We eat out maybe once a month. I do a hellova alotta cooking

I like to cook. Bad part is, everything that's tasty is bad for me. I don't eat a lot of fried anything; save a SPAM sammich , or Andouille sausage with onions once in a while. I used to be a KFC frequenter but they've gone downhill IMO. Lately, I have been eating Talapia from BJ's; baked or broiled. :yum: I could actually eat that every day. Yeah there is also Taco Bell, though not that often; or B.K., again, not that often. Mostly it's WaWa subs. Got a shorty sub last night; for the first time EVER. Any other time, it's a foot long sub.

Once in a while I have a taste for just a big salad. So, I cheat and get that bunny food in a bag with extra carrots and just add a red onion, black olives and the "bad" Italian dressing and eat the whole thing; kinda defeating the purpose. I tried the low-cal dressing but that low-cal stuff stinks.
I guess I should get 7 bags of salad and have one every night.

That blood sugar 20 point range; sounds REALLY conservative/tight. Almost anything you eat can put you over the limit, seems like.....

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Were you taking any cold/sinus meds? They can raise your blood pressure temporarily while taking them. That BP reading is a bit high, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a little white coat syndrome or the effect from sinus meds.

Can't hurt as a male to do the things suggested anyway. Aerobic exercise, limited salt and caffiene intake, losing extra weight ect all have a positive effect on bp.

ZARA

I like to cook. Bad part is, everything that's tasty is bad for me. I don't eat a lot of fried anything; save a SPAM sammich , or Andouille sausage with onions once in a while. I used to be a KFC frequenter but they've gone downhill IMO. Lately, I have been eating Talapia from BJ's; baked or broiled. :yum: I could actually eat that every day. Yeah there is also Taco Bell, though not that often; or B.K., again, not that often. Mostly it's WaWa subs. Got a shorty sub last night; for the first time EVER. Any other time, it's a foot long sub.

Once in a while I have a taste for just a big salad. So, I cheat and get that bunny food in a bag with extra carrots and just add a red onion, black olives and the "bad" Italian dressing and eat the whole thing; kinda defeating the purpose. I tried the low-cal dressing but that low-cal stuff stinks.
I guess I should get 7 bags of salad and have one every night.

That blood sugar 20 point range; sounds REALLY conservative/tight. Almost anything you eat can put you over the limit, seems like.....

Start simple..grapefruit every day. My husband eats 1/2 at breakfast along with eggs and tomato. The other half for a snack/at lunch.

He very rarely gets bread any more or any bread product. 95% of our meats are cooked on the grill. And we eat ALOT of meat. I balance the meat with low carb veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. We eat a tone of chicken and turkey. I love chicken or turkey burgers. Hubs is allowed 2 buns (depending on his blood sugar- if it is high, he isn’t allowed any buns) and after that, if he wants more, he has to eat the patties without buns.

Check the labels of the sausage- if it is high in carbs, it is high in bad stuff. Simplest way to put it.

We use Italian dressing, I don’t worry too much about 2 tablespoons of dressing on his salad. In the grand scheme of things, it will not make that much of an impact.
Ex: Wishbone Italian Dressing
House Italian
Nutrition FactsServing Size 2 tbsp (30mL)
Servings Per Container 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Sodium 260mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 2g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
Vitamin E 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
We would eat more fish if I could ever figure out how to cook it properly…I have followed recipes to the letter and never cooked it right. I SUCK at cooking fish.

Eat more FRESH veggies/fruit! Just about any "berry" will do great things for your health. My husband must consume at least 4 portions a week. Eat healthier-it makes a HUGE difference.

He gets mad at me sometimes, like night before last, it was 2030 and he was reaching for the bag of chips, I yelled at him, "Oh No You May Not!" just like I would a kid...Oh Freaking Well..I really don't want to be a widow. And if that means I become the food nazi and force him to eat healthier-then so be it.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Coconut water.

I buy Vita coco.

100% natural and each sippy juice :)lol:) box has the potassium of a banana.

I haven't had a leg cramp since...blood pressure is always normal for me.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Were you taking any cold/sinus meds? They can raise your blood pressure temporarily while taking them. That BP reading is a bit high, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a little white coat syndrome or the effect from sinus meds.

Can't hurt as a male to do the things suggested anyway. Aerobic exercise, limited salt and caffiene intake, losing extra weight ect all have a positive effect on bp.

I take Allegra 180mg every day; can't function without it after Spring arrives; and I told the doc that. Last night I said I was going to start riding my old 10-speed again; just have to dig it outta the shed and get it back in working order.
Bicycles are easier on the knees, for me anyway. "White coat syndrome"? PPPTTTHHH! I've spent enough time in G'town U so hospitals and dr.'s don't phase me. It's the reasons I have to go that sometimes do a number on me.
My sedentary lifestyle could use tweaking, admittedly, but that just sounds like work.