Weruva

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I searched the forums and the most recent mentioning of this brand was back in 2011. I have had Boone and Gracie almost 10 months. Never intended to get a boy cat because we had a lot of issues with our last one and crystals. But... I didn't check under the tail and got a boy. Since then, I've been trying out all kinds of foods that might help prevent Boone forming crystals. I also joined a cat forum to get some advice. (Bad decision because those b** are crazy!). I did learn that feeding dry food only is a big cause of boy cats forming crystals. So, I have been giving different brands of wet food each month pretty much since Day 1 while looking on the internet for moisture rich foods.

I happen upon Weruva a couple months ago. Boone and Gracie went nuts over their food, especially the Chicken & Shrimp one. Plus I really love the names of their foods like Who Wants To Be A Meowinaire and Meowiss Bueller. :lol: I started researching this food brand and it says it's 85% moisture and doesn't contain a lot of bad stuff like grains and fillers. I decided to stop experimenting and just buy all Weruva products. They have a Classic line, BFF line and a knock off brand called Soulistic. They have so much variety that I can feed them a different flavor of food twice a day each week. (They have a lot more but I want to avoid "fish" when possible and I also prefer cans over pouches). And I will save money and have more food on hand longer.

Just curious if anyone feeds their cats Weruva, BFF, or Soulistic and what your thoughts on it are. I won't be switching to Weruva exclusively until I run out of my current stash but I have my Petco delivery in my cart ready to go when needed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Never heard of it. I've had my two cats, mother and son, for 12 years. They have been on Iams since day one and my boy has never had crystals or a UTI.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Never heard of it. I've had my two cats, mother and son, for 12 years. They have been on Iams since day one and my boy has never had crystals or a UTI.
I had a male cat growing up that lived to be 20 and never got one either. I think we fed him Meow Mix but can't remember. The one that developed crystals was on dry food only for 16 years which I learned is bad so that probably was the issue but he would not eat wet food at all!! Got so bad he had to have his penis removed and a new opening made to pee like a girl. Surgery was over $2000 so I'd like to avoid any issues if possible.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had a male cat growing up that lived to be 20 and never got one either. I think we fed him Meow Mix but can't remember. The one that developed crystals was on dry food only for 16 years which I learned is bad so that probably was the issue but he would not eat wet food at all!! Got so bad he had to have his penis removed and a new opening made to pee like a girl. Surgery was over $2000 so I'd like to avoid any issues if possible.
:yikes:

Mine is persnickety and only eats dry food and never people or wet food.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:yikes:

Mine is persnickety and only eats dry food and never people or wet food.
🤞 All this effort I am putting into Boone will hopefully pay off and no issue occur. I am also hoping that more wet food will bring his weight down some or at least maintain it. He's 16 lbs now! Gracie is 9 lbs.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
🤞 All this effort I am putting into Boone will hopefully pay off and no issue occur. I am also hoping that more wet food will bring his weight down some or at least maintain it. He's 16 lbs now! Gracie is 9 lbs.
I hope so, too.

My boy last weighed in at 23# and his mother at 8#.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We feed Purina Cat Chow (been using the no grain since it became available) mixed with Temptations crunchy treats for kibble and either Fancy Feast or Friskies for wet. The boys like the Delectables lickable stew. Miss Phoenix likes the Fancy Feast broth with shreds.

Only kitty we've had that developed crystals was Miss Cerridwen Blythe of fond memory. She had to be sent over the Rainbow at about age 17 in April 2000 due to kidney and liver failure.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We feed Purina Cat Chow (been using the no grain since it became available) mixed with Temptations crunchy treats for kibble and either Fancy Feast or Friskies for wet. The boys like the Delectables lickable stew. Miss Phoenix likes the Fancy Feast broth with shreds.

Only kitty we've had that developed crystals was Miss Cerridwen Blythe of fond memory. She had to be sent over the Rainbow at about age 17 in April 2000 due to kidney and liver failure.
I was just planning on feeding Boone and Gracie Blue Buffalo wet and dry. Then I learned of the cat owners "Holy Bible on cat food" and how certain brands rank. www.catfooddb.com That and the fact that it seems like they aren't stocking a lot of cat food on grocery store shelves. Found it was easier to shop on Chewy and Petco websites to ensure I get what I want.

I am switching them over to Weruva, BFF, and Soulistic at the moment. So far out of the ones I have given them, they have only rejected 3 out of the 12 so I am just keeping a list and will substitute those the next time around. My previous male cat ended up with really dry stools and would get constipated often. Probably from not getting enough water because I never fed wet food (which they wouldn't eat). Obviously I am trying to do better with Boone and Gracie so it's been wet and dry food since Day 1 of me getting them. I learned that cats get their moisture from food, not the water bowl which I never knew.

DaSDGuy

I learned that cats get their moisture from food, not the water bowl which I never knew.
That's news to me. I must have other creatures living in the house because the gravity-fed water bowl I placed next to the food bowl needs refilling every couple of days.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
That's news to me. I must have other creatures living in the house because the gravity-fed water bowl I placed next to the food bowl needs refilling every couple of days.
:sshrug: I read that cats originated in the desert and therefore don't have a lot of water sources available to them. Therefore, they would get their moisture from their prey. Domesticated cats apparently don't drink much from their water bowls so that is why feeding a dry diet only causes so many health problems. It "seemed" when I had a water fountain for the cats, they drank more but that might have been because I could hear them drinking (sounded like a dog drinking from a water bowl) more than from a regular water bowl.

My husband's family always had cats so when our first cat started drinking A LOT, he told me to take it to the vet. Turned out she had diabetes and much like in humans, it caused excessive thirst. Got so bad that the cat would go next door and drink from our neighbor's above ground pool.

DaSDGuy

:sshrug: I read that cats originated in the desert and therefore don't have a lot of water sources available to them. Therefore, they would get their moisture from their prey. Domesticated cats apparently don't drink much from their water bowls so that is why feeding a dry diet only causes so many health problems. It "seemed" when I had a water fountain for the cats, they drank more but that might have been because I could hear them drinking (sounded like a dog drinking from a water bowl) more than from a regular water bowl.

My husband's family always had cats so when our first cat started drinking A LOT, he told me to take it to the vet. Turned out she had diabetes and much like in humans, it caused excessive thirst. Got so bad that the cat would go next door and drink from our neighbor's above ground pool.
Actually cats originated from the Fertile Crescent in the middle east. It was called that because it was NOT a desert, but a place where things grow in abudance, such as food. I've had cats for the last thirty years. They all drank from their water bowls and none had diabetes. Not everything available to read is accurate. See the previous posts about the crazy cat people web pages for example.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Actually cats originated from the Fertile Crescent in the middle east. It was called that because it was NOT a desert, but a place where things grow in abudance, such as food. I've had cats for the last thirty years. They all drank from their water bowls and none had diabetes. Not everything available to read is accurate. See the previous posts about the crazy cat people web pages for example.
That was the only cat I've had in the 40+ years of owning cats who had diabetes. I am not saying that cats don't drink from water bowls. Just saying that they may or may not get enough moisture from drinking. My two rarely drink from their bowl. I feel better in my heart buying them more moisture rich wet food. I was the one who started the "crazy cat people" thread :lol: and got lambasted because I didn't follow their "advice". I believe that each person should do what they feel is best. They don't seem to think that way. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That was the only cat I've had in the 40+ years of owning cats who had diabetes. I am not saying that cats don't drink from water bowls. Just saying that they may or may not get enough moisture from drinking. My two rarely drink from their bowl. I feel better in my heart buying them more moisture rich wet food. I was the one who started the "crazy cat people" thread :lol: and got lambasted because I didn't follow their "advice". I believe that each person should do what they feel is best. They don't seem to think that way. :lol:
Mine don't drink out of the bowl either. They much prefer the shower or rainwater collected in plant dishes.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Mine are divas and want it fresh from the tap. Makes washing dishes and brushing my teeth very difficult.
😂
Mine sit on the edge of the tub when I shower. Fatass sticks his head in to drink and I have to shove him out. Little mama at least has the decorum to wait for me to open the curtain and exit the tub. 😹

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
😂
Mine sit on the edge of the tub when I shower. Fatass sticks his head in to drink and I have to shove him out. Little mama at least has the decorum to wait for me to open the curtain and exit the tub. 😹
We had a cat that would wait for us to get out of the shower and then go and drink what was left on the floor. Boone has to walk across the side of the tub so he can get his fat self up onto the sink by way of the toilet.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We had a cat that would wait for us to get out of the shower and then go and drink what was left on the floor. Boone has to walk across the side of the tub so he can get his fat self up onto the sink by way of the toilet.
He doesn't even try to get in the sink anymore!